IGNORED

Blueridge Parkway Feedback

gr8hwfan

I would like to do some camping along the parkway

Linda and I stayed at the campground at Mt Pisgah a few years ago and it was real nice. Very nice camp spots and new bathrooms with hot showers. It is right at 5,000 feet and the night we were there was extremely clear and the stars were amazing.

When I came back from the showers, Linda was a bit big-eyed because while she was sitting near the picnic table, which was in a little alcove, she heard some rustling and a small bear was snooping around right next to her. Her first thought was little bears have big mommas close by. I will post a few pics . I am really looking forward to using the TimeOut Camper this year. This is my old Travelite camper.

Randy616.JPG614.JPG620.JPG

Here is a map of those 7 days. Each in different color to give an idea what we did. Some of the points of interest we stopped at where:

- BRP Overlooks. Just a few. Most have almost same view.

- D-Day Memorial

- Mabry Mills

- Blowing Rock

- Mt Mitchell - Highest point east of Mississippi

- Tail of Dragon

- Cherahola Skyway

- Bald River Falls

- Wheels Through Time Museum (if timing works)

- Clingmans Dome (top of Smoky Mountains)

- Mingus Mills

- Gatlinburg, TN

- Appalachian Musuem

- Cumberland Gap State Park

- Coal Mine Museum near Harlan County, KY

- Visit New River Gorge Bridge and ride under it.

- Hawks Nest State Park overlook

- Spruce Knob (Highest Point in WV)

- Black Water Falls WV

The way I did this 7 day loop was about 1700 miles round trip. I started and ended near Front Royal, VA because thats where I lived at the time.

Anyway, 7 days is lot just to do Blue Ridge Parkway. I have run the entire thing 4 times. Each time I did it in two days and still saw most neat things. One could stretch that to 3 days, but much more than that... not enough to keep you busy IMHO.

Anyway... this is what I did with 7 days:

apploop.jpg

So much to see on the parkway and just off of it also. Make sure you check out Grandfather Mountain, Also Little Switzerland and the Diamondback is right there and is a great ride. Also at the west end is Maggie Valley and Cherokee and in Maggie Valley is the Motorcycle museum. Also you wont be far from the Cherohala Parkway and The Dragon. If she likes to ride she will love the trip.

I would just like to thank everyone for there feedback. My wife is feeling better about the trip. Once we have cemented our plans, I will post our schedule to see if anyone may be in the area for a possible M & E or even just to enjoy the ride. Thanks again, John

Here is a map of those 7 days. Each in different color to give an idea what we did. Some of the points of interest we stopped at where:

- BRP Overlooks. Just a few. Most have almost same view.

- D-Day Memorial

- Mabry Mills

- Blowing Rock

- Mt Mitchell - Highest point east of Mississippi

- Tail of Dragon

- Cherahola Skyway

- Bald River Falls

- Wheels Through Time Museum (if timing works)

- Clingmans Dome (top of Smoky Mountains)

- Mingus Mills

- Gatlinburg, TN

- Appalachian Musuem

- Cumberland Gap State Park

- Coal Mine Museum near Harlan County, KY

- Visit New River Gorge Bridge and ride under it.

- Hawks Nest State Park overlook

- Spruce Knob (Highest Point in WV)

- Black Water Falls WV

The way I did this 7 day loop was about 1700 miles round trip. I started and ended near Front Royal, VA because thats where I lived at the time.

Anyway, 7 days is lot just to do Blue Ridge Parkway. I have run the entire thing 4 times. Each time I did it in two days and still saw most neat things. One could stretch that to 3 days, but much more than that... not enough to keep you busy IMHO.

Anyway... this is what I did with 7 days:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97879[/ATTACH]

I have to agree. That was one GREAT ride. Even the fog that you could not see the bike 20 feet in front of you on the BRP.:rotf:

Due to the fact that this will be a 7 day trip, I was hoping for some input from those of you who have experienced this ride. Whether negative or positive feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth our valuable vacation time? I understand that this is a mountain region with twists and turns, but is it constant? I would like to be sure it is going to be enjoyable for my wife as well. Thanks for the input.

exc thread .. wife and I ran the Ashville - Blowing Rock leg last summer. We enjoyed it to the point of deciding to do the entire BRP this summer. (it was her idea) So, from New Orleans across Fl panhandle and north to BRP is the plan to date. Don't have much more to add that's already been said. I had booked this thread from VenturousRandy's thread some time ago. any info is good info.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/watering-hole/88377-bumpy-blue-ridge-parkway.html?highlight=blue+ridge#post860661

Man, it's been a long hard winter. Almost warm enough in the garage to light up the ol' 87.

I would just like to thank everyone for there feedback. My wife is feeling better about the trip. Once we have cemented our plans, I will post our schedule to see if anyone may be in the area for a possible M & E or even just to enjoy the ride. Thanks again, John

There will be 5 of us down in Franklin, NC from July 4th through the 11th. We would love to meet up with others for a ride if anyone is down there at that time. 4 of the 5 bikes are people from this board

I'm glad your wife is feeling more comfortable about this trip.

