IGNORED

Rear Tire Question - 150/80/15 vs 150/90/15 as manual suggests ?

Hoping for some help/guidance.

Picked up my 2007 RSV from motorcycle service shop this pm after ordering new ME880s and having them installed.

RSV manual states 150/90/15 for rear tire, however, when I picked up bike, the shop put on 150/80/15.

Shop was closed when I got there, so won't be able to talk with anyone until tomorrow am.

I understand that 90 vs 80 # is the aspect ratio.

I have no idea why the shop put on the other size other than maybe they ordered the wrong size ?

Question is, is there advantage/disadvantage to running the smaller aspect ration in the rear ?

Wondering if anyone has done this ?

Is it ok to do so?

Need to determine if I go back to shop and have 90 put on bike or keep the 80 ?

I'm heading out on a trip 4th July weekend so need to make a decision soon.

Also need to be ready to acid/reality test whatever the shop tells me tomorrow.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

Bob

Will introduce some speedometer error, will have you carrying a few more revs on the highway. Will also make the rear a smidge lower, affecting ground clearance and possibly front end handling (slight change in effective rake angle and weight bias).

But will also give you a smidge more on the bottom end with acceleration.

Personally, I'd rather have the spec tire on the machine. Especially if that's what I had ordered....

Check the load rating. The 80 profile most likely is rated for a lower load. If it is, I'd take the bike back and chew some arse.

Check the manufacture dates too. I just went to the Metzler Tire site and they don't offer the ME880 in either 15" size that you mentioned any more.

Edited by BlueSky

Opps. My bad... Heres the story. Not the same size... but goes to show DO NOT TRUST TIRE REPS AND DEALERS.

---------------------------------------

While at the Honda Hoot, I decided my rear tire wouldn't be good enough to get me home. Especially since I will be pulling a trailer back. So, I went over early yesterday morning to the Metzeler tent in the vendor area to get a new one.

The salemen suggested that I use their 'Stage 1' upgrade ME880. I said I never heard of this. The Stage 1 upgrade is a bigger tire that he claimed would give me a much better ride. The stock size is 150/90B15. The so called stage 1 upgrade is a 170/80B15. I told the saleman I thought it best to stick to the recommended size. But he showed me in the Metzeler tire fitment guide where this stage 1 tire fits without any modification to the bike and said he had put them on several Ventures and the customers were very pleased. He had both sizes in stock. I said, OK, if it fits, I'll try it.

So they put the tire on. Before they put the saddlebags back on, I went and looked. There was only about an 1/8 clearance between the tire and the driveshaft. I questioned the mechanic whether that was enough. He assured me it was plenty, but guess he could tell I wasn't buying it. He called over a second mechanic and asked him. He said, sure thats plenty. Before I paid for the tires, I mentioned it to the salesman. He said it was plenty. I guess HE could tell I was too sure about this and called the Metzeler factory rep over who crawled under and looked. He assured me it was fine. At this point I had 4 people who should know more about this crap than me tell me it was OK. So off I go.

I go back to the motel, pick up the wife and hook up with friends and we head off on a ride. I mentioned to my friend about the tire and my concern. Anyway, about 40 miles into the ride, he signals me to pull over. When I did he said he could smell rubber. I looked and sure enough the sidewall was melting from rubbing against the driveshaft. At this point, saying my blood was boiling was an understandment. So I called the dealership number that was running the Metzeler tent and told them what happened and that I was on my way back and they better have a right tire and lift waiting on me.

Get back to the Metzeler tent and it was obvious I guess that I was mad. The saleman and shop manager started to tell me over and over that they had done this tire upgrade on RSV's before and kept refering to the fact that the tire guide lists it as a 'bolt-on' upgrade. I told them that I wasn't mad about the reason they talked me into trying this tire, but was mad because 4 people who should have known better discounted my concerns that 1/8" wasn't enough clearance. I basically suggested they stop talking to me about it and get the tire changed. I was afraid things could quickly spiral out of control. I was hot!

Anyway, if a dealer tries to talk you into the 'Metzeler Stage 1 upgrade, tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine and stick with the stock size tire!

Also, after getting home and looking into this further, I come to find out that this so called upgrade tire actually has a lower weight rating than the stock tire size they sell. Not sure how that qualifies as an upgrade on a heavy touring bike like ours!

Update and Thank you!

Wanted to thank all of you for your input.

