IGNORED

Muffinman broke my scoot !

BEER30

This afternoon , I rushed home to remove my leather , seat and tank off in preparation of Muffinman's arrival to colortune my scoot . Only to find out I was the guinea pig ! This was Jeff's first 2nd Gen to castrate with the colortune . He jerked out my plugs , threw them across my garage , and I thought he tried to swipe one of my spark plugs , but it fell into the scoot where it couldn't be seen . I have never heard Jeff swear so darn much , knowing he was working on a 2nd gen to be able to pass a MKII 1st gen . Watch out now Todd !

As Jeff was throttling up my scoot to view the flame front , the exhaust out of my Baron 4-2-4's almost tipped over the blonde on which it was parked behind my scoot . I have never seen Salty run so fast to try to catch it from falling , while he was telling me that "Jeff sure does smell GOOD !". Jeff asked Salty if he wanted to colortune his next , and he replied " I take the fifth " . But the smell of Jeff made him hungrier , so Salty left towards home to go get pizza . After Salty left , Jeff and I started putting the scoot back together , leather and all and to clean up the floor full of tools .

"What's this ?" I asked .. "Spare part" replied Jeff . 4 brass bullet like caps as to which he replied , "Less weight , go faster ! " . So now I understand why 1st gens are faster , because they loose parts !

Now the date has been set to colortune Tim261's scoot next ! Make sure you have a catch bucket nearby there , Tim !

The scoot sounds great with the exception that Jeff took over and tuned my XM to the Black Owl radio channel .:rotf: (old timer's radio) Tomorrow will be the test to see if I can twist off the speedometer .

BEER30

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gene I always heard spare parts were the mark of a good mechanic. :rotf::rotf: Evidently you just didn't need them parts.

Now Jeff gets to work on Tim's 2nd gen. I'll make sure to take pictures since you guys didn't this time.

Margaret

I must be a better Mechanic than I though!!!!!

Beer,

[seriousness] Not to Hijack this thread and, heaven forbid, make it less jocular than it is but...

How did the color tune go? I understand that it's a real pain to see the color tune but I think that's trying to use it with the tank on. How was it with the tank off? Were you able to see the windows on the plug(s) pretty well? [/seriousness]

Resume jocularity!!

Fingers crossed , I hopped on the scoot this mourning to head to the shop . Double checking the garage floor , not to trip over any spare parts that we might have over looked last night . Didn't want to be a Mini , you know her ......tripping over everything . The scot started up without a hitch . Backed her out of the garage and was asphalt bound . Right off , the purr and rumble of the pipes was so ever pleasant . Kinda sounda like the "AHHHH" that Jeff says after he finished a bowl of chocolate ice cream . With a kick like a good stiff shot of Everclear ! The scoot accerlerated without hesitation and without the vibration it had before . It's a whole new different feel after the colortune and also a carbtune as well .

So saying "Jeff broke my scoot" , he did . Just like a cowboy breaks a wild stead . Now it's time to re-top off the tank with fuel (I hope I do not get anymore of that winterized fuel) , take it out on a good run to check out the MFG . I was dropping down from the 40's to now the lower 30's .

It wasn't until after we started on the scoot did we think of taking photo's , but I didn't want my camera getting damaged , as Jeff throwing parts everywhere and also putting chips in my chrome handlebar weights , as his knoggin was constantly bumping into them . I wonder if that is why he was a little irritable now and then !:rotf:

After all the components we removed off , Jeff pulled the first plug . With almost 31 K on these plugs , Jeff mentioned they didn't look bad , but we replaced them anyways . Jeff and I made a temporary fuel cell out of a 1 gallon plastic cas can . Drilled a whole into the filler spout flat cap and placed a metal air valve stem into it to connect to the scoot's fuel line . The gas can had a air vent cap on it , so we could open to allow a free flow of fuel . We strapped it on top of the air cannisters with a rope ratchet strap . It set there flawlessly . Some cylinders we could use the looking glass tube , some could not . As we were in the garage , we went ahead and turned off the shop lights to see the flame color a lot better . Jeff adjusted the carbs as Salty kept a better look at the flame color as his eyesight was better than mine . Besides , that allowed Salty to get closer to Jeff to get a better whiff of that Great Smell of Jeff ! And for me to look for all them spare part Jeff was tossing . As I had stated , we removed the tank and also removed the dog bones to make the job more simpliler . Just to remember to remove the rear brake res. as well to get that side dog bone off .

Overall , we spent over a couple of hours performing this as we were taking our time . Knowing what we know now , it would take less time . It's not a M & E parking lot job either ! We discussed if we (Jeff) were going to do these again . It will require the owner of the scoot to go ahead and remove the mixture caps prior too (how-to to come later) , and have a minimum of 1 gal of ice cream , bananas , cherries , chocolate fudge , pineapples , whip cream , and more topping ready prior to doing the job . Terms are non-negotionable !!!!!!!

