IGNORED

Clear Veiw Windsheild

Guest FiremanDoug

Guest FiremanDoug

Who has a Clear Veiw Windsheild & what do you like about it or dislike. How tall, vent or no vent? I am thinking about replacing the factory sheild on my bike.

thanks Doug

I have one but I bought it back in '99 and they have changed them since then. Mine does not swoop back nor does it have the lip at the top like the new ones do. That being said, I honestly think that they made the best shield on the market. A LOT of our members here use them and I think that most everybody is very pleased. I have the extra large one on my bike and I do have to look through it. I like it though.

I have the one with the vent and love it. Initialy I bought a used X-Large from another member here without a vent. Later I bought one of the Honda vents and installed it myself. Since dropping the bike last fall I had to replace it and some how ordered a Large. The top of the shield hits right at my line of vision so am in the process of exchanging it for another X-Large. Clearview has great customer service in this regard as it had been several months since I ordered and recieved this Large during our winter months. They do require that the protective film not be removed.

As to the vent I feel it helps remove that dead air just behind the shield when just barley open. Or on really hot days that extra air is a welcome relief when fully open.

At any rate I liked the Clearview shield enoungh to have replaced it with another.

Larry

Thanks for starting this thread. I plan to order a Clearview this weekend and I'm trying to decide between the XL and XXL. I look through the windshield now so I'll have to look through either one of those. My question is, will the XXL provide significantly better wind protection for the passenger?

DT

I have the XXL shield and my wife (5'6") says there is no buffetting on the back at all. I also have the vent, and definitely recommend you get that. I like the vent option so much, I even installed one on my stock windshield. The only drawback to a vent is that when open, they allow bugs, or parts of bugs, to reach you. I have considered inserting some window screen in mine, but haven't done that yet.

Doug. I have the standard height one on my RSTD. I did quite a bit of research befor ordering. I look through mine in normal riding, but can look over it by sitting tall in the saddle. Some of the reviews I read stated that some did not like the curve up at the top of the shield as it causes distortion.

I really like mine and don't think you can go wrong.

Guest Popeye

Top is supposed to be at eye level. Then you can decide to look through or over as needed.

Anyone who has been whited-out by a fog patch in a low spot knows how instantaneous looking over must be. It happened to me on a curve once, at dark, & oncoming lights....if I hadn't been able to see over windshield, it would have been a horrible wreck.

Dumb luck that the bike came with that windshield. Too easy to drop an inch & look through, or sit up an inch to look over.

I've seen folks with those taaaalll ones that nearly cover the rear seat.....seeing that gives me the creeps.

Hi:

I have the large model on my RS Venture. I also did some careful measurements and some communication with Clearview before deciding on this height. My main reason for selecting another shield was that the factory one was downright dangerous in rain. I could not see through it in moderate rain and stretching to look up over the shield was not a comfortable option when you do it for one or two hours. I am 6 ft, 1/2 inch tall and my normal line of sight is now about an inch over the top of the LARGE shield which is right about where I want it. In rain, no problems... I see clearly over the top. There is also less buffeting and wind noise for me and passenger. I realize that the larger shields provide better wind protection, but for me, I wanted to be able to see and continue riding in rain. Oh, and I also have the vent and love it. Leaving it slightly open reduces buffeting and noise even more.

Spaceman:322:

I agree with Popeye..... I live in a rainy wet area here on the west coast. I ride year round and yes in the summer the tall shield is fantastic for riding, but, come the wet weather in fall and winter, it IS dangerous.

I am going to take mine off and have a plastic shop shorten it down for me..... as the Venture is the first "big" bike I have had it is a live and learn experiance. And I do like the live part.............

ride safe

Kevin

Guest FiremanDoug

How about the tinting on the wind sheild any pros or cons. I also see that they have factory seconds, any one try save some money on these? and are they worth the savings.

I got the medium shield with the tint and the vent. Tint is not too dark and I'm not really sure how much it cuts glare but I like it better than the clear ones I've seen. Definitely get the vent, as far as the seconds, you're taking a chance. They are pretty good about explaining what the problem with the shield is, but to me,for the amount saved, it wasn'tworth it. Main advantage would be that you get the shield right away as it's already made.

How about the tinting on the wind sheild any pros or cons. I also see that they have factory seconds, any one try save some money on these? and are they worth the savings.

I just got a factory second XXL clear with vent. Sort of wanted the gray tint, but oh well. I didn't want to wait as we are doing a trip end of April, and saved about $60. I can't see the imperfection they mentioned??? The wife says much quieter air on her head. Yet to use it in the rain to see how much better it sheds water, but over all I really like it. The only issue I have is, because of the difference in angle, when the sun high it now reflects off the gas cap right to the spot on the windshield I look. I guess I need a gas cap cover?

Al - The only issue I have is, because of the difference in angle, when the sun high it now reflects off the gas cap right to the spot on the windshield I look. I guess I need a gas cap cover?

I had the same issue with the chrome ignition cover. Went back to the factory black, so much better.

Larry

I like the vent. Removes some dead air in hot weather as others have noted.

I also noticed it helps in the rain to crack it open a bit. The water dripping from my helmet and also the runoff gathering at the top edge of the windshield flies forward to the back side of the windshield add more water spots to see though. Venting it a bit removes that effect and keeps the backside of the windshield drier. Next step is to try out the new Raincoat product and let its already decent wind clearing action (above 40mph) perform better.

I should also mention I have the tinted Clearview shield on my '07 blue/black RSV. Work fine at night and I think it looks nicer by day than plain clear. It is a very light tint.

- Mike

I have had 2 of them on 2 different RSV's and love them. The wider taller combo cuts the wind dramatically for my wife and the vent is a must for hot weather riding. I'll be getting one for the 1st gen I picked up and will go with the tint

:happy34:

Guess what showed up at my door on Friday? My new XXL w/vent Clearview! I can't wait to get it put on. Would have yesterday, but I was doing yard work and I'm gonna ride today after church. I hope I, and especially my wife, loves it as much as everyone else!

:sign woo hoo:

Love mine. I wanted a tinted medium unit (to see over the top), but hey had the large clear in stock. Only regret is in fog. Cannot see through it! I used RainX and Pledge. Didn't help in fog. Definately will order the medium next time. I may even cut this one down some.

In rain, no problem. Vent is great. Custom flip at top really helps buffeting.

Ponch

About 4 months ago i bought a factory second tinted with the vent. They claimed it had a 1" scar near the left hand side of the vent . I have never found it nor did my buddies that have looked for it. Overall i wouldnt trade it for anyother, have rode in the rain and on hot days beat the stock one hands down ..also i got it for about 75.00 dollars cheaper.. best by ive made for it so far:080402gudl_prv:

I have an XXL tinted with the vent. The only thing I dont like about mine is the rain rolls to the edge of the shield and turns on the edge and beads up on the inside of the shield. Quite a bit too. Any ideas of how to prevent this? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Might try a length of clear vinyl tubing slit on one side placed on the top edge. Never thought of solving the problem until you mentioned it.

I just applied the new Raincoat plastic wax to it, so will wait and see what happens, one change at a time. The increased rolloff rate could make the water spilling over teh top edge and down the back side better or worse. I waxed the inside also so when the water does roll over and down, it might just keep rolling down due to gravity and back winds.

Of course since I applied the wax, the rain ran away, possibly for several days so will have to now wait and see.

- Mike