Thought you may be interested in how it played out... I went back to the shop this am, and explained to the owner my concerns.

I thought he handled it pretty well.

He heard me out, and then stated his position that although the tire is a different size, its barely so and that he'd used the smaller size before with no issue.

He also stated that the smaller size is a V rated tire where the larger size is a lower rating.

He also stated however, that the mechanic/tech should have at least checked with be before mounting the smaller size.

He agreed that the smaller tire would have increased revolutions but didn't feel the tire would wear out that much quicker.

Bottom line... he asked me what I wanted to do.

As I was considering it, he looked at me and said, well, if you're thinking that hard you're not comfortable, give me till noon and I'll have the 90 mounted for you (note it was 10am).

Is your bike here or do you need a ride to your house?

At 11am I was riding away with the OEM stock size mounted.

Put ~ 50 miles on it this afternoon and all seems well.

Thanks again for the responses.

As always, the VentureRider forums have proven my resource of choice for all things RSV.

Have a great day.

Ride Safe.

Bob

Hoping for some help/guidance.

Picked up my 2007 RSV from motorcycle service shop this pm after ordering new ME880s and having them installed.

RSV manual states 150/90/15 for rear tire, however, when I picked up bike, the shop put on 150/80/15.

Shop was closed when I got there, so won't be able to talk with anyone until tomorrow am.

I understand that 90 vs 80 # is the aspect ratio.

I have no idea why the shop put on the other size other than maybe they ordered the wrong size ?

Question is, is there advantage/disadvantage to running the smaller aspect ration in the rear ?

Wondering if anyone has done this ?

Is it ok to do so?

Need to determine if I go back to shop and have 90 put on bike or keep the 80 ?

I'm heading out on a trip 4th July weekend so need to make a decision soon.

Also need to be ready to acid/reality test whatever the shop tells me tomorrow.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

Bob

speaking of metzler i have just had some fun and will never get another. this is a story i put into our ULYSSES magazine warning others about metzler and there tyres . the cracks run right around the tyre

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER

After our round trip with cub camper behind our Royal Star Venture + sidecar to Alice 7500ks I decided the trusty Avon Venom rear tyre was looking a bit sad. Yes i could get another 1000 to 1500ks left in it, but the Wodonga trip was to be about 3000ks [no pillion this time and no cub camper but did have a very small bike trailer 4’x4’ containing tent and some water and food.

Start time was getting close so went online to Evilbay looking for a good cheap replacement rear tyre. I found Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse had a METZELER ME880 MARATHON at a good price delivered. It showed 3 days later, good looking tread and meaty, just what I need for my outfit. I then ripped the old Avon off and fitted the new tyre, left the bike in the shed and didn’t get it out till it was time to go to the boat for the trip to Melbourne. After getting off the boat and heading for Wodonga the bike was just not right so we continued on to Wodonga at a steady speed in no hurry. We cruised up the Hume at about 90kph. We got to Wodonga about 2:30 Tuesday 24th. Wednesday morning we started looking for the problem with the bike. New plugs fixed the slight miss in the motor but still had a grinding noise at takeoff. We decided it must be a crook universal so we spent the rest of the week sitting around the campsite not wanting to put too much pressure on the uni. It was decided then not to do the long trip home via the coast but have a slow trip back down the Hume to Broadford for the Easter bike bonanza [what a great weekend ].

The grinding noise was found to be not a crook uni but a broken stay on the sidecar grinding when the sidecar wheel moved so returned home all running well and normal .Then the fun began in the shed. I checked the rear tyre to find deep cracks in the base of the tread [the tread was lifting off the case] so i sent an email to motorcycle tyre warehouse with photos [no reply]. A few days later I sent another [still no reply].A couple of days later I phoned [oh yes we got your email can you send more pics] so sent more close-ups. A week later I sent another email asking what is happening. Then got an email can I phone them. They asked me was I towing a trailer, said yes, to be told Metzeler do not cover any warranty for a bike towing a trailer. I said the trailer puts 15kgs extra weight on the bike they don’t care they found a way out for a badly made bike tyre. I have since sent an email to Metzeler but still no reply. I would have been better off leaving the old avon on the bike .By my GPS I covered 1142ks with a top speed of 115 kph turned out not to be a cheap tyre so if you are thinking about a new tyre and want to tow a trailer DO NOT buy a Metzeler

cracks.jpg