IGNORED

Windshields

BARKEEP1956

Hello group. I have to replace my windshield and was checking to see if anyone has used Clearview replacement windshields? I like the height of the original and they offer one that works. The big thing is price. A replacement OEM is $300 plus. Clearview seem to be about around $100 cheaper. I am curious if they are good or if it is a matter of "you get what you pay for". Thanks

I have had 3 Clearviews and now I am VERY happy with the F4.

I will stick with the F4 from now on :-)

I like the features that F4 Has in there design as well.

Cleaning, water shed property's, etc.

However the F4 will cost more.

The clearview is also a good product as well.

Before my last trip to The Dalles the choice was f4 , clearview, baggershield. I chose the f4 thinking it would provide a little more wind break for the passenger. She was happier with the new bilt flip face modular helmet and said it made more of a difference. I like it's clarity, and and the wider size after a few miles was no issue. There customer service is great and I like the holes instead of slots for mounting. As a bonus there was no shipping charge and they added a bottle of the cleaner for $7 included in the box. Received it in less than a week. Next time may try the baggershield for that wind in your face experience.

Noticed the other day a small crack extending from one of the mont holes on the OEM. Dont know what I will go to. I have a shield I cut down a little, but its maybe a little to short. The OEM is a bit to tall in rain for me. I hate to buy a shield and then decide its not what I want.

Anyone make their own out of lexan?

I have had an F4 for 2 years now and couldn't be happier with it. Great water shedding and clarity. The wife also loves it as the buffeting she gets is greatly reduced. I have the model with the vent and highly recommend the vent no matter if you choose F4 or Clearview.

I went from a Clearview to an F4, and love it. The Clearview will shatter if something hits it. I dropped mine from 4 ft high and it broke into 3 pieces. The F4 won't break...it will bend. You can also clean an F4 with Windex & paper towels, and it won't scratch.

Watch this video. Clearview is acrylic. F4 is polycarbonate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE]Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plastic - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for all the info. I hadn't even heard of F4, but I am definitely interested now. Has anyone tried the tinted over the clear?

I have one. the pics of the TINT are from my ride on the F4 site.

I have had 3 vented screens in the past. I do NOT on this one.

I saw no use for them except to let in hot air and lots of bugs.

I am very happy now that I do not have a vent.

good luck on what you decide.

Jeff

I replaced my OEM with a Clearview I got from one of the members that had gone to an F4.

The Clearview I have is shaped to deflect the wind, is lightly tinted (not really noticeable), and has the vent. Stock height.

Nancy has noticed more airflow on her forehead (full face helmets) but no buffeting.

I like having the vent because mornings where the OEM would fog up on the inside the Clearview doesn't. With the vent closed, air is deflected up the inside of the screen (top of vent has openings). As for pros/cons of the vent, if you want it closed you close it, or open it to multiple stops to get the amount of air you want.

The wider screen helps with keeping some (not all) of the cold air off your hands.

From reading, sounds like people that had the Clearview went to the F4 (which I think we get a discount on as well as the Clearview - check discount section). Some went Baggershield...but I think most went F4. People have said that the tint on the F4 is darker than the Clearview but I don't believe it is vastly greater...but is noticeable.

Don't think you'll be disappointed in either the F4 or Clearview. Both are good replacements for the OEM.

The F4 tint is about DOUBLE the tinting on the screen. (from the clearviews tint ver.)

Keep this in mind when riding at night. I ride to work in the

early AM and I do notice the difference.

I ride more in the daylight and I like the darker tint myself.

make for less reflection from the tank area.

Don , do you have my old clearview :think: I forget easy these days :scratchchin:

On my 650 Classic and my 950 Tourer, I went with Clearview with a vent and noticed a major difference in lack of buffeting and the additional airflow...which is good in Arizona!

I had no clue that the acrylic would shatter like the video shows....

Guess I need to research the F4. I want one that I can see over...unless the reports from you all say the buffeting is to much for the backseater. Does the F4 come in that size for 1st gen VR's?

Thoughts?

david