IGNORED

CTmedicalFW

cowpuc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Scott! Here's hoping for the "simple" solution.

I was about 15 years younger than you when I, too, found myself peeing Cabernet Sauvignon in the men's room at work one day.

Quick visit to the family doctor.........quick ultrasound.....quick visit to the urologist.......quick diagnosis that I had a cancerous kidney......quick decision to yank it out! (Turns out tons of people have them out and millions are even BORN with only one.)

Mine was a benign, encapsulated tumor (no complications, no chemo, no radiation) and here I am, having ridden many thousands of miles in the meantime, almost twenty years later.

Here's hoping your fix is as "uncomplicated" as mine was..........and you're back in the saddle in no time!

Cheers and good luck from North of the border, bud!

Thanks for all the support gang!!

THAT was interesting!! It turns out that it is very very unlikely that my prostate cancer has anything to do with what the Endo Doc believes to be Adrenalin Deficiency.. More to come, Tippy just started a conversation on the phone with my Pathologist daughter who has an update about viewing my cancer slides.. This is beginning to remind me of getting lost in Chicago - busy busy busy..

Be right back..

Well, more good news from my daughter,, it appears that the cancer may be of the type that is of a lesser aggressive type. She is on her way here so she can consult with the Urologist on the 15th (my follow up) as to how to approach it long term. She mentioned that it may very possibly be just observation over the next few years. Apparently it only involves a small portion of my prostate.. There were other things that were looked at (bladder, kidneys) during the exam that revealed the cancer that we will also find out about then too.. Thoughts and Prayers Up greatly appreciated for that day too PLEASE.. Oh yea, before I forget,, I am still getting blood in my pee - was suppose to stop after 48 hours,, trying to get ahold of the Urologist to find out what that is all about, should know more today,,, just like a long CTFW road trip - something new around every bend in the road..

Back to the Endo Doc.

He talked a lot about how me currently being on Pred makes his job a little tougher because apparently the Pred makes the pituatary send mixed signals to the Adrenal Gland, or no signal at all, because the body has a "false" supply of adrenaline.. He mentioned that I may have to wean off the Pred in the future to test my system - which will probably lead me back into a non-functional zone like I was last winter - blahhh.. He did have blood drawn to check on several items now though with the results giving him something to start with. Earlier tests did reveal I have low sodium that does tell him that something is possibly arry in the system (no idea how all that relates, also NO idea why I had low sodium in the first place cause I like seasoning my food).. He felt it possible that there could be some association with heart rate and blood pressure. He mentioned that, get this, that one of the primary pituatary/adrenaline system functions is tied directly to BP control - weird eay.. The human body is an AMAZING thing!!

The Endocrine Doctor seemed very knowledgeable and VERY concerned so he gained high marks in making me feel like he is totally on board with joining the lets go CTmedicalFWing with Tip and Puc.

Thanks again for ALL your thought and prayers guys - they are ALWAYS appreciated!!

Just got a return phone call from the Urogoligist, apparently the viewable blood in the urine after a prostrate biopsy can go on for quite some time, even several months, and not a major concern. Kind of made had me a little concerned so that info was/is comforting.. He also mentioned that any strenuous activity (we walked 4 miles yesterday) would certainly instigate such an outcome but that is no reason not to stay active..

I didnt tell him about our plans to ride to Sturgis in a couple weeks,, I just filed that under the "ok to stay active" personal file protected under the reverse hippa laws :big-grin-emoticon:

Hope I aint boring you lopped eared varmints with all this stuff but certainly appreciate all the thoughts and prayers AND hope that maybe it will help one of my family members here should they ever find themselves in a similar situation:thumbsup:

Stay tuned for more CTmedicalFWing, not that much fun, stuff!

Heyyyy,, you gear heads types,, I may very well be coming into possession of my original microscope slides with actual pieces of my prostrate in them.. Just to stay on top of the unspoken:worthless:rule and to :witch_brew: just a little, I will post some pics up, if the Mod's will allow such ickyness on our PG-13 rated site:doh:!!

Puc, I'm still sendin prayers and best wishes for you.

It sounds like the news for you is slowly getting to be less and less bad, thats a good thing.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. With my own recent travels thru the CTMFW, a lot of this medical stuff is fascinating. Scary as all get out, especially if you are on the receiving end, but still fascinating.

There may be a lot of CTMFW talk in chat tonight......

Puc,

Sodium intake is more about the sodium found in processed foods, not the table salt we use to season with. The amount of table salt we use is minor in terms of overall sodium intake. Putting less salt on foods will be negligible in terms of reducing your sodium intake. Yes it will be less, but minor in comparison. Eating less processed foods would be a major change....huge change.

Yea...blood in urine after a procedure is normal for some time.

Good to hear about the prostate. If that is the type of cancer you have, then observation is the best choice. Many guys have gone years without issues with a slow growing prostate cancer. Surgical choices have improved tremendously in the past 10 yeas...I imagine they will continue to improve as well...giving you a better outcome despite being older and less able to handle the stresses of surgery.

Crossing fingies and toes....and...Prayers Up!

david

Puc, I'm still sendin prayers and best wishes for you.

It sounds like the news for you is slowly getting to be less and less bad, thats a good thing.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. With my own recent travels thru the CTMFW, a lot of this medical stuff is fascinating. Scary as all get out, especially if you are on the receiving end, but still fascinating.

There may be a lot of CTMFW talk in chat tonight......

Thanks for prayers Jeff - ALWAYS GREATLY APPRECIATED BROTHER!!

Indeed this stuff is amazing,, wouldnt wish NONE of any of the things any of us CTMFW folks are going thru (yourself included) on anyone BUT, none the less, it is indeed VERY fascinating!!

