IGNORED

wheelchair bound, but not with a Ural around!

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

I had a very interesting weekend on the Ural in Amarillo. Had some time to get reaquainted with my sister, Kim, whom I have not seen in years, and went on a benefit run with a lady who rode in my sidecar last spring. Only problem is, now she is in a wheelchair and misses riding and 'wind therapy'.

This lady, Tammie, was riding as a passenger on a new CVO HD Roadking with her boyfriend last summer and they were involved in a very serious crash involving two motorcycles, high speed, and a steel guardrail.

Her boyfriend was killed nearly instantly when his right leg was ripped off and his arms were mangled, and he bled out within 15 seconds of the wreck. The other rider lived for about an hour, the ambulance arrived 15 minutes too late. It was a remote area. Tammie was thrown about 30 feet from the pavement and layed in an ant bed and cactus needles for that hour with two broken legs...The Airlife chopper only had one survivor to take to the trauma center/ER.

Tammie.

In the 8 long months since her crash, she has been in a wheelchair with various pieces of halos and hardware supporting her legs. Now, one of her legs is doing ok, the other is nearly useless.

Friday, we ran into each other at a local watering hole, and got to talking. I mentioned a poker run that was happening that Sunday and she said that would be fun! Lets see if this Ural can help put her in the wind again!

I drove to her apartment Sunday morning...she can lift herself up on the one good leg, so she was able to transition from the chair, into the sidecar. I folded up the wheechair and with a pad under it, bungeed it on the rack. Off we went!

She was smiling ALL DAY LONG! The weather was glorius, about 65 to 75 degrees all afternoon.

This was her first decent ride on a motorcycle in 8 months and although she could sit on a Harley with friends, they really couldnt go very far since there would be no way to bring the wheelchair along on those kinds of motorcycles.

I was honored to be able to take this lady to all the stops on the run, and have her enjoy the world she has missed for so long.

Hopefully this picture says it all... (Tammie seated in the sidecar, my sister Kim sitting on the bike and leaning over a bit, and the wheelchair bungeed to the rack on the back of the hack):

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=58288&t=1

All said, a good day was had by all. And the Ural made alot of it possible for both myself and Tammie.

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis

I did a copy and paste.. the pic shows up according to my browser but let me try again...

The wheelchair is on the rack, above the spare tire, folded up....hard to see but its there.

• 1 month later...