IGNORED

6 dui's and still on the road!!??

steamer

You can't stop every body from doing something like this. The problem is with the judges and lawyers who do not use the laws that are already in place. They let them go with a slap on the hands and pat themselves on the back for doing a good job even though it cost someone their life.

You hit the nail right on the head, something should have been done after the second DUI. You can bet you a$$ he never got his license back after the first one, not with his stellar record of criminal activity. So way did he keep getting put back out on the street. What ever happened to 3 strikes your out. I thought career criminals are suppose to stay in jail. After the third DUI it should have been obvious that this guy was going to keep doing it and kill someone in the end.

You hit the nail right on the head, something should have been done after the second DUI. You can bet you a$$ he never got his license back after the first one, not with his stellar record of criminal activity. So way did he keep getting put back out on the street. What ever happened to 3 strikes your out. I thought career criminals are suppose to stay in jail. After the third DUI it should have been obvious that this guy was going to keep doing it and kill someone in the end.

And it did.

Nasty just nasty. The police up in Ottawa are just as bad when it comes to motorcycles. A few years ago a driver pulled out of a mall parking lot in front of my brother. He hit the guy right in the front tire my brother went over the hood and the bike, fully loaded HD Roadking, was a right off. The bike was only a year old. The cop never even gave the guy a ticket for pulling out in front of him. It took my brothers insurance company filing a complaint against the police officer to get things "corrected". But my brother says that's a normal situation when it comes to motorcycle accidents in Ottawa.

• 4 months later...

Are your judge elected or appointed. find out and vote them out of office. Nobody really hears about a judge, so when they come up for a vote most of us just click stay in office.

I had something similar to this a long time ago, I went out of my way to let people know what that judge had done and he was voted out. Sad news, he is a lawyer, went back to private practice

This state has been good to me (New Mexico) but has failed the people when it comes to crime especially DUI.

Every major vehicle wreck is by a repeat DUI offended. I say every because it is at least 90% drunk drivers.

Here there is loss of life weekly by a DUI offender and usually it's multiple lives lost. Then the reports start coming in the offenders have been arrested and convicted of 4 to 6 DUIs. Heck just last week 2 individuals were arrested with a BAC od .40 and .38 on a scale of .08 being drunk. A few months ago a man was arrested for his 20th DUI. Don't know the answer to stop this craziness except slap them so had the first time the can't afford to do it again and if that doesn't work long jail sentences.

DUI drivers are killing good people all the time its never good out come. DUI is not a petty crime the weapon they drive weighs tons so the crime should fit the weapon of choise by the DUI driver. Sorry this may sound harsh but it hits home for a lot of us.

My take on the problem:

I was on jury duty. It was a fatal DUI case. I asked if we were going to be able to get his prior driving record. Answer was "NO". I then told the judge "that if we cannot take into consideration previous DUI convictions (if any), I would not serve on the jury. Alcoholism is a disease and needs to be treated as such....but in the meantime, no driving allowed. I've seen to many broken bodies in my lifetime due to DUI driving, and frankly blame the legal system for making it worse". Judge thought about what I said and then let me go.

One DUI is all it should take to lose the license. 2 DUI's should make that permanent. Period. Sorry...but I've lost friends and watched the guy walk away with no jail time and still driving. I don't take kindly to that.

My take on the problem:

I was on jury duty. It was a fatal DUI case. I asked if we were going to be able to get his prior driving record. Answer was "NO". I then told the judge "that if we cannot take into consideration previous DUI convictions (if any), I would not serve on the jury. Alcoholism is a disease and needs to be treated as such....but in the meantime, no driving allowed. I've seen to many broken bodies in my lifetime due to DUI driving, and frankly blame the legal system for making it worse". Judge thought about what I said and then let me go.

One DUI is all it should take to lose the license. 2 DUI's should make that permanent. Period. Sorry...but I've lost friends and watched the guy walk away with no jail time and still driving. I don't take kindly to that.

another blunder on top of the one the courts already made. The judge let you go because you brought up an excellent point. However, everyone in the judicial system has a buddy, a friend or relative that trade favors.mwhat he should have done IMO, is allow the previous record. Nothing ever happens to those that cause horrific DUI accidents. A disease or not, they wipe out people, turn lives and families into a mess and they hardly get so much as a broken finger. Careless, unnecessary acts such as this really make me angry and I have lost more than my cool plenty of times when I almost get T boned or head on whether in car or on bike. Some guy, an alleged adult chooses to drink, can't hold his liquor, and selfishly drives his car and tries to take me out or my family, or any other innocent person and I shouldn't wanna choke em out?