IGNORED

Opening a can of worms

Freebird

I echo what others have said, I have never seen you give any criticism about Yamaha or any make for that matter. We all have our likes and dislikes in motorcycles and everything else, it is what makes all of us unique! I feel sorry for the former member as he/she is missing out on what this family is all about!

I can also remember a former member who left due to Harley bashing...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like Bert2006, don't worry about it. I also am holding out for Yamaha, but if Yamaha can't fill my need pretty soon I'll be looking else where. Like you have stated, there is good and bad to all bikes. To me it comes down to my type of riding and what fits me. I'll be open to anything Kaw. Suzk. Honda. Indian. HD when the time comes. If Yamaha doesn't get back into the Touring market it's not going to run me out of here because I may chose to ride something different,there is way to much helpful general information here. And my skin has gotten pretty think from my riding buddies as I'm the only one riding a RSV.

Edited by Shamue

Don

First let me thank you for being concerned about the members. This forum is very open to discussion. If this previous member felt things were amiss he should have spoken up. He could have gotten his concerns out in the open but he chose not to. Perhaps he was talking about some of us not being to happy about Yamaha discontinuing the Venture. My feeling is he is trying to justify leaving the site.

As a side note if you ever feel inclined to bash a Venture you can start with mine. She's tough and she can take it. And she is fast.

Mike

I can't say that I ever recall you posting negative stuff about any bike, but then again I guess it is possible I just missed it. I do not read much of anything anymore that does not seem to specifically pertain to 2nd gen tech issues.

I must say, however, that none of his complaints sound valid to me. Just keep on keeping on...

Now I've gotta move some of that #$^%& snow so I can do some maintenance on my truck. No chance at all to get the bike out in the winter here like I always did in Texas - I'm beginning to forget I even have a bike!

Goose

Hi Don: I have not been a member that long but from all I have read on this site is that you have all ways treated every one as an equal. I think that the person who bad mouthed you needs to grow up. Who cares if you ride a HD/Suzuki/Honda or any other bike. I think the only bike that should be realy trashed is an Ebike. Please don't take that past member serious one person leaving is no loss when you look at how have joined. Like they say everyone has an opinion I think his is one that you should not listen to. That's my 2 cents worth. Just smile and go for a ride on the HD.

Sheeshh,, sure aint hard to understand why not being able to discuss politics or religion is probably in the forums best interest... :stickpoke:

Actually Don,, for your peace of mind, you might wanna think carefully about where the person that responded like they did is at in life.. People's like's/dislike's change over time and when that change takes place, some folks become more intolerant of past comments or decisions made by friends/relatives who were part of their prior lifestyle (its ironic but its usually the person(s) that are loved the most that take the biggest brunt of this - consider that). Its possible that the person you are talking about had some bad experiences in life with Harley motorcycles or even the Harley Culture in itself and, especially if a new form of recreation is being enjoyed by him/her at this time, just seeing you ride a Harley or trying to develop the new Harley site has become part of the increase in that intolerance. With that in mind, if the person is at that level of intolerance - even a slight disapproving/approving past comment on your part could easily be taken to an extreme.. Sad, but what I am talking about happens a lot,, especially in a family environment like we have at VR!!

In the end Boss, you will find that it has way less to do with you/what you ride and way more to do with changes in the person's life who you had the discussion with. VR probably just doesn't fulfill the need for him/her that it once did.. Most, if not all, of the folks here on VR know what you are made of Don. We have either personally benefited from your thoughtfulness/kindness at one time or another or we have witnessed Don Nelson in action, giving himself in one way or another to stick up for the VR family he loves and making life more enjoyable for a whole lot of people.. :thumbsup:

Puc

Edited by cowpuc
I spelled the word "at" like this "a" and had to enter a "t" to make it appear as "at"

I don't even own a bike but I am gonna hang around here as long as everyone lets me.Now you can go ahead and bash my PORSCHE........if you can catch it.:rasberry:

Don, you have done a fantastic job here and I know everyone appreciates it greatly.Get a good nights sleep and don't worry about it.You're the man.

