IGNORED

Yamaha releases the new TourMax!

Great White

Seen here as a test mule but very close to final form, drawing heavily on the revolutionary 1983 Venture touring model and the awesomely powerful 1700 Vmax, Yamaha engineers have created a new model and new "Power Touring" market. Enter; The TourMax!

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/nnnnur2g%20copy_zpsbesmzq1h.jpg

Details are limited at this point, but it is reported to use a modified 2015 VMax frame specially stiffened for sharper handling with touring loads. Body work is chosen for its excellent wind protection, ground clearance and a nod to Yamaha's original heavy weight touring powerhouse.

Engine power delivery has been tuned to increase low rpm torque to get heavier loads moving while also providing pavement rippling drives out of corners and at your local stop lights.

Yamaha's special "active" intake system simulates the Vboost of 1st generation VMaxes starting at 5000 rpm, but is reworked significantly to make 25% more peak HP/torque output than the 2015 VMax while still providing improve low end "grunt".

An extended swingarm was required as early testing revealed a tendency for the bike to rear up the back tire under heavy throttle application with a passenger or luggage loads on board. An unexpected benefit of the extended swingarm confirguration was the fitment of a larger capacity fuel tank for extended cruising range. Quick handling characteristics are retained though aggressive steering geometry and special profile tires front and rear. A trailer hitch option is not provided nor recommended due to the extended swingarm configuration.

Top speed is expected to be in the 175 MPH range (due to the aerodynamic concessions necessary for a still air touring motorcycle), 1/4 mile is reported to be in the low 10 seconds with a passenger on board. Cruising speed in top gear is reported to be an easy 80 mph at 2500 rpm. Fuel mileage is reported to only be 40 MPG due to the prodigious power production.

Native bluetooth connectivity for engine parameter monitoring, audio systems, phone connectivity, intercom and 1 mile "bike to bike" communications are standard, as well as a 150 Amp alternator and multiple USB charging ports. On board navigation is handled via 7 inch touch screen with TomTom and voice nav via included Bluetooth helmet headsets.

A special 20 Gig "solid state" hard drive is fitted for music storage and playback. "On board" service and owners manuals can be displayed on the navigation and entertainment screens. The system runs on Android os with a proprietary voice command function for hands free dialing and searching while underway. A separate "fold out" touch screen is provided for passenger access to the navigation and entertainment system. Wifi connectivity and its own mobile hotspot allows checking email and internet information searching while away from home.

Yamaha has employed a special team of "enforcers" who will roam the country side and, in accordance with the ownership contract purchasers must sign, severely injure anyone found fitting a trailer, sidecar or "farkles" to the TMax. Owners will be given 24 hours to remove the offending items, non compliance means beatings will be administered. The unit will then be retrieved , returned to factory specs and passed on to a more deserving owner.

Front and rear 1080p HD wide angle cameras allow for trip and accident recording via micro sd media. Any 4+ wheeled vehicle operators found to be liable for severe accident damage or loss of the TMax or TMax riders will be visited by the Yamaha "Enforcer team" and severely beaten.

Special power ports in the rear trunk allow the installation of defibrillators for older riders and passengers that have heart palpitations on heavy application of throttle. Special seat pad inserts can be ordered that allow for containment and easy disposal of unintended fecal and bladder release.

Yamaha engineers, mindful of potential theft attempts of such a special purpose motorcycle, equipped the TMax with an active alarm system that first warns intruders away with voice prompts. It then activates the alarm and immobilizer. If the theft attempt has not yet been deterred it pepper sprays the area , followed by a tazer shock if the theft attempt is continued. Tazer shock deterrent also automatically activates a two way paging system to the owner, activates an on board facial recognition camera and simultaneously dials local police with street location and GPS coordinates. Tazer shocks continue on a 45 second interval until the owner deactivates the system or police enter a special code via a dedicated phone in line for each TMax. A special proximity sensor opens a concealed compartment and makes an aluminum baseball bat available to the owner on approach.

Yamaha's target audience is reported to be the mature rider that still has that evil glint in their eye, a distaste for social conformity and isn't afraid of the global implications of slowing the rotation of the earth under the mighty onslaught of the TMax's rear tire.

Expected release of this hand built "Arliegh Burke class" heavy touring model is spring 2017 and only in limited numbers, expected to be no more than 1 unit per dealer.

Industry insiders have commented that Honda is considering pulling it's Goldwing off the market after several riders reported their bikes jumping off clean off the road and into the ditch as the Yamaha test mule rode past.

Pricing has yet to be released but it is expected to be in the equivalent range of one pound of unobtanium....

moon.gif

crackup.gif

Edited by Great White

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typed out the following then thought NO, I better not post it, some of the guys won't like it.