Pic's will be taken when Tim's bike is trashed . On which if I remember will be next weekend .

BEER30

Man did Muffin-Man smell good and the madder he got the hotter he got. The hotter he got the better he smelled. Kinda like fresh bread baking in the oven. :rotf:

We learned some lessons last night and Muffin-Man is pretty sure he can get Tim's done in about an hour. It is definitely a two person job, three if Muffin-Man is doing it. The third person is needed to look for spare parts and tools that get thrown around the shop.

It was pretty amazing to hear the difference in the scoot after just one cylinder being done. For the most part it's not hard to see the colortune except on the left front cylinder, that was was kinda awkward to see. From what Muffin-Man said he didn't have to turn the mixture screw too much, there is a noticeable change in the color going only 1/4 turn each way. All in all I think it's something that should be done to all the scoots and hopefully this will make a difference in fuel mileage. It sure made the scoot sound good especially with those Barons on it.

So if I'm figurin' this out, with the colortune you're actually tuning the mixture (air/fuel) by looking at the explosion of the mixture in the cylinder? I missed the original post on this do-dad. That and right now I got plenty of parts for Jeff to throw around. That sounds cool as all-get-out. D--n, I need to move to NC and buy some ice cream!!!!!!

Dan

So if I'm figurin' this out, with the colortune you're actually tuning the mixture (air/fuel) by looking at the explosion of the mixture in the cylinder?

Dan

Yep that's right. It's basically a spark plug with clear acrylic or something of that sort around the core of the plug. You see a nice perfect ring around the core and adjust the mixture until you get a nice Bunsen burner blue at about 1000 rpm.

Where is going to take place? :whistling:

I'm just being nosie. The wife and Kid are going to be in NJ this week end.:whistling:

At "Duie-Dong" Palace . Or Tim261's in NC for those whom do not know about "Duie-Dong".:rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30

Jeff while I am there at the Meet and Eat you out of house and home I plan on colortuning your bike.Dont worry I wont leave any spare parts on the floor for you to slip on lol

After I figured out how to do the color tune it was relativly easy considering that it was on a Rolling Cow of a second gen. The hardest part will be the removal of the fuel tank but I got a pry bar to remove it with so that wont take to long :rotf:

I plan on trying to color tune as many 2 gens as possible at the North Carolina Family rally in August so here in the near future I will start a thread to get some kind of idea on how many may want it done but first I got to find where to send them for the Ice cream .

Jeff

I've owned the ColorTune for several years. I have found it to be a great product. Some folks have complained that they couldn't see the flame very well but I've honestly had no problems. It works better to do it in the garage or other dimly lit place.

"....and have a minimum of 1 gal of ice cream , bananas , cherries , chocoalate fudge , pineapples , whip cream , and more topping ready prior to doing the job . Terms are non-negotionable !!!!!!!"

The ice cream is waiting. Anyone who would like to come and watch or participate, is welcome. I live on Eric Lane in Reidsville, NC. Muffinman and Mini are shooting for a noon arrival.

RiderDuke, that is about 200 miles for you.

I am scheduled for Dr. Muffinman on this Saturday, the 21st. He has gotten Beer30's and he is after mine now.:fiddle:

Be forewarned Timd261, it's not a pretty sight. It's not a quick grip and snip like back on the farm. Muffinman seems to take sick pleasure in castrating second gens.:stirthepot:

I am scheduled for Dr. Muffinman on this Saturday, the 21st. He has gotten Beer30's and he is after mine now.:fiddle:

This sounds like a great thing to do to a second gen. Do you all also have the K&N Air filters on? Because that would change alot to being it allows more air in. So wouldn't you want to add those before you colortune? Just a question. Bye the way Saturday is the 22nd. I need to get out and met some of you venture riders that live here in NC because all of y'all have some talent that I wish I had. Good luck on your operation this weekend I hope all goes well and a speedy recovery.

Thanks TheKid, Saturday is the 22nd. I wish I had read your post before my last comments to my wife. I told her we may have some other people showing up tomorrow. She said " I thought that was being done Saturday. " And I said, what do you think tomorrow is? And she stated, " Friday". Made me go look at a calendar and dang, she was right. Not only that, but I was up dressed and ready to go meet a friend on the bike, because we had planned a trip for Friday morning and to meet at 9 AM. Sure am glad I did not go to the meeting place. I would have been calling him and asking where he was. So let's see, today is Thursday and Saturday is the 22nd. I think I can keep this straight for 48 hours. Just shows how much I am looking forward to the week-end.

You are welcome to come this week-end. It is only about 100 miles from Charlotte. Let me know.

Be forewarned Timd261, it's not a pretty sight. It's not a quick grip and snip like back on the farm. Muffinman seems to take sick pleasure in castrating second gens.:stirthepot:

Dr. Muffinman is not fooling me. I know that deep down in his heart, he has a soft spot for 2nd Gens and I have pictures to support that. I just think he takes pleasure in castrating anything.