IGNORED

06 Tour Deluxe Vibratons

Guest fivesaints

Guest fivesaints

I'm wondering about my new bike as I feel vibration in the bars & floor boards @ 62 to 68 mph. Seems to smooth out @ 80. Is this the characteristics of this bike? I purchased it with the assuption that it was a smooth bike as I traded my Stratoliner in because of vibs @ 80 plus.

Am I expecting to much out of a Yamaha?

Keep your RPMs up. Sounds almost as though you are lugging a bit. If you're looking to accelerate at 62 fairly quickly you should downshift. 3rd is really fun. I have a tach and run it up to 7,000 in third gear and you are moving on -- it's pretty smooth. Seriously though, going down to 4th should help.

Keep your RPMs up. Sounds almost as though you are lugging a bit. If you're looking to accelerate at 62 fairly quickly you should downshift. 3rd is really fun. I have a tach and run it up to 7,000 in third gear and you are moving on -- it's pretty smooth. Seriously though, going down to 4th should help.

I agree with this as well, the bike really likes the high revs. 60 is 4th gear territory not 5th. In case this isn't what's causing it though have you had your 600mi service yet? If not then have them check out the above mentioned carb issue, alternatively it could I suppose be due to a poorly balanced wheel but you'd most likely notice that more often than just from 62-68.

Good luck with you RSTD, mine's been flawless since I bought it new (knock-on-wood) and I hope for many years of comfortable cruising ahead.

Guest fivesaints

Its definitely not a tire issue as I can feel the same vibration in neutral stopped raising RPM alittle ( in the bars ). Its engine vibration for sure. Probably charactor of the V-twin, just thougth it would be smoother.

Watch your mouth...it is NOT a v-twin. It is a v-4. :) That being said, I would certainly start with a good carb sync. Pretty common that they are not done perfectly from the factory and often not from the dealers. It's easy to do. Easy to learn if you have never done it before. You will need a carb sync tool to do it though. Most of us here are partial to the Carbtune II.

http://www.carbtune.com

[quote=bobo;50822it could I suppose be due to a poorly balanced wheel but you'd most likely notice that more often than just from 62-68.

I was gonna sugest that one too. Sound like the range for an out of balance condition to affect you. My experience in the tire business is most tire balance issues happen between 55 and 70. That is the harmonic point of the tire. Check the Sync on the carbs first as that is easier and then have the tire balance checked as that is much more work to remove and balance.

Vibration in the floorboards is usually a sign that you need a carb sync.

We see them come from the dealer brandnew in need of a carb sync.

Seems like that is how I can tell if I need a carb sync. The vibrations go up when it needs a sync. I used to get the backfire, but not since I started doing my own sync every 2000 miles. A good sync makes the beast into an entirely different animal. Smooth, quiet, and it really likes to rev.

• 1 month later...

Vibration sensativity is a very personal thing. I sold my Concours and then my Victory because the vibes irked me. I've got carpal tunnel and need to get cut. I've always been intolerant of engine, driveline and wheel/tire vibes on everything I own. I pine for the old days and my rubber mounted XS1100 engine. The V-Max and 1st gen. RS had rubber mounts.... has anyone replaced our aluminum spacers with the rubbers and ditched the upper engine mounts?????

I've seen the upper mounts done away with but don't know that I've heard of anybody changing the spacers. I can't remember who it was that got rid of the upper mounts but he said that it DID reduce the little bit of vibration that we have. There have been arguments on both sides as to whether or not it's a good idea to remove them. I am just not comfortable doing so. If you are having a problem with vibration...the first thing to do is make sure the carbs are really synced well. Unless you can do it yourself or have one of our members close by who know how....I wouldn't count on it being correct. I've just seen too many dealers who seem to have a problem getting it right.

I've seen the upper mounts done away with but don't know that I've heard of anybody changing the spacers. I can't remember who it was that got rid of the upper mounts but he said that it DID reduce the little bit of vibration that we have. There have been arguments on both sides as to whether or not it's a good idea to remove them. I am just not comfortable doing so. If you are having a problem with vibration...the first thing to do is make sure the carbs are really synced well. Unless you can do it yourself or have one of our members close by who know how....I wouldn't count on it being correct. I've just seen too many dealers who seem to have a problem getting it right.

I'm on it... in the spring. I have the Carb Stix mercury sync set I bought in 1980. Thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...
I'm wondering about my new bike as I feel vibration in the bars & floor boards @ 62 to 68 mph. Seems to smooth out @ 80. Is this the characteristics of this bike? I purchased it with the assuption that it was a smooth bike as I traded my Stratoliner in because of vibs @ 80 plus.

Am I expecting to much out of a Yamaha?

Welcome. I sold my Victory to escape the vibes. Couple things... this V-4 sounds like it's turning faster than it is... 2 power pulses per revolution versus 1 with a V-twin. As the previous poster said, you are lugging it. These things have awesome tall cogs (HOORAH!!) and a wide spaced gearbox. Stretch out the gears and things get better. Sadly, the rubber mounts are gone from the engine. And lastly.... ENJOY 80 plus mph like no other cruiser!

• 2 years later...

I know thisis an old post, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents worth. I to have the vibration as the RPM's increase. When cruising above 50 or getting on the bike to get to speed quickly the vibration is present as soon as the RPM's increase. The dealer I bought the bike from says this is normal. The srvicing tech owns a Venture and he rode my bike and says it feels like his. I have a 2008 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It stands to reason there is vibration present when you take in to consideration the end weights on the handlebars are extremely heavy. I just hate the constant vibration in the footboards, but I find if I adjust my feet position I can get around it. As one reader said vibration can be subjective, what I consider vibration some may not.