IGNORED

Oil Level Sight Glass

VerntureVet

So Please clear this debate up for Me Vs Another VR owner.

The service manual states to add oil run engine then turn it off and check that the oil is between the MIN Max lines in the sight glass. So when I changed my oil I did just that. When the engine is running the pump draws up some of the oil and in the Sight Glass I am just @ the MIN level. Another VR owner was checking out my hack job and tells me that it should be @ MAX when its running.

So check the level when running or when not running?

The oil level should be at or slightly below half on the glass. IF you fill it to the max line you will get oil sucked up into the air cleaner box that will then make a mess. When doing a change, start the engine and let it warm up a bit to be sure all of the air in the oil lines are purged of air, shut it off and wait a good 15 minutes for the oil to drain back down from the top of the engine, now check your oil level with the bike level. I check mine on the center stand.

When running, on the center stand, I have no visible oil in the sight glass. On the side stand there is never any visible oil in the sight glass.

I have never seen a combustion engine that requires you to check oil level while its running?

most automotive transmission fluid levels are checked while running.

as stated above: engine off, engine level, just below center of window is perfect.

Roger that when I changed the oil I was on level ground on my center stand. I added enough oil to just see it in the bottom of the sight glass then started the engine let it run a bit and turned it off. once everything settled down I topped it off to just below the top (max) line. I trusted the manual. This guy was very adamant that I was going to blow my motor from too little oil to the point he offered to buy me a quart to top it off. lol.