IGNORED

Source for the rubber "collars" that hold the side panels on?

Ideas?

thanks, david

I get mine from the Yamaha dealer. They are not very expensive so it is not worth the trouble for me to get them online and have to deal with cross-border shipping which always seems to be a soaker.

Ideas?

thanks, david

By "collars" are you speaking of the grommets (donut shaped rubber), number 4, 17? If so, they are still available from Yamaha. Some folks have found such grommets at a local auto parts store or home center.

If by collars you mean the rubber shouldered sleeve at the rear of the sidecover, number 8, 21, they too are available from Yamaha.

Another option is to clean the surfaces real good where the grommet and the stud is and use industrial strength Velcro. I have used it for years and have never had a problem with heat hurting the glue. On the panel, you can cut a hole where the stud is if it is still there.

Works good for me and have used it for a long time.

RandyA

The new ACE hardware store near me had a gazillion metric O Rings and a few of those pesky Rubbers I need for my side panel. But none that fit. So off to Tucson dealer today and ordered 4.

About $3 each. Be here in a week.

Thanks everyone. Thanks to you guys, I found a close supply of O Rings!!

Has anyone tried filling in the holes and , cutting off the studs and replacing the whole affair with metal snaps like on a tunneau cover or to snap a visor on a helmet. I was thinking about trying this and wondered if anyone already has. Maybe instead of filling the hole insert a rubber plug were the grommet goes then mount one half of the snap to the rubber plug to allow for some flexibility and movement.

Just an Idea I was thinking about :confused24:

Edited by saddlebum

Mine had a broken stud so I drilled a small hole and screwed a screw in. The head pops through the rubber grommet and holds pretty tight. I haven't found the right one for the rear so I have just wrapped electrical tape around until the panel fits over it snug.