Edited by 1rooster

A most interesting topic here and one I can completely agree with on what the other posters have said. I've seen Don taking a lot of "ribbing" and never retaliate since getting his Harley. That to me says a lot about his character.

I loved the two 2nd gen bikes I have owned and still think they're good bikes but certainly could use some modern updating by Yamaha. I'm expecting some ribbing myself having gone from my 09 trike to the Slingshot. I'll report on that once I get some miles on it. But no matter as I fully intend on sticking around as this place has become my biker family since joining back in 05. Besides I do have a 83 1st gen so I guess I still qualify here.:stirthepot

In the end I for one am grateful Don continues this site even thou he no longer owns a Yamaha. :ice_thy-vi101212101

Larry

To be really honest I understand your feelins about the Hardley. A fully dressed Ultra is one sharp BIKE. Way back when I lost my 56 Pan the guys I was riding with started giving me a hard time because I grabbed up that little Yamaha because it was all I could afford. "We ride Hardley or Nothing!!!"Kind of ticked me off and ended up doing me the favor of causing me to split with them. They lost a wrench and I got my life back. I do drool a little when I look at that "JUNKER" you got Don!

Good discussion going on here. There is an obvious consensus of respect towards Don here, and although I have not met him (yet) it seems well earned.

At least the guy didn't stir up a firestorm and leave in a grandstanding way; he just went away. People go to new paths sometimes. Kudos to Don for caring enough to notice and reaching out. It says more about Don than anything he might have posted to objectively point out the "plusses and minuses" of one bike or another.

It is logical that, because Yam has discontinued the Venture, that eventually more and more people here will have to change their ride. If you have the means and desire to have a new bike every few years, then you will not be on a Yamaha Venture very much longer. Not everyone will be like me, willing to ride an old bike. Then again, it might be boring if everyone was like me. I think that this site will be the place for me as long as there is a subset of active posters who are discussing the same bike I ride. If everyone else had something else and there wasn't any Venture discussion? It would be diminished but I don't know to what degree. I guess it could depend on the strength of friendships created at the Rides, MD's and Meets. So it's interesting to ponder what this site will be like in the years to come.

Now I sent this guy an email because he had been very active and then just went away. I was concerned that perhaps he had health issues, been in a wreck or something like that and was concerned. I do care about the members here and such things bother me at times.

The context and content of the above sentence is one of nobility and extreme transparency into the type of person that Freebird is, let me explain why..

Most of us here on VR are fully aware of what a real friend in life represents,, if we aren't - we need to be.. A true friend is a friend that cares about you.. If something appears to be going on in a buddies life that just doesn't seem right, a true friend will say something, try to find out whats happening and try to find out if there is anything he can do to help.. What you did by contacting your friend and checking up on him is EXACTLY the kind of person that you are Don - its what makes you you and also what makes this website that you created so dynamic in itself...

Now,, with that said and to stick up for my friend Don,, there may be some on here that will have the thought of "yea, but Don does stand to loose a paying member thru this persons leaving - ultimately loosing income by this persons retreat".. I cant break confidence with those that know about the depth of how deep this goes but, trust me,, Don's decision to contact his friend to find out if he was ok had NOTHING to do with $$'s - THAT is not in Don's nature!! I, like many many others on here, know this for a fact..

Oh yea, and about that gorgeous Harley of yours Don,, I cant tell you how many times I have wished you were not in the vulnerable position that you are as being the Boss around here - its to bad but being the Boss comes with a certain element of having to be very very careful what you say in order to maintain peace within the ranks.. I, personally, would LOVE to be able to have you come back with some of the comebacks that have got to have popped into your mind as we pick on you about your bike - YOU have takin our teasing and banter with real royality and a very thick skin Boss!! I, personally, would LOVE to hear your comments about how really really neat the Harley twin cams are.. Someday I am gonna make your aquaintance in person and we can talk openly about all the bad and good things HD has done thru the years!! Just a couple a buddies yakking bikes!!

