IGNORED

JIS

dna9656

I've been searching locally for a set of these Sears,Lowes,Home Depot and other hardware stores nobody heard of these. I work on Fanuc robots and is a tool I learned about in a class and Fanuc sells for an ungodly price. I hate ordering things unseen for quality issues but if someone knows of a good brand at afair price please let me know.

I have a set of JIS screwdrivers from McMaster Carr. They were pricey so I put them separate from the other screwdrivers so I'm not needlessly wearing them.

I tend to use my Craftsman impact driver to loosen JIS screws. Turns out the bits are actually JIS, not Phillips. By just grabbing the impact driver I already have it in hand for tough screws.

And yes, a JIS bit will work Phillips fasteners just fine.

Another place to find JIS screw drivers locally is at your local Hobby shop that caters to RC cars and/or RC helicopters. Most of the screws that go into plastic are JIS. Modelers are just as anal if not more so than bikers are when it comes to the right tool.

The screwdrivers from AMES are what we have used at work for over 25 years. They have been the best hands down for all of that time. Unfortunately, AMES went out of business a while back. I understand they were made in Germany so you might be able to find the manufacturer that way.

I ordered a set of #1, #2, & #3 and it was the best purchase I made for working on the bike. The screws coming so much easier without damage to the heads. I would recommend a set of these in every tool box.

Rick F.

valuable tool yes....

But $20 apiece valuable????

Its a screwdriver for Pete's sake!!!

One stripped out screw head can eat up that $20 real quick. Not to mention all of the screw heads that did not quite strip but now just look ugly.

I got mine at the local Hobby shop for around $15 for the set, I have yet to wear one out.

I always thought that the screws on bikes were made of a softer metal. After all what did the MFR. care? HE wasn't going to take it apart. Like the way car makers build cars; they got every special tool made and can GET them made so when the MFR'S mechanics tell the MFR'S engineers all is workable they don't have guys that make a living doing this in mind.

I don't like parts fouled up at all much less from using the wrong tool. You don't use a pipe wrench or a vise grip on nuts and bolts (well not till you have rounded them off using the wrong tool) you don't use the wrong size or type driver in screws if you do the screw head is likely to get fouled. I learned the hard way about Phillips, Reed & Prince, and other so called "Cross point" style screws. I hated the cross point style when I was younger because I never had one that fit! I knew guys that loved them; "Twice the gripping power of slotted style!" "Baloney" I thought; until I got a SET of screwdrivers that had #s 1,2,3,4 Phillips drivers. WOW! what a difference! I haven't yet mastered identifying them but I'm trying.

Better to have the right tool, it keeps the parts re-usable and helps to keep our hobby a pleasure instead of a nuisance. The wrong tool leads to busted knuckles too.

We should get the proper tool to do a proper job.

I just want some JIS bits to use in my bit driver, impact driver, 1/4" ratchets etc. I don't see the advantage in having a whole screwdriver (more$) than a bit...anyone seen any JIS bits?

So if you are a professional mechanic you can write the cost off because this is a nessesary business expense so you get a kind of discount through your tax bill.