IGNORED

you always learn something new: helmet fit topic

Guest Vermincelli

Guest Vermincelli

Seems like no matter how old you are or how experienced you are, you always find out something new.

I have been beating myself senseless trying to find a decent modular helmet that fits. I've tried just about everyone's models and no matter what, be it a "round" shape or "oval" shape, my chin is always against the chinbar and hard into my forehead.

I've talked to many different companies with no help.

Finally I called a small little ebay shop to ask about Cabergs. After chatting he told me that it doesn't really matter what "shape" your head is, the biggest issue for fitting is.... your neck.

He says that a helmet is designed to fit into the crook of the back of your neck. If you are like me with no neck then no matter what you try, the fit is going to be off as the helmet isn't going to seat properly.

So I can look for something that has a small or even no neck roll or modify one by trimming.

I suppose everyone knew this already but something new to me after all this time. :D

Guest Popeye

I've been 40 years riding & that's news to me.

My way has always been to keep trying different brands/models/sizes until one feels right.

and i DO have a chin.

I'm not sure about that. Different helmets fit me differently - all with the same neck.

While it is certainly more expensive, check out an Aria helmet. If you have a good dealer that carries Aria, they can fit you. If your forehead is tight in a standard HJC helmet, try the Profile line of Aria. It fits my egg shaped head very well. Aria provides custom pad sizes for the head, cheaks, and chin to customize your fit. You pay for it, that's for sure.

A Profile helmet (it is a full face - not modular) is about $450 to $500.

As an alternative, take a ball peen hammer and knock back the styrofoam where it hits your forehead. A nice smooth river rock works well too. This is how I got my HJC to fit. I can't afford an Aria either.

RR

Guest Vermincelli

I looked on ebay for a neck but I couldn't find one red enough for me. :rotf:

Arai and Shoei are all a no go (even their XXLs don't fit overall). I did find a dealer up in Reno though that just got in an HJC Symax 2 in XXL that I am going to drive up to test fit it. Guy wants $290 for it though so I would just go try it on and buy it for $190 online.

Sadly the one modular I tried on that DID fit was a Z1R. I have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on that one though but it may end up being the one I snag.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ah well...whatcha gonna do?

Hey, you list a Honda CM400A...I bought one of those for my g/f way back in 1982..it was green and had a winsheild and black plastic saddlebags ( we bought it used)...man that was a great little bike...comfy and smooth and SO easy to ride. The only automatic I ever owned.

I was riding a Suzuki GS750E and we rode all over the place together...I miss those simpler days..that Honda was a blast riding around town, and the speed limit back then was 55, so it did OK on the highway too...

Ah memories.

Guest Vermincelli
I need to use a XXXL helmet from HJC to fit my melon. Most places do not stock that large a helmet. Have you tryed XXXL?

Tried one. but the side to side was way loose.

I have a piece of crap CAN modular now that fits ok but I know the thing will literally split if there's any kind of impact to it now. Scary.

I am going to try that symax2 and also the guy has ZOX Genesis' in stock that he says may fit. So I think I'll call in sick tomorrow and head up :D

Arai, Nolan and Shoei are all a no go (even their XXLs don't fit overall). I did find a dealer up in Reno though that just got in an HJC Symax 2 in XXL that I am going to drive up to test fit it. Guy wants $290 for it though so I would just go try it on and buy it for $190 online.

Sadly the one modular I tried on that DID fit was a Z1R. I have been hesitant about pulling the trigger on that one though but it may end up being the one I snag.

If you are hesitant because that is a cheaper helmet, you need to look at this article from Motorcyclist Mag. They found that the cheaper helmets, and especially the Z1R, are safer than a lot of the big name brands. I also heard that this report cost them a bunch of advertising from companies like Shoei and Arai! I ride with a Z1R 3/4 helmet and really like it. I think it cost me $39 or $49.

86er beat me to the punch. I was going to ask you "what is wrong with a Z1R??" I have one and to me it's a good helmet. And as 86er pointed out it is rated right up there with the more expensive helmets. Most of the time I wear a 3/4 Shoi RJ Air. I would like to get a full face/flip up but haven't really looked lately. My Z1R is a half helmet I wear around town. I'm on my 2nd RJAir because it's the most comfortable helmet for me when I'm on the road.

Beat the foam lining with a hammer or rock? Whoa!

That foam is what saves your noggin, and if you MUST create some room inside the helmet (speakers etc) then use a knife or similar and shave off as little as possible, leaving the rest to work as it was designed. Hitting it with a rock or hammer will compress it much deeper, leaving it useless in an accident.

Maybe a minor difference, but still, to get the same effect, with less damage to the safety system would be my choice.

I have also found that sometimes you DO get what you pay for. Most of the cheaper helmets I have bought have been less comfortable and less durable than the ones from my favorite company, Simpson. Bell is second on my list. I buy more car helmets than bike helmets, but they make both. When talking about your life, the difference between a DOT helmet and a quality SNELL helmet is minimal and worth it to me.

