IGNORED

why went down last Friday

mrsteve

So the dealer looked over my bike and didn't really see a reason for the front end to lock up, however the fender had some strange marks on it and it was loose. Started speculating and came up with the two rear bolts were gone. this lead to the fender pivoting back into the tire when I het a bump in the road. This puled the fender up between the two remaining bolts and wedged stopping the rotation of the wheel. At that point I was no longer in control of the bike.

People, it gets up to 115 degrees here in Las Vegas every year so being invincible I don't wear leather. Guess what? I'll never ride without it again.

From now on it's good jacket, good gloves, good pants. What I have is real pain. I know others know what I'm talking about.

I am a lucky man, I was able to get myself out of the roadway with only lots of skin loss, yes I think that is lucky considering my commute for just work is 2100 miles a month.

The fender being wedged is the only reason the wheel would lock up and when the 3 guys that picked my bike up and moved it to the shoulder rocked it to get it rolling didn't see the folded fender.

On a better note for me I am leaving for Kauai next Tues (9-2-14) for 10 days.

The original thread on this ordeal is under the heading What the H just happened?

Oh yea, when someone asks what happened to me I just say I was on Kodiak island Alaska last week and a grizz wanted to skin me and have dinner.....I won and my freezer is now full!

Be careful people, and take the time to check your nuts. (no offense intended)

Steve:sick:

Steve,

I have a good idea what you are going through, having spent lots of time filming burn victims and what they go through. That's what a road rash is...a burn. For that reason alone, I put up with the AZ heat in my helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots. Don't care for the heat...but not fond of the other at all.....

I'm sorry to hear you deposited "lots o skin" to the road gods...but here's hoping you will heal fast!

Thanks for letting us know what happened. Time to go check some fender nuts....so to speak!

Have a great trip to the Aloha State! I love Kauai!

Prayers Up!

david

Steve,

I am so glad your OK. It could have been much worse as you said, and know.

Take care of those new tats ensuring they do not become infected.

Maybe some others who have a bike like yours would have a few spare parts they can pass on to you to help you get yours back on the road.

Here's to wishing you a speedy "full" recovery.

One more thing I would like to say and this is only "my opinion" so take it with a grain of salt...

Leather is OK.. it does protect....somewhat,...but it to tears and your right back to that tattoo monster called pavement.

You might think more in line of protective gear that contains armor protection inserts on elbows, knees and back areas.:whistling:

I feel for you. I had good burn from top of my shoes (not Boots) up to my swimming trunks as far as they could be pushed up, from the waistband of shorts (no shirt) to my chin. Rolled over on my back and got light case there. It is rough to say the least. Those scabs sure do itch!! Hope they can help your pain and you heal quick. Yeah ATGATT ain't a bad idea. Leather don't get that hot!!

Thanks for the update Steve!! As with any "burn" victim, I gotta imagine the regaining of skin loss is gonna take some time and probably be easy access for germs and infection.. I just lost a very close to friend of mine to some weird flesh eating bacteria that started with some,,, less than stellar care of a skin loss situation.. PLEASE handle your recovery carefully and avoid infection at all cost!!

Also, please know you have my thoughts and prayers during the process!!

Crazy stuff this biking is,, scary to think a loose fender could cause something so severe.. THANKS for the reminder my friend!!

Hope your Kauai trip goes great in spite of all this!

Puc

Glad ya pulled through without getting busted up...or worse....

The skin will grow back, and any scars will give you character. I have a little of that myself.

Enjoy your trip and take good care of yourself.... hope you heal quickly.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Before you sign the papers to release your bike from the dealer (after they say its fixed), I would get on the ground on passenger side and look at the rear shock for oil leaks to ensure the rear shock didn't bottom out and blow the seal...

let them prove it didn't happen in the accident.

However, this would be just as challenging for you to prove it wasn't blown before you brought it in., BUT....you could tell them you checked it before you rode it because you washed it all up and when you down there were cleaning the rear rim you checked it for leaks..and there was no signs of oil on it..........

Steve,

You are a very lucky man. The consequences of an accident such as yours could have been far worse. It just wasn't your time!! A prayer for your healing and one of thanks for keeping you with us.

I would agree with Eck that leathers are not as practical as some other options. Armored riding jackets are far more durable and are much cooler. The choices are many and the prices are all over the map. I would avoid those made from "plastics" that would melt when scraped between you and the road. The melted material is very difficult to remove from your body.

I hope your luck holds, enjoy your vacation,

Not trying to be smart about this....but...the top burn docs in the country disagree with you...

The "abrasion" causes heat which is what burns the skin layers. Burns actually occur below the layer being "burned". The top layers are injured by the abrasion, the bottom layers are injured by the heatgenerated. That is what makes a burn deadly.

I'm hoping Steve's injuries aren't that deep...just surface abrasion.

david

Edited by videoarizona
Expand on thought.

Not trying to be smart about this....but...the top burn docs in the country disagree with you...

The "abrasion" causes heat which is what burns the skin layers. Burns actually occur below the layer being "burned". The top layers are injured by the abrasion, the bottom layers are injured by the heatgenerated. That is what makes a burn deadly.

I'm hoping Steve's injuries aren't that deep...just surface abrasion.

david

As a trauma nurse for 15 years, I have to agree also. This injury is treated just like a very bad burn and rated in the same way. Glad you are doing well. Good advice from ole Puc there too. Take care!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Approved-Full-Armor-Motorcycle-Jacket-L/dp/B00BFWK3PY]Amazon.com: CE Approved Full Body Armor Motorcycle Jacket-L: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lhwIEVGlL.@@AMEPARAM@@51lhwIEVGlL[/ame]

This is not leather its ten times better in the heat. You can wear it as it has a cooling action in any heat.

But if it gets cool you will need something with tight sleeves at the wrist to put on over it or you will freeze. I always wear it on hot days with UA under it just to keep cool. Or maybe go for a slide.