IGNORED

Metzler tires strike again...

videoarizona

Well...this past weekend was set for a nice run for the VR and I And my buddy with his HD Ultra. From home port in Green Valley south of Tucson...north to Phoenix, then I-17 to Flagstaff, down 89A to Sedona, Cottonwood, Phoenix then back to GV. Two days with overnights in Phoenix. Roughly 600 mile weekend.

Left GV after lunch on Friday and got about ten miles at 70mph when the bike started shaking gently. Few more miles and I knew something was wrong. Pulled over and found the rear tire had a large crack developing on one of the tread ridges. I turned around and came home on back roads at 35. Swapped my gear to VStar 950T and took off.

The only thing I can figure out is that the P.O. must have kept the tires at Yamaha pressures, not Metz tire pressures. When I got the bike 8 months ago..the tire pressures were right at factory recommendations. So...I put the pressures up to 44 rear, 38 front and liked the ride and handling. I ride mostly single so didn't need max load pressure. But guess the damage was already done by the P.O with the lower pressures..

Tomorrow I'll try to get some pics and post them.

So guess I need to find some time to start tearing down the rear end of my 89 VR so I can get the wheel off. Going to check the drive train while I'm there....may have the dreaded broken shaft/nut since I have noise on decel and a slight intermittent oil leak by kickstand.

Geesh...hope I remember where everything goes when it's time to put it all back together...! Grins! :hurts:

How old is this tire, and what model?

I am thinking about putting an 880 WWW on the front of my RSTD

I thought this metzler thing was from at least 5 years ago.

Metzler 880's. I don't know how old...they "look" new...but had serious cupping when I got bike from underinflation. Cupping is reduced now due to my increasing air pressure to just under max of tires. Enclosed two pics show tire wear (lack of) and separation in tire. Cold this morning so doesn't look like much...but after ten miles at 70mph on Friday afternoon, the bulge was pronounced and easily felt....

IMG_20141118_090715_862.jpgIMG_20141118_090707_023.jpg

Glad you didn't blow it, that's no fun.

Me too. Had that happen outside of Mineola, Texas many moons ago. Fully loaded DS6C at freeway speed...wallowed back and forth....slowed down and coasted to a stop. Credit my past dirt bike riding in New Hampshire woods to keeping myself upright and "sashaying" to the side of the road!

Here are some of the documents I have saved from others that I used when I changed my tire on the 89.

Now when I switched with the 87, that was a different easier story.. as the pictures show.

Nice! Good idea actually! Be able to work underneath at a nice sitting postion rather than crawling on floor!

Thanks for Doc's...I've seen them before but couldn't find. I downloaded this time so they are ready for printing!

This 880 was brand new when we left Michigan last spring.. I watch my tire pressures very closely, the tire was never ran low and maintained at Metzler Specs.. It was subject to a lot of hot tarmac, did Mexican Border in Texas, across Az, up thru Nellis and California Coast, up to Washington and back down to Sacramento - this is what we pulled into Sac with!! I checked it over very carefully before I left Oregon (I have witnesses - Sargent Coffey can verify) for Sacramento and there were NO signs of what was to come!!

I picked up a CHEAP (70 bucks) Full Bore to replace this junk 880 - tire did GREAT!! Suffered thru the same high temps on way home, same fully loaded up bike.. Yes, it was wore out after going across the country BUT it did NOT come apart like the Metz and it was a "cheapy" Full Bore!!

Ironically,, I mentioned this to one of our buddies (a straight shooten Texan) and come to find out,, he and his wife had the same thing happen to them only theirs blew out and resulted in a very bad accident!! Almost lost their lives to one of these Metzlers coming apart!! I wont share his name (he can if he wants) but I think he even complained to Metzler about this issue with not good results..

I cant say I will NEVER run another Metz cause ya NEVER know what ya might be stuck with out on the open road BUT,,, it would have to be the only tire available after finding what I found out!!!

20140624_191444.jpg

20140624_191448.jpg

20140624_191528.jpg

Me too. Had that happen outside of Mineola, Texas many moons ago. Fully loaded DS6C at freeway speed...wallowed back and forth....slowed down and coasted to a stop. Credit my past dirt bike riding in New Hampshire woods to keeping myself upright and "sashaying" to the side of the road!

Wow, that sounds eerily familiar all the way to what you're crediting for saving it.

Angelo....yep.

Puc, it looks like you had a crack/split right below where the chunk fell out. In picture #1. Gotta think that the first indication of a problem is the split...then followed by the chunk blowout. Bet the heat added to the problem. Just like mine.....except I didn't get that far....just have the split. You were lucky, me thinks, my friend!