IGNORED

exhaust collector options

I am holding off on starting anything with making a new collector until it is for sure whether or not Mark will be supplying the 1st gen collectors again. I have no desire to try to compete with Mark or anyone else if he/they are going to be making these. I would have to sell a bunch of them just to break even on the tooling costs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing with that MIG welder I bought and have replaced the broken nipple/stub. Now I need to finish making another mounting bracket and weld that on.

I wonder if I'll magically get a good seal on those rear downpipes when the exhaust stops moving - I haven't been that successful getting a good seal in the past.

It's installed already, all except the mufflers, but I'll do what I can to take pics.

It's easier to put on than the stocker but a helpful guide in the tech lib here says not to be on the center stand when doing the left rear connectors and that is just not so.

If it isn't on the center stand then the center stand will be annoyingly in your way.

The clamps I posted about here earlier worked really well. You need a deep well 7/16" socket on a 3/8" extension about 8 inches long.

Since the nuts on those project out you know once you have the socket over it there will be no slippage till you crack your socket.

I strained my back I guess and it's spasming today. I took muscle relaxers to try to prevent being full-out immobile and so I didn't work on finishing the install today.

I did start it up without the mufflers on it and I get a very loud rumble accompanied by occasional explosions.

Should my exhaust gases be exploding under these circumstances? I had 1/3 choke on.

I'm hoping to finish the install as well as my double linked shifter tomorrow.

Yes Jeff, I'll post pics of that sometime later too.

It's not very pretty right now, I'm just trying to make it work so far.

The damn lawn needs mowing too and that usually makes my back feel a little abused. ZTR with lumpy bumpy terrain.

I strained my back I guess and it's spasming today. I took muscle relaxers to try to prevent being full-out immobile and so I didn't work on finishing the install today.

I did start it up without the mufflers on it and I get a very loud rumble accompanied by occasional explosions.

Should my exhaust gases be exploding under these circumstances? I had 1/3 choke on.

Hmmm.... unfinished exhaust installation.... Yup, I'd say a few explosions might be considered normal. :Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm hoping to finish the install as well as my double linked shifter tomorrow.

Yes Jeff, I'll post pics of that sometime later too.

Wonderful!!! When you do perhaps I will be able to figure out what a double linked shifter is and what it might accomplish. :smile5:

Glad I have 3 parts bikes.....I haven't inspected them much at all but they are for the most part complete and have spent most of their existence in the NW United States so far as I know. My advice to us all would be to buy parts bikes when you can and have the room for it (them); maybe some folks don't have the room and some do; maybe they could get together if practicable and help each other out with storage,,,not everyone has a 3 car garage...

I am glad that Mark has decided to go back into production, seems if there is a market there will be someone willing to satisfy that market.

Great thread! Very informative!

Well that's one approach. Here in the Pacific. NW US. there are Ventures on CL fairly often, about half are beaters or 2 steps from being parts bikes. Some are gems...some are gems in the rough... I have a tent in back of my garage I could store some bikes in... so long as they were roll able and don't present too much of a problem I could leave them there. I bet most of us have limited funds for this hobby, Thank God for Ebay and Amazon, but most for this place...if ya can't find your part one place it's sure to be in the other... parts bikes are good investments... if you can't use a part someone here is probably looking for THAT part...,maybe they got the part YOU'RE looking for....

• 1 month later...

image.jpgimage.jpgWhen these start leaking, where the initial leak from most of the time?

my exhaust system is in pretty good shape however I have a fluttering when I crack the throttle. I have tried to locate it but it seems to be coming from the top of the collector between the engine and clector.

I have a budget of 30$ for this(not kidding) can this be an easy fix or is it a can of worms and should just live with it?

• 4 months later...
When these start leaking, where the initial leak from most of the time?

my exhaust system is in pretty good shape however I have a fluttering when I crack the throttle. I have tried to locate it but it seems to be coming from the top of the collector between the engine and clector.

I have a budget of 30$ for this(not kidding) can this be an easy fix or is it a can of worms and should just live with it?

The place that it's not possible to just feel the puffing or the hot gas for that matter is where the two rear cylinders connect to the collector. Mine was in bad shape back there. If you have a wire feed welder it could probably be repaired by grinding away the crud and welding two new SS tubes at the proper angle using 1.5" tubing. I had planned to leave much of the original nipples in place to assist in positioning. You should probably buy new seals for the connections and get some clamps from Dennis Kirk to replace the OEM. It's going to cost more like $50 to $150 to get it done, depending on the parts you'll need and where you get them.

See these threads and/or posts:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?107647-Questions-about-exhaust-system

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96690-exhaust-collector-options&p=929361#post929361

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96690-exhaust-collector-options&p=929978#post929978

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96690-exhaust-collector-options&p=931967#post931967

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96690-exhaust-collector-options&p=932461#post932461

These are mostly my posts and deal with the Marks collector but they contain information that will be useful to you in removing and re-installing, etc.

Don't cheap out! If your seals are degraded or folded over etc. replace them. The clamps I suggested are way better than the stock ones because you can position them to get access and because you can get over the nut even at slightly odd angles. After taking mine off I really didn't relish trying to get things sealed tight using the OEM clamps. Plan on spending the money or see what you can do with high-temp silicone or JB Weld. Or live with it as it is, which could be tough on the exhaust valves in colder weather.

Edited by syscrusher
mo betta

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101973[/ATTACH]When these start leaking, where the initial leak from most of the time?

Is this a pic of YOUR collector? Someone has already performed "open heart surgery" to the collector. The welding done on the underside of the collector indicates someone previously cut open the collector and probably removed the loose internal baffle, then sewed it back up. Since it is highly likely, that this surgery was performed with the collector off bike, perhaps the PO did not use new exhaust gaskets on the nipples when it was reinstalled (item #27 in attached pic).

Exhaust gaskets, all.jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer