IGNORED

Tire Mileage Question

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies (any?)!

New member but long time lurker. Great site with loads of good information. I bought a 2009 RSTD from a dealer in Wisconsin in late 2011 and had it shipped to Houston. Have modded the bike some to include: upgraded ignition, redline moved to 7500 rpm, AIS disable, Nasty Boy pipes, carbs recalibrated, K&N Filters and a Mustang seat set. I also cut the stock windshield down 4" to see over it.

The bike has a little over 6000 miles on the bike so far and am questioning how much life the rear tire has left. Thinking of Dunlop Elite 3's for both ends when the rear is gone.

Anyone have a guess how much life is left for the rear tire?

Guest tx2sturgis

You’re likely to get answers all over the place.

It also depends on your tolerance for poor handling, poor traction in the rain, and whether you are taking a 2000 trip in the next few weeks.

It looks like the wear bars are untouched, but I never let mine wear down to that point. Some riders do.

I think your probably good for another 1000 miles or so...maybe more. But as the tires 'square off'...the handling gets lousy. Then also the thinner tread is less able to tolerate small items such as nails and brads, road debris, and such.

I'd say if your just going to be riding around town for the next couple of months, you will probably be ok, but if you plan on taking a trip of 500 miles or more, at high speeds, on the highways, I'd be swapping in a new E3 soon.

Some riders might tell you its good till the cords are showing....others will swap it out now.

It's very subjective.

Comes down to this: It's YOUR life riding on the tire. Make the decision you are comfortable with.

:happy34:

As general rule the OEM tires last 8 to 10K

Michelien, and Avon, several other popular replacements, average about 12 to 15K

The Cheaper Dunlops ( as used on most harley's ) run about 13K

The Dunlop E-3's run on average 18 to 22K depending on loading and driveing methods. ( Cost a bit more, but worth the extra money !!! )

I have gotten 20K out of 3 of them, and #4 is now at 13K on my 08 RSTD, and looks like it will go another 5 to 6 K easy ! I ride SOLO,

Also, to consider the caseing on an E-3 is 1/2 inch thick, Its Dunlops design for GoldWings, heavier bikes. I have had absolutely NO Issues with 4 of these rear tires !

Ken,

Different approach,,,,

You're from TX,, so you are going to ride all year.

You have done a bunch of mods,, so you are willing to spend money to improve your ride.

SO,, treat yourself, go ahead and replace the OEM tires with what you want,,,, now or soon. It will be an improvement that you will feel in the first mile!!!!

As you got the bike used, it will be a nice "ride" improvement that you have not felt on that bike, and will probably put a smile on your face real quick.

More than once, I have "donated" my half used tires to someone who needs them but didn't have the $.

Brand? E3 is good. Avon Venoms are good. I really like the Michelin Commander II, but they do not have stock front. SO,, I have E3 front & Commander II rear on two bikes.

Happy New Year,

Mike G.

On the original tire from Yamaha I got 6K, replaced it on a trip with the same tire and again got 6 K.

Switched to Michelin Commander II, I have 12 K so far and it still looks good.

Buy good tires it is your a$$ you will save. And there is my :2cents:

Bubber

Ken,

Different approach,,,,

You're from TX,, so you are going to ride all year.

You have done a bunch of mods,, so you are willing to spend money to improve your ride.

SO,, treat yourself, go ahead and replace the OEM tires with what you want,,,, now or soon. It will be an improvement that you will feel in the first mile!!!!

As you got the bike used, it will be a nice "ride" improvement that you have not felt on that bike, and will probably put a smile on your face real quick.

More than once, I have "donated" my half used tires to someone who needs them but didn't have the $.

Brand? E3 is good. Avon Venoms are good. I really like the Michelin Commander II, but they do not have stock front. SO,, I have E3 front & Commander II rear on two bikes.

Happy New Year,

Mike G.

I think your right on going ahead with the replacement now, will do within the next 1000 miles for sure. I plan on doing the labor myself as far as the removal and install of the wheels so I need to clear a spot in the garage for it to sit for a week out of the way. Really wanted to do the V-Max gear set as while I have it apart as well........ Guess I need to get busy. BTW, I bought the bike new in 2011 (Oct.) off E-bay. Still was not impressed with the stock tires when new.

I think your right on going ahead with the replacement now, will do within the next 1000 miles for sure. I plan on doing the labor myself as far as the removal and install of the wheels so I need to clear a spot in the garage for it to sit for a week out of the way. Really wanted to do the V-Max gear set as while I have it apart as well........ Guess I need to get busy. BTW, I bought the bike new in 2011 (Oct.) off E-bay. Still was not impressed with the stock tires when new.

If the OEM's are Brimstones,,, anything will ride better.

Twice I have bought used bikes with Bridgestones, a Road Star and a Strat.

The Strat would not turn in the mountains, scary. Put new tires on (Avon Cobras), headed back to the mountains. Geeze,,, could do what you dare.

Nice deal finding a new left over RSTD. Would almost consider same if I saw a Midnight. But my 06 Midnight only has 96k miles on it. Might be twice that if I didn't keep two bikes.

Get a heavy cruising tire.

This is from a spreadsheet I put together. Hope it helps, some tire types have changed by the manufacture. I went with the 80H tires as I ride two-up and need the extra weight carrying abilities.

Tire Front Rating/Load Rear Rating/Load

Avon Venom 150/80-HB16 71/H 150/90-HB15 80H

Dunlop Elite 3 150/80-16 71/H MV85B15 77H

Michelin Commander 150/80-16 71/H 150/90-15 74H

Metzeler ME 880 150/80-16 71/H 150/90 B-15 80H

Speed rating H=130 mph

Load 71 = 761 lbs

Load 74 = 827 lbs

Load 77 = 908 lbs

Load 80 = 992 lbs

A good guide on motorcycle tires by the MSF

Hope this helps.

