IGNORED

Exhaust fumes

Hello everyone,

I tried to search the forum for this but did not find much.

I got mine RSV late in the season last year and while I did notice this before I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I decided to de-winterize my bike and after I removed the cover and re-installed the battery I fired it up and let it run for few minutes.

Now here is the thing... even though I did not stand directly behind the bike I smell like exhaust fumes.

In my previous bike (VSTAR 1100 Classic) I could not smell the fumes at all.

Now question to all of you seasoned RSV owners...

Is this normal???

I would think not...in that case, what should I check/fix/replace???

Any pointers and/or ideas highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

hmm... no, not really like varnish... just like regular gasoline engine fumes.

The bike came with after market slip-ons and the OEM pipes... I have changed the slip-ons to the OEM pipes as i did not liked the sound of the slip_ons.

Would it be possible that maybe there are some seals or something missing, and I get all fumed up because fumes are escaping before they hit the actual mufflers???

I would run that tank of gas through it with some seafoam in it, and try the same thing over. I am betting the issue will be gone with fresh gas and clean seafoam carbs.

Brian

Yup..... what Brian said..... ride it and put some fresh fuel and Seafoam into it and ride it some more

Good advice so far IMHO. Also might take a peek at your air box and or air box feed for mouse nest build up and check your air cleaner make sure its clean (do these 2nd gens have two breather boxes? no idea - never worked on one, make sure and check both if they do).. Rodents love those places and any build up will provide a choking affect on the engine.. Can also check the pipes and see if they are cleared out also - will have the same affect..

Thanks guys...

It is still too cold here to ride to burn all that fuel with Seafoam but in the mean time I will check all the other things.

BTW about the Seafoam... how much would you recommend I add to the tank for this treatment??? Should I just follow whatever the can says?

Toss in the whole 12oz can in a fresh tank of fuel. Don't worry about burning it up quickly.... Sea Foam is also a gas conditioner. You can take your time... Afterwards a blurp in a tank every once in a while is good. Before storing my bikes for the winter they get a full tank of fuel and a full can of SF..... :thumbsup2:

Toss in the whole 12oz can in a fresh tank of fuel. Don't worry about burning it up quickly.... Sea Foam is also a gas conditioner. You can take your time... Afterwards a blurp in a tank every once in a while is good. Before storing my bikes for the winter they get a full tank of fuel and a full can of SF..... :thumbsup2:

Yeah, I pretty much do what Condor says. My bike gets a couple of ounces every few tankfuls all through summer and then a full can and full tank of fresh gas when I store for the winter.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

I tried to search the forum for this but did not find much.

I got mine RSV late in the season last year and while I did notice this before I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I decided to de-winterize my bike and after I removed the cover and re-installed the battery I fired it up and let it run for few minutes.

Now here is the thing... even though I did not stand directly behind the bike I smell like exhaust fumes.

In my previous bike (VSTAR 1100 Classic) I could not smell the fumes at all.

Now question to all of you seasoned RSV owners...

Is this normal???

I would think not...in that case, what should I check/fix/replace???

Any pointers and/or ideas highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

KeithR posted this in 2007. It was an issue on my 2009 and was covered by warranty. Check your 'Y' pipes. The crimping isn't always tight.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2njy0eg.jpg

All the comments make good sense so far. Takin a poke @ a pig might need to sync the carbs after sitting for awhile also. Mine dont stay parked for long periods of time, but I do mine 2 or 3 times a year. Once you ride the concentrated sea foam out their recomendation is 1 oz per galon.