IGNORED

Knee replacement surgery anyone??

1BigDog

Im seriously thinking about having knee replacement surgery within the next year. I wanted to wait about 8 more years as I got closer to retirement but the pain is getting to be a drag.

Has anyone here had it done and if so, how has it affected your riding. Recovery time? Flexability? :sick:

Im seriously thinking about having knee replacement surgery within the next year. I wanted to wait about 8 more years as I got closer to retirement but the pain is getting to be a drag.

Has anyone here had it done and if so, how has it affected your riding. Recovery time? Flexability? :sick:

Well that's something the Muffinman and myself have not performed yet . But the Colortune was a success , so I think we will have no problem replacing your knee . You just say the word Jeff and the Muffin and myself will be right down there ! Shouldn't be any harder than staying at a Holiday Inn .

BEER30

Guest ReinyRooster

My father has had both done and wished he had done it sooner. Doc said if I was about 15 years older, I'd get one too but he won't give it to me yet. I use the treadmill as often as I can to stregthen the leg muscles around....helps a bit.

my mom, had both knees replaced, 4 months apart!

at age 82, she was probably an exception to the rule. originally ,her Dr. wanted to do one, wait 8 months, and do the other,

her recovery went so well, that he decided to go ahead and do the second one, as soon as the incision healed on the first.

she is now PAIN FREE, and wishes she had done 20 years ago!

best of luck to you , ruff!

just jt

Hey Ruff.

I have not had a knee replacement, however a real good friend of mine has. He RIDES a Goldwing. He is retired and did both knees at the same time. If I remember right he was off the bike for about 3 months! not to bad. He too says " I wish I had done this sooner" He feels great now and in fact has taken up tennis at 72 years old!

:080402gudl_prv:

Gene

Hey Ruff,

My SO had a knee replacement a few years back (5 maybe) and said that she would have done it earlier rather than put up with the pain.

That being said she worked hard with physical therapy and fought through the post op pain.

The PT is the most important part. You will be responsible for range of motion etc. The harder you work at it the better.

She was back riding her bike within about 4 months. Today, a scar and no pain !

Paul

I had my first one replaced when I was 18. Then I had both of them done 6 years ago when I was 48. I am not going to lie to you but it is a long road back to full recovery. You can be up and around in about 6 weeks. To get back up to full speed is a while longer. It all depends on rehab and how well the surgery goes.

Range of motion is limited and riding the bike is a challange at times. Riding 2 up with a full load can be scary at times. Its not the riding it is the stopping and takeoffs. It is hard to put your full trust in the knees and if you get any lean after the stop you really have to pay extra attention.

Best of luck with your decision and if I can answer any other questions shoot me a PM.

I had both hips replaced about 3 months apart about 4 years ago. Sorry I waited so long. I have known others that had knees done and nobody has regretted it.

Just do a little research and get someone that is good to do the surgery, and plan ahead for plenty of time for rehab. Even with the hips, it was only a month or so and I was mostly back to normal. Did take most of those 4 years though, to convince myself to get back on a motorcycle after a 20+ year gap. My Dr. wasn't in favor of it, but I love being able to swing a leg over the bike again.

Thats one of my biggest fears, not being able to ride again. Since im only 52 i'm really hesitant to have this done yet, but im also at a point where the pain is too great at times. I've missed going on many trips because of it, along with some other issues. Right now I have to mount the bike from the high side because I dont trust my left knee to support me. I one leg hop thing...LOL. I already talked to a few who said they would come over with a SawZall and perform surgery for free. You may get your chance.......

I have been looking after my wife as she had hers done in mid Jan.. She it coming along, off of her walker now and uses a cane most of the time, there is a fair amount of pain that goes with it but all in all she is doing OK. I am hoping that she will be far enough along by mid Apr. so that I can get away and do some trout fishing in the mountains, and my bike is making a growling noise every time I walk past it. Good Luck With the Ole Bones.

Keep the Sunny Side Up and the Rubber Side Down......................:cool10:

I had mine left one done in 04. The doctor that did mine perfected this procedure. Total left knee,small incision,maybe 9 ins. I have no regrets,not alot of pain after surgery. The therapy is the key .Do your exercises and you will be fine . I rode after 3mos. with no problem,still riding with no problem.Yes I wish I had done it sooner.