But then I thought....we can't talk about Religion, we can't talk about Politics.......but by gum we can talk about Motor-Sickles!

So let's rumble, I want a 3rd Gen that I like! (I typed out the title afterwards as well.)

Got to say that sounds like a real nice bike and Wow! would it perform.

But if it looked like that and had 1st Gen styling, sorry to say I wouldn't buy it. (I believe when we got on this topic before Freebird said the same thing.)

Never liked the 1st Gen, looked to much like the old Gold Wings (Which I never liked either, and they have morphed into the current style Gold Wing, which I don't like. Everytime I see a white one I think, "That thing looks more like my refrigerator, than a motorcycle!")

It's all personal taste of course and no matter how great a product is, if it doesn't appeal to you on some other level your not going to buy it.

So IMHO please Yamaha give it all that great performance and super high-tech gadget whatever, but don't cover it in plastic slab panels and make it look like something else, other than a motorcycle. I don't want to open the hood, remove a million pieces of plastic to get at things!

Most of of us on here are in our 50 - 60 or more and remember when the 1st Gen's came out they were very modern cutting edge, in a style that was almost sort of space-age looking. (Remember, at the time.) I think you either loved it or hated it. Well I hated it! I know some on here are going to hate this! Don't get me wrong, I admire the bike, the engineering, the motor, the handling and all that. But I just don't want MY bike to look space-age.

I guess I want it to look kind of old school, kind of basic motorcycle. Where I want the modern engineering is inside. In the motor, the performance, the handling, the brakes and you can even give me super space-age rubber composite tires if you like.

The fact is for me because Honda stopped making the Valkryie which I liked and I was trying to find a good used one. I stumbled across the 2nd Gen. (Good work Yamaha on promoting your product, never heard of it, till I saw one!) I would never have gotten here if I had not seen a 2nd Gen and liked the look of it. And then while researching to see if it actually was a good idea to buy one, I found this site and now I'm on my 2nd, 2nd Gen.

So more 2nd Gen looks in the 3rd Gen I say.......:stickinouttounge:

And as they say......Too each, his own! (Who is THEY anyways?!)

I typed out the following then thought NO, I better not post it, some of the guys won't like it.

But then I thought....we can't talk about Religion, we can't talk about Politics.......but by gum we can talk about Motor-Sickles!

So let's rumble, I want a 3rd Gen that I like! (I typed out the title afterwards as well.)

Got to say that sounds like a real nice bike and Wow! would it perform.

But if it looked like that and had 1st Gen styling, sorry to say I wouldn't buy it. (I believe when we got on this topic before Freebird said the same thing.)

Never liked the 1st Gen, looked to much like the old Gold Wings (Which I never liked either, and they have morphed into the current style Gold Wing, which I don't like. Everytime I see a white one I think, "That thing looks more like my refrigerator, than a motorcycle!")

It's all personal taste of course and no matter how great a product is, if it doesn't appeal to you on some other level your not going to buy it.

So IMHO please Yamaha give it all that great performance and super high-tech gadget whatever, but don't cover it in plastic slab panels and make it look like something else, other than a motorcycle. I don't want to open the hood, remove a million pieces of plastic to get at things!

Most of of us on here are in our 50 - 60 or more and remember when the 1st Gen's came out they were very modern cutting edge, in a style that was almost sort of space-age looking. (Remember, at the time.) I think you either loved it or hated it. Well I hated it! I know some on here are going to hate this! Don't get me wrong, I admire the bike, the engineering, the motor, the handling and all that. But I just don't want MY bike to look space-age.

I guess I want it to look kind of old school, kind of basic motorcycle. Where I want the modern engineering is inside. In the motor, the performance, the handling, the brakes and you can even give me super space-age rubber composite tires if you like.

The fact is for me because Honda stopped making the Valkryie which I liked and I was trying to find a good used one. I stumbled across the 2nd Gen. (Good work Yamaha on promoting your product, never heard of it, till I saw one!) I would never have gotten here if I had not seen a 2nd Gen and liked the look of it. And then while researching to see if it actually was a good idea to buy one, I found this site and now I'm on my 2nd, 2nd Gen.

So more 2nd Gen looks in the 3rd Gen I say.......:stickinouttounge:

And as they say......Too each, his own! (Who is THEY anyways?!)

So you want a cruiser style, not a touring bike.

Only problem is Yammy would just end up neutering it to appeal to that market. Same as they did with the Gen 2 models.

Personally, I want it "space age" (I am in the 50 age group by the by!). And since I made it, I get to decide! :p

I wrote it up "tongue in cheek" for a little fun to be a new market segment: Power touring.

It's not meant to imply a 3rd gen of the current cruiser models.

Plus, Yammy already has a power cruiser, it's called a VMax. :rolleyes:

That's cool, to each their own.