Good discussion going on here. There is an obvious consensus of respect towards Don here, and although I have not met him (yet) it seems well earned.

At least the guy didn't stir up a firestorm and leave in a grandstanding way; he just went away. People go to new paths sometimes. Kudos to Don for caring enough to notice and reaching out. It says more about Don than anything he might have posted to objectively point out the "plusses and minuses" of one bike or another.

It is logical that, because Yam has discontinued the Venture, that eventually more and more people here will have to change their ride. If you have the means and desire to have a new bike every few years, then you will not be on a Yamaha Venture very much longer. Not everyone will be like me, willing to ride an old bike. Then again, it might be boring if everyone was like me. I think that this site will be the place for me as long as there is a subset of active posters who are discussing the same bike I ride. If everyone else had something else and there wasn't any Venture discussion? It would be diminished but I don't know to what degree. I guess it could depend on the strength of friendships created at the Rides, MD's and Meets. So it's interesting to ponder what this site will be like in the years to come.

I gotta learn to type faster...

The context and content of the above sentence is one of nobility and extreme transparency into the type of person that Freebird is, let me explain why..

Most of us here on VR are fully aware of what a real friend in life represents,, if we aren't - we need to be.. A true friend is a friend that cares about you.. If something appears to be going on in a buddies life that just doesn't seem right, a true friend will say something, try to find out whats happening and try to find out if there is anything he can do to help.. What you did by contacting your friend and checking up on him is EXACTLY the kind of person that you are Don - its what makes you you and also what makes this website that you created so dynamic in itself...

Now,, with that said and to stick up for my friend Don,, there may be some on here that will have the thought of "yea, but Don does stand to loose a paying member thru this persons leaving - ultimately loosing income by this persons retreat".. I cant break confidence with those that know about the depth of how deep this goes but, trust me,, Don's decision to contact his friend to find out if he was ok had NOTHING to do with $$'s - THAT is not in Don's nature!! I, like many many others on here, know this for a fact..

Oh yea, and about that gorgeous Harley of yours Don,, I cant tell you how many times I have wished you were not in the vulnerable position that you are as being the Boss around here - its to bad but being the Boss comes with a certain element of having to be very very careful what you say in order to maintain peace within the ranks.. I, personally, would LOVE to be able to have you come back with some of the comebacks that have got to have popped into your mind as we pick on you about your bike - YOU have takin our teasing and banter with real royality and a very thick skin Boss!! I, personally, would LOVE to hear your comments about how really really neat the Harley twin cams are.. Someday I am gonna make your aquaintance in person and we can talk openly about all the bad and good things HD has done thru the years!! Just a couple a buddies yakking bikes!!

HE has to take it!!! I can outrun Him!!!:backinmyday::innocent-emoticon: Even If I have to Wake Brown Sugar up!!!:innocent-emoticon:

I won't go into a long diatribe here but will just confirm that it has nothing to do with the money. I have said before and will say again, it would not be my desire for anybody to ever leave here over the lack of 12.00. I have extended free memberships to several people once I found out that they were having financial issues. I even told this guy that if it was about the money that I would pay it for him. The money was not an issue for him or for me.

HE has to take it!!! I can outrun Him!!!:backinmyday::innocent-emoticon: Even If I have to Wake Brown Sugar up!!!:innocent-emoticon:

:crackup::rotf:

I have a neighbor who rides a gorgeous new Harley,, threatened to quit riding with me if I didnt quit riding these ugly ol Yam's,, or at least wash my bike once in a while:fiddle:... I said COOL - at least you wont be in my way anymore!!

Sure wish this :snow: would STOP so I could go down and :stickpoke:with the ol coot.. :witch_brew::backinmyday: