IGNORED

Has anybody tried a Shinko 777 either front or rear or both?

syscrusher

Sorry, I don't know anything about that tire. I did recently read an article that had a bit of interesting information about the history of Shinko tires. They were reviewing a different Shinko tire though that is not related to our sizes. Generally praised the performance but complained about it lasting about half as long as other tires. Like I said though, it is a different tire for a different type of bike.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/shinko-verge-review/

The tourmaster 230 get decent reviews over on the HD sites I have looked at for info. While not the milage we typically see from the MC2, E-3 and Avons they say its good. If I remember rite its around 8K. The load rating is higher than any of the before mentioned tires also. I have one mounted up on the back of my 09 RSV and will be interested in seeing what kind of milage I get.

Shinko Tourmaster holds the road better than Avon & E3 yet the Shinko has the worse tread wear due to softer tread compound as my rear tire wears out around 8,000mi I still have the Tourmaster on the front of my midnight but to let everyone know it's a rear tire mounted backwards giving me double the tread wear and still in great

Edited by buddy

I don’t know about the 777, but the 230 has been the best front tire I have had on the front of a RSV. I have 15K on it and it is just beginning to show a little wear. I have tried a couple 230’s on the rear, but I only got around 7K.

Earl

Put 2 of them on my VStar. Rear tire lasted about 9k miles and maybe could have lasted another 1 or 2k, but got a screw in it and decided to replace it. Front tire is still mounted and has around 14 to 15k on it and looks like it could go a few thousand more miles.

Put two of them on my VStar as well.....they handled excellent!

What Buddy said is accurate...they are softer compound so they wear faster...but they stick better in rain and dry. Toss up..do you want stick or tread life. Even NASCAR runs soft tires for better "stick".

I elected to have "stick" and will swap out my factory type tires with Shinko's as soon as the $$ is there. (supporting 2 kidlets through college).

FWIW...

david

Different seller on Amazon, still free shipping:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shinko-777-Front-Tire-90H-18/dp/B007SSAMY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408162196&sr=8-2&keywords=shinko+777+120+90-18]Amazon.com: Shinko 777 Front Tire - 120/90H-18/--: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/317Xgr5YlAL.@@AMEPARAM@@317Xgr5YlAL[/ame]

The front is what I need now. I may try one there and see what I think.

• 9 months later...
Newest info on the rear 777 shows as a 80 load range @ 992lb @ 42psi.

Not sure what that means, but just a month or so ago, I mounted the 777 whitewall on front and back of my RSV. Running 40 psi in rear and 36 psi in front. Have made the trip from Bham area to Smokie Mountains, rode the Dragon and other roads up there, including some very wet twisties and I am pleased with the performance. Only time will tell about how they wear. Over 80% of my riding is interstate since I ride it daily to work.

Load range =80 means 992 lbs per axle (tire) vs say a load of 74 which is max 827. So as you can see you have a bit more fudge factor on load carrying (165lb) Not to say you should add that much extra weight as the shocks and other things play into max load. But it sure is nice to have the comfort of knowing you have room to have extra weight without the worry of overloading and overheating a tire and having it come apart.