IGNORED

Trailer hitch cargo carrier

Skid

Ok I got another question. In searching for ways to have extra cargo space I've looked at adding a hitch mounted carrier. I guess the only way on a Venture is adding tail lights because the lights are so low. Anyone else has suggestions??

Edited by Skid

There are a couple of guys who mounted an additional trunk to match the upper one in the same manner as the cargo rack. Still will need lights. There is always the discussion of whether or not the license plate is visible or needs to be visible

Make sure it's a POWERED Hopkins/NAPA (NAPA part no 755-1596) 5 to 4 converter.... It will isolate your trailer/cargo carrier/cooler rack without frying your electrical system...

There is also a plug and play that allows ease of converter hookup on this site. (M61A1MECH)

Edited by CaptainJoe

Wow Gary, that looks great. Never thought about doing the lights that way but definitely looks good.

Also what is the best way to connect into the lights for a trailer?

Thanks. I tied into the wiring at the connector under the seat. Had to get one of those converter things to go from separate turn signals into double contact bulbs. I didn't really make a rack but just a frame under the Rubbermaid box that plugs into the receiver. That helps to keep the total weight down.

Darn Skid I had 2 racks at Asheville rally.I sold one for $5.I still have one and it has a motorcycle trunk mounted on it.i have the lights but haven't wired them in yet.You could have gotten it REAL cheap had I known you wanted one.And the trunk was black,just saying.Hey Yammer Dan,when you buy my 86 you can deliver the rack to Skid.LOL LOL LOL

Here's the one I built. FYI anything over about 35 lbs. total makes the handling kind of squirrelly with two up and all bags and trunk rack loaded.

That is a good looking trunk rack.

Being the farmer I am, you'd be surprised what a feller can haul with small racks...

I built mine strong with the intention of being able to also use it on the Toyota (hence the 4 pin). Have actually hauled mineral blocks, 100 lb. bags of corn (anything to dirty to put in "wifes" car. )

Have also hauled 2 gal gas, oil, chainsaw and weed eater on the back of my bike...Tell myself it's to save on gas, but I like to ride...

I ride with 40 lbs. air in rear shock and 3 lbs. in front .

With 45 lbs. on rack(suitcase and extra shoes), I can't tell it's back there riding two up. I'm 222 lbs. and wife's 125 lbs.

Only other thing that I can see that would make a difference, is, I raised and rotated 90 degs. the forks in the triple clamps 1 inch... this might just make the difference in what we're experiencing?

Edited by CaptainJoe

Rooster you got pics?? I could use another reason to get back down in that area for a couple days.

Pictures in classifieds.under Royal Star parts and accessories and another in Second Gen parts.I had them in the car at the campground.Wish I had known you wanted one.