Anyways, lets not turn this into another "gen 3" thread. That's not what it is.

It's just me having a little fun with photoshop and I thought I would share.

:moon:

Yep all in fun.

That is the point! :banana:

Well the V-max is a power cruiser.....now we just need to turn it into a power tourer for mature riders who want the performance and good looks of a "MOTORCYCLE" and not some space cadets galactic time machine! (Actually a time machine would be cool!)

Yep all in fun.

That is the point! :banana:

Well the V-max is a power cruiser.....now we just need to turn it into a power tourer for mature riders who want the performance and good looks of a "MOTORCYCLE" and not some space cadets galactic time machine! (Actually a time machine would be cool!)

Grab yourself a couple pics off the 'net, then grab photoshop (or Gimp, it's free) and start a thread with some concept pictures.

Ya just never know when some corporate search engine is going to pop it up on a screen somewhere that matters.

Heck, If I was a designer at Yammy, I'd be surfing the 'net in my down time for ideas too!

I am also a "mature" rider and it's hard to argue that the early to mid 80's were not a golden age for "motorcycles". Sport and touring bikes were light years better than anything before them.

Long distance tourers had the Wing, Venture, Cavalcade and Voyager.

Sport bikes were going out of the stratosphere with VF's, FJ's, GSXR's, FZ's and Ninjas. Sporting tackle seemed like it came straight from the paddock to the dealer floor those days.

Magna's, Madura's, LTD's, VMax's, Specters, Maxims and Eliminators ruled the boulevards and stop lights.

Feet forward pipe scrapers was the Virago's, Vulcans and shadows.

Two strokes even had their time in the sun with the RD500LC and Suzuki RG500. Even a clean sniffing RZ350LC was pumped out that could take down the hottest 500/600's of the day.

And the Turbo bikes. Oh Gawd the Turbo Bikes! GPZ750, XN85, SECA Turbo and CX500/650 Turbo's. They were all "roll on kings", but the CX650 was a monster. Bikes sporting nearly twice it's displacement would have fits trying to outrun it in a roll on contest. It took (at the time) hyper-bikes like the FJ1100 and VF1000R to best it. Even today's Hyperbikes would have a hard time at besting the CX650 in roll on. The GPZ750 Turbo has a cult following these days. Turbo torque rules when it's on the boil....

Except for a few standouts like the RD and XS series, bikes before the 80's were competent at best, stellar at nothing.

The 80's relegated everything before it to merely "quaint" and interesting character pieces. Hopelessly outgunned in all arenas.

Golden age, plastic and all. Years of my teenage youth. Well worth a revival!

:)

Unfortunately, they also sparked off the motorcycling equivalent of "mutual assured destruction" as each manufacturer had to out do the other in every aspect, every year. Started and arms race that gave us 600's that even experienced riders couldn't tap their full performance and spiraled prices right up and out of the stratosphere. Then there was the collapse and glut of previous years models choking the dealer warehouses...golden years to dark times turned on the head of a pin.

But I still remember when I bought all my bikes (new or used) with cash from summer jobs.

Loan? for a motorcycle? North of $15,000 (CAD) for a 600 CC supersport? $20,000+ for a cruiser? WTH?

Not a chance when I was 16 years old. But a summer of two of hard work would put a new $4000-5000 pocket rocket within my reach.

$3000-4000 would put a hot 550/600 under me that I could do some serious rockin' on. had an GS550ES, man that little bugger would book! Wish I still was able to fit on one. But I'm a little older, a little slower and...ahem, a "little" heavier.....:(

I still remember my buddy rolling up on his new 84 V65 Magna, 4,000 bucks and instant king of the high school parking lot....

Ah, better times......:rolleyes:

Edited by Great White

I really thought the Vetter fairings were cool. Take a naked bike add you type you liked (they had a couple) and you had a custom touring bike. Well built and didn't crack and rattle apart like some (ahhmm) do. And easier to fix then plastic. but I have to admit, a vetter fairing would look stupid on say 1500 vulcan. I kind of like the angular features. Thus being OK with the Vision by Victory.

I really thought the Vetter fairings were cool. Take a naked bike add you type you liked (they had a couple) and you had a custom touring bike. Well built and didn't crack and rattle apart like some (ahhmm) do. And easier to fix then plastic. but I have to admit, a vetter fairing would look stupid on say 1500 vulcan. I kind of like the angular features. Thus being OK with the Vision by Victory.

Dunno bro, mine is 32 years old and all the plastic is in the same shape as the day it was cast.

ABS is super easy to repair if you learn how to plastic weld. You can even modify and build with it. Like so:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpstkryxlrv.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpsrhpebj8l.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpsir5vjra1.jpg

(Euro spec CBX750F headlights grafted into a VF750F fairing)

No chemicals, not resins no real fumes. Just a littel heat and some abs rods. Strong enough to do the job and less than half the weight of comparable fiberglass construction.