Get a heavy cruising tire.

This is from a spreadsheet I put together. Hope it helps, some tire types have changed by the manufacture. I went with the 80H tires as I ride two-up and need the extra weight carrying abilities.

Tire Front Rating/Load Rear Rating/Load

Avon Venom 150/80-HB16 71/H 150/90-HB15 80H

Dunlop Elite 3 150/80-16 71/H MV85B15 77H

Michelin Commander 150/80-16 71/H 150/90-15 74H

Metzeler ME 880 150/80-16 71/H 150/90 B-15 80H

Speed rating H=130 mph

Load 71 = 761 lbs

Load 74 = 827 lbs

Load 77 = 908 lbs

Load 80 = 992 lbs

A good guide on motorcycle tires by the MSF

Hope this helps.

The local dealer only carries Metzeler's and they are pricey at about $400 for both (tires only. Wondering if any one here runs them? I see Dunlop Elite 3's are very popular so I was thinking I would order a set.

Hello Ken: My RSTD had Metler 880's on it when I got it. I did not have any issues with the Metzlers, but others have complianed about "Chunking" with the Metzlers. I feel $400 each is a bit high. A new set of Dunlap 404's lasted me one season, 8000 miles. So the next time I went with my current E3's. I think I paid $175 for the back tire and $150 for the front.

So much knowledge with the Houston Texas crew. Patrolman46 and I traveled 1100 miles last April to attend our first maintenance day at Kregerdoodles in Waller TX. We met a lot of nice members and observed a lot of different maintence items including Tire replacements. I wish we had that amount of organized members and knowledge here out west. I encourage you to attend Kreg's spring event or Squidley's fall Maintenance day or both.:)

E 3's seem to be the choice now. I have them on my 1st Gen and so far great. There are several places to order from. I don't have the info right noe (brain dead) but I'm sure someone will chip in with it. If not I have it stuck away somewhere.

"Dennis Kirk" is one place for online tires. The prices seem reasonable.

Hello Ken: My RSTD had Metler 880's on it when I got it. I did not have any issues with the Metzlers, but others have complianed about "Chunking" with the Metzlers. I feel $400 each is a bit high. A new set of Dunlap 404's lasted me one season, 8000 miles. So the next time I went with my current E3's. I think I paid $175 for the back tire and $150 for the front.

So much knowledge with the Houston Texas crew. Patrolman46 and I traveled 1100 miles last April to attend our first maintenance day at Kregerdoodles in Waller TX. We met a lot of nice members and observed a lot of different maintence items including Tire replacements. I wish we had that amount of organized members and knowledge here out west. I encourage you to attend Kreg's spring event or Squidley's fall Maintenance day or both.:)

I'll plan on it if I can work into my schedule (kinda far from my house to Waller though, must be 20 miles). :rotf:

Look's like the Dunlop E-3's are the best bang for the buck.

Could always try the darkside!!

Right, I don't know anyone that is, kinda spooks me!

Noticed you have pre-regimental scroll as your avitar. I was in first Batt. (HAAF) mid 83-early 85. The unit was in regimental conversion while I was there. I still have the scroll (wooden plaque, old style) I took off the Commo building when the new one was put up. Was finishing up RIP when Grenada (Urgent Fury) went down, didn't see any action.

Been out a year when Grenada went down! Everyone I had trained everyone I trained with went, but not me! Always thought that really sucked till I just heard you being in RIP during that. But I did make the Aggie game last night at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta!!! WHOOOOP!!!

Hey gotta go! Whe can kick tires, tell war stories and lies another day! Looking forward to it!

RAM my 09 RSV came with E-3s. Got about 12.5K out of them. I was heading on a long trip and didnt want to chance it, plus the date codes were from 09 so @ that time they were 3yr+ old. I went to the Michelin CommanderII. I was OK witht the front being a tad taller and narrower. E-3's are a good choice also. I normaly buy mine from Motorcycle Superstore. They will do a price match and shipping on stuff over like $89 is free. Also Some of the guys have been pleased with Jake Wilson. I can tell you from when I changed mine it definatly pay to compare and shop. I also run the balance beads type compound in my tires. I also change my own and it saves me from having to take them to a dealer somewhere and balance them. So far I have over 16K on the Michelins and they still look good. Aip pressure is the key it seems on milaging out tires on these things.

E3's are the way to go. I have been very impressed with both sets I've put on my bike. I have found the JakeWilson.com is the best place to get them. The service is great and if you do have a problem they will correct it no questions asked. Check the Date Codes when you get the new tires wherever you get them.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a firm believer in Metzeler. I got 29000 on my last set. But then again it all depends on your riding style and maintaining proper air pressure in my opinion. I am currently running a set of Michelan that I got for a song from a friend. Like the feel, so far. Looking forward to seeing how long they last.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Ordered E 3's off the Dennis Kirk site. Free shipping. Will do the wheel removal myself and take them in for mounting and balancing. Probably will do the V-Max gear change as well. New plugs and Yamaha synthetic and filter on the workbench.

Elite 3 MV85HB-15 Blackwall Tire - 407945

Part #: 542891

$156.98

Front Elite 3 MT90HB-16 Blackwall Tire - 407990

Part #: 542887

$115.98

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Local Honda Dealer is charging me $42 per wheel to mount and balance with new valve stems. Tires and mounting =

Rear $156.98 + $42 = $198.98

Front $115.98 + $42 = $157.98

Total with $10 bulk UPS charge = $366.98 vs $560 from the local Yamaha dealer. The Yamaha quote included Metzeler tires, mount balance and labor to R&I.