IGNORED

Buy a new bike or not?

etcswjoe

I like the idea of keeping the old bike around just a while longer.

I've had conversations with two dealers in the past month about other things, and asked the question about a new Venture coming down the road. Both said yes....

So who knows?

david

Guest tx2sturgis

I've had conversations with two dealers in the past month about other things, and asked the question about a new Venture coming down the road. Both said yes....

So who knows?

david

Amazing that some dealers dont even know that the Venture uses one rear shock instead of two, and yet...some dealers seem to have a crystal ball that predicts things that the Yamaha HQ wont even acknowledge.

Just like Apple computer...we will know it when they show it.

:happy34:

I like the idea of keeping the old bike around just a while longer.

So who knows?

david

If a 2015 or 2016 does come out, it will cost $25,000 (unless it is sub-par to the RSV). At $14,999, Joe has found the best I have yet heard on a new 2012.

And Joe,,, Black is Black. My two favorite colors,,,,,, Black and Chrome !!

And Joe, Contact me if you decide no. I have a friend who wound probably buy it from your dealer. He was looking at used last week.

Mike G

Came in from the garage the other day really frustrated at my bike (charging issues) and my wife told me to just go buy a new one. I have looked at several other bikes including Harley Ultras, Victory both the Cross Country and the Vision, Indian Chief, Voyager, ST1300, Concourse and Gold Wing but none of those seem to fit me and my wife as well as the Venture. The issues I have is since a new Venture would be exactly like my 99 I would be paying mostly for a 5 year warranty an ipod and a different color and of course everything working properly. I have found a leftover new 2012 for 14900, not sure if that is a good price or not but I just can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger. I have not totally discounted Wings but have not found one with a seat yet that would comfortably fit both he the wife and me. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Royal...US_motorcycles

• 1 month later...

Got a call from a family member in a real bind needing to sell his bike so I bought it will ride it a while and see if I like it if I do I will sell one of the Ventures if not I will sell it.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/etcswjoe/IMG_6660_zpsca34b099.jpg

So far my wife likes the rear seat better but not as much room for me, I like the cruise control better and the ride is quieter (no clutch whine), the saddle bags are much smaller, parts are way more expensive and shorter maintenance interval, I do like how nimble it is, don't like the amount of heat that comes off the engine. I will keep at least one Venture the jury is still out on the Harley have to put a few more miles on it to make up my mind.

So far my wife likes the rear seat better but not as much room for me, I like the cruise control better and the ride is quieter (no clutch whine), the saddle bags are much smaller, parts are way more expensive and shorter maintenance interval, I do like how nimble it is, don't like the amount of heat that comes off the engine. I will keep at least one Venture the jury is still out on the Harley have to put a few more miles on it to make up my mind.

and the turn signals make sense ;-)

I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't own a HD - didn't like it with the sidecar - and I like sidecars - so I went back to the RSV

14,9 for left over new is a good deal. I bought a new 2013 last month for 16,9.

i did face a delimea, during my search for the 2013 found a few 2005, 2006's with less than 5000 miles. but by the time I contacted the seller, he had appts to see and bike was sold. after I bought my 2103, I found a 2009 with 300 miles for 9000 bucks.

So there are a lot of used bikes out there that for the most part are garage queens.

i dont think I would make a big deal about the warranty.....I cant go 5 years with out making changes to my bike and I am certainly not taking my bike to the dealer for oil changes.

Holy Freakin Goodness! Boy, did you throw us all for a loop? LOL. This whole thread has been about buying a new Venture or should you keep it, and BAM, look here boys, I bought a Harley! LOL.

Threw me for a loop too, Harley was last on my list it's growing on me but I still have not decided if I will keep it or not, have only put about 1000 miles on it since I got it so still not enough saddle time to be certain.

• 1 month later...
Threw me for a loop too, Harley was last on my list it's growing on me but I still have not decided if I will keep it or not, have only put about 1000 miles on it since I got it so still not enough saddle time to be certain.

Joe unless I missed it, I haven't seen an update on the Harley. You keeping it or no?

I have been looking at adventure bikes (Yamaha Super Teneree). Rode one and also rode a Victory Vision and a Cross Country the same day. The adventure bike is out now. Not going to work for when the wife wants to ride. I have decided on a Vision even as ugly as it is. I had ridden them before and wasn't sure. Now I am. If I can pick up a used one cheap enough, I will still pick up a Vstrom 650 adventure bike as well.

Joe unless I missed it, I haven't seen an update on the Harley. You keeping it or no?

I have been looking at adventure bikes (Yamaha Super Teneree). Rode one and also rode a Victory Vision and a Cross Country the same day. The adventure bike is out now. Not going to work for when the wife wants to ride. I have decided on a Vision even as ugly as it is. I had ridden them before and wasn't sure. Now I am. If I can pick up a used one cheap enough, I will still pick up a Vstrom 650 adventure bike as well.

Bee,

The V-Strom 650 is an awesome bike. I have a cousin that has put over 100K miles on his V-Strom 650 and it has been bullet proof. That bike a few years ago was the European bike of the year. My othere cousin has the V-Strom 1000 and its awesome too. Really cheap on the usd market also.

I have not decided yet, with International and Asheville on the Venture I have not had much time to ride the Ultra, I have only put about 4000 miles on it but I am leaning towards selling it. The bike is fun to ride but not being comfortable on long trips and 2 up it really does not make sense to keep it. I have been eyeing the adventure bikes too but have never ridden one so I can't say if I would like one or not.

• 1 month later...
Well the Harley did not last long sold it yesterday, the guy was like a kid in a candy store. I put 3000 miles on it and it just did not live up to the Venture.

I totally missed this whole episode of "The Life and Times of Smiling Joe" - DOG GONE IT!! That sure looked like a purdy bike my friend.. Pretty cool that you had a chance own and experience one of the new Twin Cam Ultra's - you folks deserved that opportunity!!

Have a fair amount or time on a couple of the newer ones (2010 and 2012 Ultra Limited's - close friends bikes) and found they didnt fit my ride style either Joe.. Harley has come a longgggg ways and sure build a gorgeous bike though!! I think, probably for most us - you included, that we are pretty spoiled.. Covering all the miles that you have on a Venture kinda permanently forms the body:rotf: (I have no idea what I am going to do when there are no more 1st Gens to wear out - hopefully it dont happen before I am physically unable to ride).

Just a heads up, I was at a dealer a month or so back and noticed they still had a left over RSV.. I am almost sure they were selling it for under 12.. If I run into any more of them in our area should I let you know brother? Be glad to do it, even if you decide to go a different route - let me know and I will keep my eyes open for you! Kind of paying you back for rescuing us at Micky D's :bighug:and for that AWESOME sticker for Tweeks:cool10:

Looking forward to following you folks down the road again NO MATTER WHAT YOU RIDE!! :thumbsup:

Puc