IGNORED

Seat removal II

Guest Betsey

Guest Betsey

Hi,

Thank you guys for the response, I did get one of the nuts off, but I absolutely cannot get the other one (on the left) off. The flange seems to be in the way. Any ideas???? Thanks.

2002 Venture

Instead of a 10mm wrench that was suggested earlier, use an allen key. Look inside the 1 nut you have off and you'll notice that the inside will also accept an allen key. The allen key will allow you to reach past the flange.

I had to use a very small ratchet to get up in there, it's tight but can be done. It will come right off once you get one it, but thers is not much clearance there for sure.

Also snug them down firm when you put it back on so they don't come loose, but DO NOT overtighten them. A friend of mine did and broke the stud which is imbedded in the seat pan and had to get a whole new seat.

Good luck!!

Guest Betsey

Thank you so much, this is the most frustrating thing I have done. They sure don't make it easy; all I'm trying to do is charge the battery....

Instead of a 10mm wrench that was suggested earlier, use an allen key. Look inside the 1 nut you have off and you'll notice that the inside will also accept an allen key. The allen key will allow you to reach past the flange.

I hadn't realized that! Thanks!

I just had a fight with mine today also...I thought that was a Heat Sheild ??? hhhmmm learn somethin new every day... I am going to put wing nuts back on mine and thought about getting 2 cheap sockets and welding the nut into them, there for the socket will always be in place, also may help with seeing where the little rascal is at.. I know Squidley didn`t have any on his, but I only weigh 195 and am afraid the whole thing will blow off....:rotf:

K

If its the flange I think you are talking about.....I was told its there in case you overfill your gas tank the gas will run down and hit that flange and not go onto a hot engine. I took mine off.

Keith

I always wondered about that. Why did the left side have it and not the right? Your answer is plausible, but I think I will do what you did and take it off. I am always very careful when filling the tank.

If you plan to remove that flange you will need shorter screws....Yamaha #92014-06010 are the ones I used. Or shorten the stock ones. You may not need the screws if you are going to leave that leg protector thing on if I remember correctly.

Keith

I had my seat off Saturday. Used a 1/4 inch drive and a 10mm socket.

This is how I get mine off. 3/8" drive are too big to fit.

I will have to take a look as I am not sure what you were talking about ?

Thank you so much, this is the most frustrating thing I have done. They sure don't make it easy; all I'm trying to do is charge the battery....

Wait till you have to put the screw back on :rotf:Don't over tighten or it will pull the stud out of the seat, too loose and when you sit on the seat the nut is loose and will fall off.

Brad

If you plan to remove that flange you will need shorter screws....Yamaha #92014-06010 are the ones I used. Or shorten the stock ones. You may not need the screws if you are going to leave that leg protector thing on if I remember correctly.

Keith

This makes no sense to me. Removing that worthless curved chrome shield on top of the left rear cylinder is one of the easiest things you can do (several of us had our bikes delivered with it mounted backward on the opposite side)! You don't need any new screws for anything. Just remove the two screws holding it on, then remove the bracket from the round heat shield under it. All done. You will now find access to the seat nuts much easier. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

This makes no sense to me. Removing that worthless curved chrome shield on top of the left rear cylinder is one of the easiest things you can do (several of us had our bikes delivered with it mounted backward on the opposite side)! You don't need any new screws for anything. Just remove the two screws holding it on, then remove the bracket from the round heat shield under it. All done. You will now find access to the seat nuts much easier. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

But that's what I have my cigarette lighter clamped to.

I was thinking about painting my seat nuts white or bright yellow in order to make them a little easier to see. Especially if I'd ever have to access them at night. Might have to repaint them once in awhile, but it could make it easier.

I also use a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket to get mine off.

This is how I get mine off. 3/8" drive are too big to fit.

Hmmm had mine off this Saturday and a 3/8" drive worked for me.

One thing about that chrome shield thing though (that I just noticed this weekend) if you use the reflection in the shield it sure makes it easy to find the nut or the stud and where your socket is in relation to it.

Wait till you have to put the screw back on :rotf:Don't over tighten or it will pull the stud out of the seat, too loose and when you sit on the seat the nut is loose and will fall off.

Brad

You know, Brad, if you use a nyloc nut...both problems are solved.:thumbsup2:

I always wondered about that. Why did the left side have it and not the right? Your answer is plausible, but I think I will do what you did and take it off. I am always very careful when filling the tank.

Mine is on the right side and not on the left. Go figure.:confused24:

When I got my 2000 MM there was a bag of stuff in the trunk, I wondered what the parts were. After looking here I know that the chrome piece is the drip guard or what ever it is called. I have it in a box, never installed. I also lost the stock seat nuts and now just leave it with out any nuts. Never had a problem. Rod

Left the bike on the "ACC" the other day and the battery is dead. Gonna put the battery tender on it tonight and see if I can bring her back to life before I put $90 down on a new one.

I did that too, a month ago, the original battery would charge up and work for a couple days then I'd have problems again. this happened twice so I bought a new battery. But I was waiting for it to happen a third time before I took time to put in the new battery. I never happened. Yesterday I put the new battery in anyway, so now I have two. The old one is on the battery tender now.