Theres not alot I can say that hasn't already been said except that the BRP is mine and Shirleys absolute favorite ride.

We ride at least part of it every year and have done the whole thing including Skyline Drive several times.

There are motels and eats off most every exit. I like to fuel up every time I exit.

Maybe we'll see you up there.

There will be 5 of us down in Franklin, NC from July 4th through the 11th. We would love to meet up with others for a ride if anyone is down there at that time. 4 of the 5 bikes are people from this board

Rick,

If you guys can, make sure you ride Hwy 28 north out of Franklin...to Hwy 74..take Hwy 74 west/ south towards Hwy 129, but before you get to Hwy 129, take a left onto Wayah Road which will take you to Hwy 64 where you come out about 5 miles from downtown Franklin again.. This ia a very nice day ride. You will ride along the east edge of Nantahala Lake.

You can stop for a bite to eat at either one of these places:

Rivers End Resturant

13077 West Highway 19

Bryson City, North Carolina 28713

(828) 488-7172

-or-

Slow Joes Café

13077 West Highway 19

(888) 905-7238

- or -

Big Wesser BBQ & Brew

13077 West Highway 19

-or-

Burger Basket

12351 West Highway 19

(828) 488-2662

Ahhhh, the BRP. What a wonderful ride. Don't listen to any negativity about it. It's beautiful and interesting from one end to the other. My wife and I LOVED it! You mentioned the Biltmore in Asheville. Make sure you go there! My wife wanted to go, and I really didn't. It would up being amazingly awesome! Take my advise and pay the extra money to rent the headphones. It gives you a guided tour with all of the history of the house while you walk through it. Otherwise, you're just wandering around looking at a big beautiful house. If you or your wife like flowers, there is an awesome botanical gardens beside the house, don't miss it. Make sure you eat lunch at the restuarant in the horse stables beside the house. Also, tour the winery on the backside of the property. It is a most of the day experience if you do it right. You'll see a boat load of bikers there.

While you're in Asheville, catch a meal at The Tupelo Honey Cafe. The famoous one is downtown, but they have a less crouded one in the burbs.

When you get to the end of the BRP at mile 0, make sure you ride into the little town of Cherokee and take a gander. Lotta Indian hisory there.

I agree with others statements that, when you get to mile 0, it's not a far ride over to the Tail of the Dragon. Go ride it!.

Have fun! I'm envious.

20 miles south east of my house I can hit the BRP and travel over 100 miles and still be within 50 miles from home.Since I (own) that 100 miles I need to set up a toll booth and charge a fee for riding that section,but for VR members the ride will be free.I live 2 miles from the start of The Devils Whip.NC 80 and 8 miles from the Diamond Back..NC 226A.These are 2 rides you need to ride.

I agree with your wife's friends. LOL I was laid off for two years, So what a nice time to ride and I did! Like 20K a year. One trip was starting at The GREAT! !!! SKYLINE DRIVE, (I love that part of the road!!!) and that basically dumps you onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and that we Traveled All the way to the Tail Of The Dragon where we could not possibly STAND it anymore! We must have had good weather, Yes we hit some rain or it hit us but I don't remember pounding wind. Maybe up at the highest part where we actually Rode up through the clouds in some driving rain and got to the higher area (Highest on the BRP) and then looked down on the storm from the top. (That was cool) We saw lots of wildlife and the Bike flooded out while we were within 20 yards of a Mother Bear and two cubs. She snorted and charged a few leaps and that scared the bike into a running state. (I tossed the seat covers as they were beyond repair or washing.) Skyline drive was the highlight, Had the BRP been that active it may have been worth it. But we did have time and was just waiting and waiting at 35MPH 12 hours a day to see what everyone was talking about. Nothing emerged! We did find it hard to find logging, food, gas. There are exits but you can't see whats off them, had a GPS good thing. When I finally got to the TOD for the first time, I sparked to life and swore I would never again Ride or drive or travel any extended length of the BRP. I will jump on for sections, especially around the TOD where they say that is the best section. but in no way would you catch me on that again by choice. Waaaaaayyyyyyy toooooo Booorrrrrriiiinnnnngggggg! Even now when I look at the hundreds of pictures we took, THEY ALL LOOK LIKE THE SAME SPOT! And I had a Go PRO and it was going and it looked like a Hollywood set where the same scenery is on like a 50 foot roll and it just keeps going around and a around. 7 Days of smokey Mountains YES Blue ridge Parkway? PUKE! And thats my opinion! I was laid off had plenty of time and I feel it's 4 days of my life Ill never get back!

just to add my 2 c. Agree with others BRP is most beautiful Zen alike road in USA period. Randy did give you best description.... but wait. Blue ridge parkway is just a piece of parkways starting somewhere in Maine, official start is Front Royal VA. and entrance to national park and Skyway dr.. I would recommend you to to start your journey from Front Royal, VA. and end a day whenever you feel like. Little Switzerland just off BRP and famous rainbow trout is strongly recommended. Once you get in to NC side any road left and right is "advanced road", as well toll booth by 1Rooster.

Edited by stardbog