IGNORED

1st Gen trivia: All/some/none had "reserve"

cowpuc

The year is 1983, you left the dealership on your new Yamaha Venture, got a little second gear wheelie as you left the place (young and stupid) - put a big smile on your face cause you KNEW it was BYE BYE time for your buddies wing.. Later, as you watched this buddy disappear in your right mirror you felt the horrible feeling of a bike running out of gas :(

You pull over, do a little digging for a fuel petcock,,, ahhhh,, saved by grace there it is,,, now,, the big question,,, does your 1983 1st Genny have an actual "reserve" petcock like ALL bikes should have??? :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Ahhhhh,,, so we got a yes, a no and an explanation of why they didnt BUT we still dont have a real answer for this one... I mean,, come on you guys, after all,, these are OLD bikes and there has to be someone out there that has collected a stock pile of these bikes that has run across the answer to this little trivia.. Bets still on at two :stirthepot::stirthepot:

I think the reserve was added midway through the 83 production run. I know the early 84's had reserve petcock. I had one of those last year.

Easiest way to know if the bike has a reserve petcock is to look at side cover. The covers that had reserve feature have a 'notch' for easier access to petcock.

1st picture is of Tweety in early years, side cover is not notched.

2nd picture of yellow bike, which is not Tweety, has notched cover.

Gary

There is no reserve on my 83 Vin 101 no lever either just a square head with a slot. I even ordered a replacement to get the leaver didn't happen, the only thing I did get was the screen. it's a pain to turn it off to change the filter i have to use a wrench.

Gary

my royal has a reserve. notch for key to turn it. pass foot rest covers it so good luck using it. its a 83. cant remember notch in side cover. after company leaves will have to look.

Indeed!! My first Venny was exactly that, 83 Royale and it had a reserve tap.. Next was an 83 Standard - no reserve tap.. All three next bikes were standards and none had the reserve tap (includes the one we are riding now).. All makes me think that Yamaha actually considered the reserve petcock assembly part of the Royale package...