IGNORED

GPS location and mount for 1st Gen

On my 1st gen, I made a plate I attached to the left handlebar that I put the GPS suction cup to. I originally did this because I used the GPS in different vehicles, but now it just stays on the bike. I also converted to the plugin in the cigarette lighter with the USB port and that cleaned up my wiring a lot.[ATTACH=CONFIG]97681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97683[/ATTACH]

Randy

Nice. Any problem with the suction cup coming loose while riding?

I just purchased a used Garmin 765 and looking for some ideas and advice as to location and mounting method. I intend to wire it in to the electrical system also so if anyone has a preference as to which wiring system is better I would appreciate that also. Thanks.

I used the stick-on disc with suction cup going on 4 years. Works ok and doesn't interfere with gauge vis.

Issues over that time, had to replace defective power cable once and the suction cup came loose twice. Probably separated

because I let the rubber cups dry out over 2-3 months. Lucky that the power cable kept the GPS from totally disconnecting both times for inevitable road kill.

Nuvi 1390 - 840.jpg

Nuvi 1390 - 1 - 840.jpg

Don, can't attach pic to pm replies.

The wiring harness is bundled and rests on the left side of the airbox. The foam wrap

buffers vibration and keeps everything in place for the most part. It looks a little bulky in the pic

but it's actually an easy fit. Bob's suggestion to wire to acc panel is probably better

than my wiring directly to battery with an inline fuse.

GPS cable connection 840p.jpg

Yeah, but where Max and Randy have it is a really good location and pretty well protected from wind and rain while moving. However, thinking of some way to tether the bracket to the bike just in case.

I was wondering what to use to lubricate the suction cup. Thanks for the Vaseline idea.

I currently have two brackets on order and I have the sticky disc. I'll decide when I receive them and can check them out. Then I can figure out how to plug it in.

Edited by Donvito
forgot Randy

As part of my bike upgrade this spring, after I can get some of the other projects finished and can get into my garage, I will hard mount and get away from the suction cup. Like I said before, it was used at one time on several different vehicles, but it is dedicated to the bike for now. But, even with the hard mount, it will be easily removed for storage.

Randy

I found this for about 5 bucks on ebay. Works amazingly well. Fits on the handle bar right by the clutch or front brake master. It holds the phone tightly but I still add additional security by wrapping a ponytail-er (rubber band) and a a small ziplock in the rain.

Motorcycle Bicycle Bike Cell Phone GPS Support Handlebar Mount Holder Universal | eBay

IMG_20150227_184308651_HDR.jpg

Hey Don,

I used the right side mirror perch that is not used on the handlebars because of the mirrors being mounted on the fairing. The mount is polished S.S. and I bent it using a torch. I attached a delrin ball to the end of the S.S. stem.This mount is clean looking, and works perfectly.MOUNT COMPLETED.jpgNUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg Here are some pics of the mount:

Hey Don,

I used the right side mirror perch that is not used on the handlebars because of the mirrors being mounted on the fairing. The mount is polished S.S. and I bent it using a torch. I attached a delrin ball to the end of the S.S. stem.This mount is clean looking, and works perfectly.[ATTACH=CONFIG]97860[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97861[/ATTACH] Here are some pics of the mount:

I've owned the bike for over 25 years and I never knew that was there. Thanks for that info. I think Ram has something that will screw into that.

That's a neat set up. Nice job!!

I just purchased a used Garmin 765 and looking for some ideas and advice as to location and mounting method. I intend to wire it in to the electrical system also so if anyone has a preference as to which wiring system is better I would appreciate that also. Thanks.

These are the snagglestuds that were referred to earlier. Remove the nut that secures the upper handlebar and replace with this. One is drilled and tapped for ¼-20 if you so desire

snagglestuds.jpg

I had for quite awhile one of the ebay specials. Wasnt to bad, but after a ouple months I had to gorilla glue one of the swivel parts. No problem as by then I had figured where I want it. Then maybe a year or so later the other adjustment simular thing and fix. Over all I got my 8 buck ot whatever out of it. I replaced it with a ram mount X type.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to conclude this with the mount I ultimately went with. Cost and ease of install were two concerns. I purchased a handlebar mount with a case for the GPS to fit inside. It was cheap and mounted to the right handlebar just by moving the rubber cover that is located where the horizontal piece meets the vertical piece. It also provides some protection from rain or other damage. It only cost $9.00 and I have only had it installed for a few weeks so don't know about how long it will last.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231367236154

I wired it directly to my auxiliary circuit and hid the wires. The mini usb plug stays inside the cover. I also use the Gamin 765 for it's mp3 feature and play music through it. It allows installation of a memory card so I put a 16 gb card in it just for music. I also hid the wire that goes from my cassette converter to the GPS. This is the wire I purchased to supply power to the unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190554543018

So now when I turn the bike on, the GPS turns on also. I can operate it through the plastic cover. I wish it was about 1/4" wider as, with the plug going to the headphone connection on the unit it is a tight fit. The other good thing about the Garmin 765 is if you are using voice directions, the music will be interrupted while the directions are playing then return to the music. It also has a transmitting feature where you can play it through your FM radio but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It is appreciated.

IMG_1143 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1142 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1145 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1144 (1280x960).jpg