IGNORED

clock on RSV loses memory...sometimes

The dash clock on my 2004 RSV loses it's memory about every 4th or 5th time I start it up. Fuses are all good and I have, more than once, cleaned and greased them and their sockets. All other electronics are fine, such as trip meters & radio stations. Does the clock have a capacitor or some power storage of it's own? The clock keeps accurate time once set and as I mentioned works most of the time IF I have it in clock mode when I park the bike. Any ideas?

Winston66,

Western Australia.

Sounds like a positive 12 volt supply problem to me, a bad positive supply connection on the clock circuit could have the effect of not supplying enough voltage to the clock when cranking the motor over and it is possible that the clock would then drop out momentarily whilst the battery voltage is depleted by the heavy draw for the starter.

This could also be a sign that your battery is loosing some of its capacity and may be starting to fail.

I suggest that you monitor the battery terminal voltage whilst cranking the motor and if it drops below 10 volts whilst under load then make sure that it is charged up properly and be prepared to get a replacement.

Best of luck,

Cheers, winston66

Yup.... it is the battery on its way out the door..... and go ahead if need too...... ask how I knew the day before I went on my vacation ride last summer

:mo money: before I left home.... then I had to get a ferry off this rock :mo money::mo money::mo money: then there was the "cheap" Canadian fuel :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::Venture:

OK I will stop now.

Thanks, everyone. A new battery is on my shooping list. Checking my records shows this one to be over 3 years old.....how time flys! You members have been so helpful I have decided to join and become a member.I only have 68,000 on this RSV midnight and really like it. I've had boo-koo bikes since 1959 and this is the best one yet.Thanks again......

Before buying a new battery, check your cable connection at the battery. Mine was doing that last year and it turned out that the cable had come loose at the battery terminal. That will have the same effect as the battery slowly going South. And it doesn't cost anything to check! Such a deal!!

Andy

• 1 month later...

Yes, on the Ventures, on the newer models like my 07 press and hold the select button for several seconds and it will bring up the clock, I think on th eolder models you may have to press both the select and reset.

To set the clock once you are in that mode , press and hold both select and reset for a few seconds until the display flashes, then press the reset until that segment reads what you want, press select and the other segment flashes, press the reset utoon untill that segment reads what you want then press select abd you are done.

Easy

My 02 midnight has a clock. Bought it used 3 or so years ago from a nearby Yamaha dealer. They swore it didn't have a clock. I discovered it in the manual or by accident I don't actually remember.

Bob Evinger

Marshall, Il 2002 midnight

Yes, on the Ventures, on the newer models like my 07 press and hold the select button for several seconds and it will bring up the clock, I think on th eolder models you may have to press both the select and reset.

To set the clock once you are in that mode , press and hold both select and reset for a few seconds until the display flashes, then press the reset until that segment reads what you want, press select and the other segment flashes, press the reset utoon untill that segment reads what you want then press select abd you are done.

Easy

They're all the same. Press and hold "select" till the clock comes up.

Andy

I noticed that the engine kicks back during starting sometimes and overloads the starter, which draws too much power and that kills the clock. It mostly happens when I stall the engine with bad clutching, and then hurry to restart it. It does this even with a good battery, but never on a cold start- yet!