I will try and touch base in Chat tonight as I would LOVE to hear how you (and others) are also faring!! :thumbsup: What do you say, 8 pm ish?

Hey Puc...your Adrenaline deficiency is probably due to using all yours up over the years doing the exhilarating stuff like wearing out motorcycles, racing motorcycles, putting your bike on cruise control and sitting on the back seat with feet up and hands behind your head..... all that other "adrenaline rush" stuff you have partaken in. Should have saved some of that "fear factor juice" for your "Old Age"! :cool10::backinmyday: Should have collected stamps as a hobby instead.

All joking aside, sounds like very promising news on both medical fronts!

As someone who is always a medical puzzle to every doctor I met, I can appreciate the need for lots of phone calls and questions. (6 surgeries in 15 yrs) I envy you having a medical type in the family. My mother was the last one and because my knowledge is 20 yrs old I get looked at funny when I quote something that was relevant then. I really hope this is just a small pothole in your journey and things have a quick turnaround for you.

Hey Puc...your Adrenaline deficiency is probably due to using all yours up over the years doing the exhilarating stuff like wearing out motorcycles, racing motorcycles, putting your bike on cruise control and sitting on the back seat with feet up and hands behind your head..... all that other "adrenaline rush" stuff you have partaken in. Should have saved some of that "fear factor juice" for your "Old Age"! :cool10::backinmyday: Should have collected stamps as a hobby instead.

All joking aside, sounds like very promising news on both medical fronts!

Thanks everyone!!

Hey Van,, you have no idea (what am I saying,, you obviously have EVERY idea or you would not have written that) how pertinent to my situation exactly what you have written is!!

Yesterday, while chatting with the Endo Doc, Tippy starts down the path of what you are talking about.. She starts telling the Doctor about my life (using almost identical words as you said only to the DOCTOR:scared:) She all done reciting my life of hair raising, adrenaline pumped stuff - things that she had witnessed for herself (me going over backwards on my KX500 in 4th gear and all that, having to peel my kids and me from hanging upside down on the steel under the Mackinaw bridge, ect. ect.) and didnt even get started into my life before she knew me when the Doctor looked at her, smiled and told her you cant wear the Adrenal Gland out :thumbsup:

I smiled when he said that and gave her the old :stickinouttounge: right there in the Doctors office :big-grin-emoticon:

The doctor said that if I have what he thinks I may have, that its actually kind of rare.. He then turned to me and asked me all kinds of questions pertaining to genology - like had I ever heard of any one in my extended family being diagnosed with Adrenaline Deficency - I told him not that I was aware of, then looked at Tippy and said no one else that I know of ever cleared 150 feet off a jump on a motocross track either though, and gave her another :stickinouttounge:to go along with it:big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc
I wrote "I" when referring to the Doctor (should have been "he") by mistake.. No impression that I am a Dr. intended LOL

Puc,

I personally know the feeling when being told you have Cancer and how it will affect your whole family/Including the VR family/. I was diagnosed in June 2013 with colo-rectal caner. After radiation/chemo,9 hrs of surgery in 6 weeks back on my bike again. Given a clean bill of health. November 2014 spread to my lungs not so good report from the doc. 12 chemo treatments and 2 ct scans later not out of the woods but the outlook is not as bad. So much being done today. Thank God for all he does for us. You and your family have been in my prayers from the beginning and will be there forever. This site has so many great people that pray for each other. Best money I have ever spent. I feel you are one of my best friends and we have never meet. A great inspiration to get out and ride. When I mention the Pucster my whole family knows who I am talking about.

I believe you will do well with your attitude and the family support you have.

Prayers Up!

Ricky

Puc,

I personally know the feeling when being told you have Cancer and how it will affect your whole family/Including the VR family/. I was diagnosed in June 2013 with colo-rectal caner. After radiation/chemo,9 hrs of surgery in 6 weeks back on my bike again. Given a clean bill of health. November 2014 spread to my lungs not so good report from the doc. 12 chemo treatments and 2 ct scans later not out of the woods but the outlook is not as bad. So much being done today. Thank God for all he does for us. You and your family have been in my prayers from the beginning and will be there forever. This site has so many great people that pray for each other. Best money I have ever spent. I feel you are one of my best friends and we have never meet. A great inspiration to get out and ride. When I mention the Pucster my whole family knows who I am talking about.

I believe you will do well with your attitude and the family support you have.

Prayers Up!

Ricky

Wow Ricky, thank you soooo much for writing!! I am truly sorry to read about you and your family being involved in the whole Cancer thing, especially at the level that you folks are dealing with.. Even though it is indeed an honor having your words of encouragement (I hold them deep in my heart my dear friend) it breaks my heart to read that.. I want you to know that you and your family are also in my prayers (PRAYERS UP = BLESSINGS DOWN,, you probably already know this but I am a FIRM believer in that) as you continue in your battle with this nasty stuff.

I read what you wrote to Tippy (she was visibly deeply touched too) and we both want you to give that family of yours a hug for us and please tell them that our prayers and love are here for you folks too!!

I also want you to know right from the horses mouth that, while I tend to be the type of person to view the glass half full instead of half empty in life and that may easily be misunderstood (straight up - I found the Lord many many years ago after being a homeless 15 year old young man living on the street = I still feel that the half full glass attitude comes from God Himself :thumbsup: and as a result of having nothing back in those hard days BUT = leaving with everything sometime in the (distant I hope) future)) - I take the contents of your message very very seriously!!

Looking forward to meeting you sometime on the road my dear friend and be proud to give ya a great big Pucster :bighug: