IGNORED

Current Status

rjjammer

I normally don't post much, Its hard to compete with all the witty commentary here, but I sure enjoy the banter. I thought some would be interested in the transformation my 86 has made since I acquired it.

I purchased the bike in 2000 off an obscure ad in a local paper in Idaho. I paid 1800 for it then, but it was a bit rough. The previous owners had dropped and crashed it several times. He said it was too big and heavy and he could not hold it up. The mechanicals were ok but it had lots of damage to the plastics and crash bars. There was a hole worn through the right side of the faring! every tab was gone or broken. I slowly collected parts and repaired others. Painted it once in 2001 and again in 2010. Once I found this site, one by one the gremlins were chased away, upgrades were made as I could find time.

Here it is now, with the following list of upgrades and fixes.

Using a donor bike the faring was replaced.

Fuel tank removed and cleaned and lined

Clearview windshield

Other plastic repaired and or replaced.

Valves adjusted

Carbs just rebuilt and dialed in with carb tune ( I left ethanol gas in it and it sat too long!)

new loud horn

New tires

R1 and FJR brake upgrade, brakes delinked, master cylinders rebuilt

Stainless lines

Upgraded fuse block

Upgraded aftermarket TCI

Progressive springs, anti dive removed and blocked off

Fork Brace

Re upholstered seat

Starter upgrade using the update found here for the two brush starter.

New orings and various other parts for the cooling system.

re soldered the contacts in the CASS and Computer monitor

various other fixes and small mods I cant remember right now.

Winter project is LED lighting mods and trying to find a couple add ons. Passenger armrests and if possible the front chrome wheel hub covers to fit with the R1 Brakes. :fingers-crossed-emo

I want to say thanks to the many vendors here and a special thanks to all that wrote articles that had tons of valuable information that I shamelessly took and used to my advantage. Here are some pics for those that would send the dreaded "This post is worthless without pics" comment!:stickinouttounge:

Look past the dust on it, I live on a gravel road and I keep riding it so its hard to keep clean!

Very nice !!!!!!!!!!

It sure makes one proud to accomplish such a long task and I give you a whole lot of credit in keeping that persistence to not loose the interest.

Well Done!!!!!! :biker:

I wish you many "safe" - dependable miles on it. :thumbsup2:

It is so good to see a bike that someone brought back from the almost dead. Many would have skipped over that bike and you have put the work and love into it to truly make it your's. I hope you get many great miles and smiles with it. Thank you for the update for what you did.

Great job.

RandyA

Beautiful machine. I have an 87 purchased new and I've been considering replacing it. But I love it, quirks and all. Many memories and good times. Congratulations for what you've accomplished. I love the style of these bikes. IMO, nothing looks as good. Your bike helps me lean more towards keeping it. Thanks.

Yea nice to read about progress! And with PICTURES! After reading this, I might be looking for a deal on one and do the same painstaking recovery process. It is a solid platform and I have an 08 which yours can certainly out tow! I may have to move on to a Gold Wing.

Nice job.

-------I want to say thanks to the many vendors here and a special thanks to all that wrote articles that had tons of valuable information that I shamelessly took and used to my advantage. Here are some pics for those that would send the dreaded "This post is worthless without pics" comment!

Great job and great post. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for the kind words, the color is called amethyst pearl, its a 99 Dodge color, it looks black in low light, looks blue and purple depending on the angle you look at it. My Dodge truck is this color and I always thought it was unique.

RJ