That bike, the way it is pictured, would get my money out of my pocket. Retro styling meets new age technology. If you think guys my age won't buy into that maybe you should Google the popularity of the "new" Dodge Challenger. And try to get your hands on a Challenger Hellcat. I want to carry my stuff, be able to scrape foot pegs / floor boards, and run 135 on occasion.

I would mortgage my home for that bike. And the first time I rode into work @ FX Harley Davidson the fun would begin. And wait till I put the damn thing on the dyno. Probably get my @$$ beat when I asked them how much money would have to be spent on an HD to get those kind of dyno numbers. One of my (metric) mechanics has an old Kawasaki Voyager that just put down 87 rear wheel horse power and 126 foot pounds of torque. That made the HD boys mad.

I'm with The Tooch on this one. If they come out with a new "sport touring" style Venture, I'm sure I would think it was cool but I would not buy one. Give me the cruiser style. I did a photoshopped version and posted it here several years ago. It was simply the new VMax engine in a second gen. Very simple.

I also don't get why people continue to say that Yamaha neutered the second gen. As compared to WHAT? If you look at any dyne readings and/or specs you will see that it is rated about the same HP as the first gen. People who keep claiming it is way off the first gen just haven't looked very hard. The only thing really different is that they used a higher gear ratio and a rev limiter. A VMax rear and Dyna 3000 ignition gets it very close again with a bit of extra weight being about the only real difference.

The fact is, Yamaha will never be able to build a new Venture that is going to please us all. There are those in the first gen camp and those in the second gen camp. The second gen is much more compatible with my current riding style. Must more comfortable for me and at this point, comfort is paramount.

Performance is fine with me. I still enjoying cranking that throttle at times. That VMax motor in a second gen style bike though would be plenty for me. Even if they detune it a bit for better fuel economy, it would still be plenty for me.

I don't know that I'll ever buy another new bike. I turned 60 this year and the 2013 Road Glide that I bought new in the fall of 2013 may well last me through the rest of my riding days. Eileen and I did about 340 miles on it yesterday and it is a very comfortable bike. In spite of all the talk, my 2013 has never had a recall and never yet been back to the dealer for any reason...well....the first service was part of the deal so it went back for the first oil change and etc. With the very few performance modifications I have made, it performs just fine and most of our riding is between 65 and 75 MPH anyway.

That is NOT to say that I would never consider getting back on a new Venture. If Yamaha were to come through with a new VMax powered cruiser style 3rd gen, it might be hard for me to pass up. :)

...I also don't get why people continue to say that Yamaha neutered the second gen. As compared to WHAT? If you look at any dyne readings and/or specs you will see that it is rated about the same HP as the first gen. People who keep claiming it is way off the first gen just haven't looked very hard. The only thing really different is that they used a higher gear ratio and a rev limiter. A VMax rear and Dyna 3000 ignition gets it very close again with a bit of extra weight being about the only real difference...

Likely from the years they choked 'em down to 28mm carbs and something like mid to high 70's for BHP.

That's kinda "neutered" compared to the 98 BHP of the Gen 1 engines....:)

In all fairness, I do think they bumped 'em back up to the 98 BHP in the early 2000's somewhere....

Whatever. I've owned an '83, an '88, an '89 with VMax conversion and two '99 Second gens. With a VMax rear and Dyna 3000, the second gen was very close. Call it neutered if you want but it was very close and much more comfortable. and no, they did not bump them in the 2000's. The 1999 Venture specs rated it at 99 HP. It never changed. Dyno results were very similar between it and the first gen. The gearing and rev limiter were the seat of the pants difference.

Whatever. I've owned an '83, an '88, an '89 with VMax conversion and two '99 Second gens. With a VMax rear and Dyna 3000, the second gen was very close. Call it neutered if you want but it was very close and much more comfortable. and no, they did not bump them in the 2000's. The 1999 Venture specs rated it at 99 HP. It never changed. Dyno results were very similar between it and the first gen. The gearing and rev limiter were the seat of the pants difference.

Dude, no need to get yer panties in a wad. :)

96-98 had the 28mm carbs and I've seen numbers quoted from 73-78 hp, although I would think 73 is waaay too low.

All I was saying is that's probably where the impression of it being "neutered" came from.

This was just meant to be a nice fun thread, not a drag out of specs, posturing and whatnot.

I'm just here to have some fun!

My panties are not at all in a wad. Just posting my experience. I thought we were talking about first gen vs. second gen Ventures. There was never a Venture in '96 - '98. '99 was the first Second Gen Venture and that is what all my comments have been related to. No argument that the first Royal Stars were way down on HP. Not only the carbs but the small air boxes to go along with them.