• 8 years later...

Hi All im 3 weeks today out from a total right knee replacement. Cleveland Clinic did mine. It has been excellent. No pain at all coming out of surgery. I was driving 1 week after the surgery but that is not the norm. I went back to work after my second week. I choose the virtual physical therapy. About a week before the surgery a company comes to your home and they set up a computer that has cameras and your rehab program loaded into. As you do you therapy. the therapist usually looks at your results the next day and then you have a virtual dr. appt where you review how your sessions are going. It is everyday It can get tiring but it definitely gives you an advantage.

Also the first week after surgery I was doing something every hour that I was awake. it was not sleep time. Every hour it would be leg lifts, walk around the house (on the inside) and do your flexing exercises. I do get stiffiness at bed time and the first thing when I wake up but no pain at all. During pre Op. Cleveland Clinic said they have learned to control the pain so if your feeling any pain after the surgery they feel they haven't done their job right. They are very good at it. For Surgery there is a pain killer they put right in the knee area, and then another drip in your thigh that last a couple days after the surgery and then a spinal block. They did not do the spinal block on me because there is so much arthritis in my spine. (its a ***** getting old). I woke up from surgery and felt great. Im at 130 on the bend and feeling real good. I walk with a cane about half the time but my goal is to be done with the cane by May 1. I do get stiffiness if i sit a long time. My job involves a fair amount of sitting, but after i start walking the stiffness eases up. Im going up and down the stairs now with both legs. The first 2 weeks it was strong leg to climb and weak leg to descend. I do go into live pt sessions where they help massage the area.

As of today there is just a little bit of swelling left. The one thing i do notice is temperature change. If it is cold outside my knee seems to be a little stiffer as it warms up then the knee area loosens up. I have been 1000% happy with what Cleveland Clinic did. I need my left done but its not giving me any trouble. Ill look at it right before I retire in 3 years. Im also riding a stationary bike that I have and that helps a tremendous amount. I plan to get back on the bike June 1 and feel I will hit that goal right on time. To prevent the withdrawals i did go to bike week in Daytona Beach the week before my surgery. For those of you approaching a knee replacement if your dr. offers the virtual physical therapy take it. It will speed up your recovery and you will love it.

Edited by orlean1

WOW thats AMAZING Or = CONGRATS on the new knee and CONGRATS that everything went so well my friend!! IMHO,, it is ALWAYS a pleasure reading success stories like the one you wrote!!! :thumbsup:

All the best as you continue your therapy!!

I had my knee replaced last September. I was back to work in 3 weeks. I didn't drive until I was off the pain killers and I was riding after about 5 weeks. It's been almost 7 months and I'm getting close to being back to normal. No knee pain, just some discomfort, weakness and some numbness that is slowly getting better each day. I was in pain for about 1 1/2 years and I'm glad I did it.

I ride a Venture and a Vmax and there is no difference this year at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am due to get my left knee done this fall. The Dr. said he would do the right one about 6 months later. I told him I would not spend another summer on crutches so we might push it back to fall. Everyone I know that has had knee or hip replacements done says they wish they had done it sooner.

I love all these success stories. However it hasnt been that way fo us. Don had the surgery in mid January. He was in pain 24/7. He did the therapy but it just wasn't helping. Doctor said he had a lot of scar tissue forming and decided to go back in and remove that and replace the top joint with a smaller one. That was 4 weeks ago. He is doing much better this time. Still had a lot of pain but it is slowly getting better every day. He is doing therapy 3 days a week at the office and works it at home every day. It has been a long haul for us.

I can't tell you about the riding part because we don't have a motorcycle any more. If we did, I am sure it would be a trike. I can tell you he would probably do it again if need be. We travel full time and this has put us way behind in our plans for this year. At this point I am not sure if we will be able to go anywhere this summer or not. We will see next month at his next doctor appt and PT eval.

All I can say is if you have it done, do exactly what the dr and PT therapist says. Good luck

Patti and Don