A proper fit is also almost always going to feel too tight at first. If you can move the helmet around on your head much at all, it is too loose. Don't be too quick to buy oversized or to cut down the lining/foam.

I have the Z1R Ace helmet and couldn't be happier with it. I have a HUGE MELLON and it is almost impossible to find a helmet to fit me. Very comfortable helmet for a 3/4 and visibility is amazing. You don't see the sides of the helmet at all, I can't count how many times I have reached up to scratch my nose and hit the face shield, it's optics are that clear.

It blocks as much wind as a full face or modular since the shield goes down below your chin. I wear it year round. Couldn't be happier and only paid $80.00 for it.

Guest KitCarson

I have a new HJC Symax....it was pushing on my forehead also.......I was pestering my wife and she smacked me upside the head.....it has fit well ever since.........:stirthepot::stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl:

I've been 40 years riding & that's news to me.

My way has always been to keep trying different brands/models/sizes until one feels right.

and i DO have a chin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15965&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1204753950

Somehow that doesn't look like a chin.

If you are hesitant because that is a cheaper helmet, you need to look at this article from Motorcyclist Mag. They found that the cheaper helmets, and especially the Z1R, are safer than a lot of the big name brands. I also heard that this report cost them a bunch of advertising from companies like Shoei and Arai! I ride with a Z1R 3/4 helmet and really like it. I think it cost me $39 or $49.

I have to agree. I ride with a full-face Z1R (solid color model of the one in that article), and I love it. I don't remember where I bought it, online somewhere for around $70 I think. I was skeptical at first, because the article mentioned it used an abnormal shape, but when I tried one on it fit like a glove.

I once worked with a bloke who was christened "box head" by one of our sergeants. When we were measured up for our uniforms everything was pretty well off-the-shelf - until it came to the hat. The uniform supply branch had troubles finding a hat big enough to fit him, so the sergeant told him to throw away the hat and wear the box that it came in. Hence "box head".

(Could be worth considering - as long as helmets still come in boxes!):rotf::rotf:

Guest Vermincelli
I once worked with a bloke who was christened "box head" by one of our sergeants. When we were measured up for our uniforms everything was pretty well off-the-shelf - until it came to the hat. The uniform supply branch had troubles finding a hat big enough to fit him, so the sergeant told him to throw away the hat and wear the box that it came in. Hence "box head".

(Could be worth considering - as long as helmets still come in boxes!):rotf::rotf:

I am beginning to think that's an option. Slap on some DOT stickers, a SHOEI across the front and away I go.

I have to agree. I ride with a full-face Z1R (solid color model of the one in that article), and I love it. I don't remember where I bought it, online somewhere for around $70 I think. I was skeptical at first, because the article mentioned it used an abnormal shape, but when I tried one on it fit like a glove.

So what you're saying is that you are abnormal?

Guess I'm in the same boat too. Z1R and Zeus are the only helmets that fit me comfortably. I have tried AF, Shoei, and just about every other maker out there without much luck.

Guest Vermincelli

Rolling up to Reno tomorrow and hit all the shops to do some serious helmet fitting and I'm putting the Z1R in there too.

One way or another I'm coming home with a new lid :D

My wife and I went out last year to find new lids. Went to four local dealers and tried on HJCs, mediums. Must of had about 15 different ones on my head at one point, until I finally found one that fit, and then so did she. All told we probably tried on 10 - 15 different HJC mediums, all the same model and only one fit right. What I'm saying is, just because the first one don't fit right, try another and then another. And I wouldn't buy one on line for that reason, unless you have a good ballpeen.

Guest Vermincelli

Spent all day up there trying on 20+ helmets.

Closest one that I found was a Sy-Max XXL and it would take a little ball peen work on the neck roll.

(yep, it's my neck. One of the guys took out the neckroll pad to demonstrate and sure enough, my chin was no longer on the bar and it was up on my forehead and off my glasses)

Only reason I didn't get one or a Sy-Max 2 was no XXL in the 2 and only gloss black in the other one.

Question to those who've had or tried symax and nolan 102s, are they similar in fit? I will have to order something online and since the prices are the same, I would order a 102 if the sizing is the same.

My wife and I went out last year to find new lids. Went to four local dealers and tried on HJCs, mediums. Must of had about 15 different ones on my head at one point, until I finally found one that fit, and then so did she. ........................................................

Man, Carl, I would have loved to see that! Y'all with 15 different helmets on your heads at once! That must have been a very tall stack....or did you just keep putting on bigger and bigger and bigger helmets? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Guest Vermincelli

The search is over. Someone suggested the KBC modular so jammed over to the Harley Davidson dealer who had their HD Stealth model on the shelf in XXL. Fits like a charm.

Apparently though that HD sticker is worth an extra $180 bucks. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: