IGNORED

My windscreen full "up"

Darn iPhone. Windscreen FELL up not full up

Coming down the off ramp after my 3500 mile round trip to Sturgis where of course the highlight was @cowpuc I saw light between my baggershield and the top of the dash on my 07. I came to a stop and literally my baggershield had come UP and almost out of the detents and certainly the two screws. I reached up and slide it into place and rode the last 2 miles home at 25mph. This morning I started unscrewing things to get to it and sure enough not only did both through screws disappear but all the screws that cinch the shield at each notch were loose.

I replaced the missing 6mm screws but used blue locktite this time. Only 20,000 miles since i installed the baggershield.

Love it by the way.

I also noticed that the hinge screws on my left bag had come loose and I tightened them about one month ago. Again locktite-this time.

Just sharing ...

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar
Spelling.

....I replaced the missing 6mm screws but used blue locktite this time. Only 20,000 miles since i installed the baggershield.

Love it by the way.

I also noticed that the hinge screws on my left bag had come loose and I tightened them about one month ago. Again locktite-this time.

Just sharing ...

VentureFar...

Do NOT use locktite any where near the ABS plastic body parts. The fumes from the locktite will eat away the plastic. I believe this applies to ALL types of locktite.

I looked. It is permalock. I only used one drop on each of two screws. If it eats the baggershield in 2 years verses it flying off the bike in two years it will actually be a financial wash.

I will call permalock on Monday and ask about the affectual distance of the harm.

Thanks for the head's up.

VentureFar...

RTV works pretty well. Best luck I have had with it on plastic stuff is to let it semi-set up. Then install screws. It just sort of "gums" up the threads but does sufficiently enough they dont seem to back out.

If I open it up and take the two set screws out, wire brush them and reinstall with some gummy junk all will be right with the world again?

VentureFar...

Maybe, the problem is the chemicals in the loctite attach the plastic even in very smal amounts and cause it to stress crack and crumble. You are well advised to keep a close eye on those areas where you used the loctite looking for any evidence of cracks. The plastic used on bikes is generally ABS, not an overly sophisicated plastic. We use a lot of engineered plastics where I work and any amorphous plastic , even highly engineered ones like Ultem will stress crack in short order if loctite is used, funny that the crystaline plastics like PEEK do not suffer any ill affects from loctite. On a 1 to 10 scale, PEEK is about a 9 and ABS is about a 3 as far as chemical robustness goes.

Bottom line as stated above do not use loctite type products any where near the plastic parts on your bike, all it takes is the fumes.