IGNORED

Battery question

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey James,

The 18L, 19L, 20L denotes the physical size of the battery. Your First Gen. scoot takes the 18L. The Second gen. bikes take the 20L. Because the electrical demand is larger on the First Gen. bikes, it uses a larger battery. Not to say that a 20L battery wouldn't start your bike, but there would not be much "reserve" power for times like a "hot start" with the two brush starter you currently have on your bike. Also the output of the stock stator on the First Gens. is relatively low, so you will need all of the reserve battery power you can get. Because the price of lead/acid batteries has risen dramatically lately, the AGM battery is an even better deal now. More cranking amps, longer battery life, and zero maintenance. By the way, good luck with your projects on your MKII VR! :thumbsup2:

Earl

I just purchased this one for my '83 4 days ago

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D8K58C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Deka Sports Power ETX-18L: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tHis56eCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tHis56eCL[/ame]

I have one in my '86 and love it!

Good Deal Squidley. Don't remember what Earl charges but they do have all the advantages that were listed. Cured my hot starts. And just starts better. I was going thru Cabella's last month and found a AGM on the discount rack for 51 bucks!!! I have the bigger cables so I'm probally looking at having to install that 4-brush on the shelf beside that extra battery. But you can ask Freebird, I don't have many extra parts.:duck:

Hey James,

The 18L, 19L, 20L denotes the physical size of the battery. Your First Gen. scoot takes the 18L. The Second gen. bikes take the 20L. Because the electrical demand is larger on the First Gen. bikes, it uses a larger battery. Not to say that a 20L battery wouldn't start your bike, but there would not be much "reserve" power for times like a "hot start" with the two brush starter you currently have on your bike. Also the output of the stock stator on the First Gens. is relatively low, so you will need all of the reserve battery power you can get. Because the price of lead/acid batteries has risen dramatically lately, the AGM battery is an even better deal now. More cranking amps, longer battery life, and zero maintenance. By the way, good luck with your projects on your MKII VR! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks, My local O'Rileys has an AGM battery for $94.00. not sure of the brand but i'll try it.......This site (it's folks) just keep giving and giving.......

Good Deal Squidley. Don't remember what Earl charges but they do have all the advantages that were listed. Cured my hot starts. And just starts better. I was going thru Cabella's last month and found a AGM on the discount rack for 51 bucks!!! I have the bigger cables so I'm probally looking at having to install that 4-brush on the shelf beside that extra battery. But you can ask Freebird, I don't have many extra parts.:duck:

My Deka battery just came in today, and I installed it. One thing I am certain of, the starter makes all the difference in the world. I have a 2nd gen starter on the '86 with the upgrade wires and it spins it around REALLY fast hot or cold. If you can find a 2nd gen starter on ebay it's a direct swap, fit right in.

My Deka battery just came in today, and I installed it. One thing I am certain of, the starter makes all the difference in the world. I have a 2nd gen starter on the '86 with the upgrade wires and it spins it around REALLY fast hot or cold. If you can find a 2nd gen starter on ebay it's a direct swap, fit right in.

The one you linked to above has the battery posts flipped for use in a 1st gen I think.

I believe the one that is needed is a Deka 18, not the 18L

:confused24:

Been wrong one other time though. Hate when that happens.

Gary

Thanks, My local O'Rileys has an AGM battery for $94.00. not sure of the brand but i'll try it.......This site (it's folks) just keep giving and giving.......

Before you buy one at O'rileys, be sure its NOT Made in China !!

I bought one for the CX-500, AGM type, Only lasted about 10MO.

Get the U.S. made DEKA,

So the recommended starter for my 1st get is a starter from a a '97 XVZ 1300 CORRECT?

I can't say for sure for the early Royal Stars, but I positively know that any starter from the '99 to present RSV will work. I have a starter that came off a '99 RSV on my bike....

:2cents:

So the recommended starter for my 1st get is a starter from a a '97 XVZ 1300 CORRECT?

Looks like 96 and on Royal Stars, any 2nd gen Venture. Also VMaxs from 94 on will have the 4 brush starter you want.

Key is to look at parts fiche and see if the brush set is p/n 3AJ-80801-00-00, this is the 4 brush starter brush set.

Attached is a picture of part fiche for the 96 Royal Star.

Link to web site is:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1996/V-MAX%20-%20VMX1200H/STARTING%20MOTOR/parts.html

Gary

I can't say for sure for the early Royal Stars, but I positively know that any starter from the '99 to present RSV will work. I have a starter that came off a '99 RSV on my bike....

:2cents:

Squidley,

I refer you to thread below !!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

I would think a fine Naval NCO such as yourself would do this.

:stickpoke:

Gary

Now I know this a little off subject but I can't find it anywhere else. Is there a way to determine if the starter is a 2 brush or a 4 brush without the obvious method of removing it? Part number, a marking of some sort, or just saying 4 or 2. Not having a garage to disassemble in, I would rather not take it apart in a campground, only to discover i can't do the job. We live full time in a motorhome. The only "garage" is the rack on the rear of the motorhome. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

The thread has me confused, (something that's getting easier to do as I go through life)

Maybe I'm not being clear.

I have a 1985 and a 1985 1st gen Venture Royale.

I'm interested in upgrading the starters for more reliability and better starter performance.

I gather starters from later bikes can be used OR the starter I have can be upgraded.

I'm not sure.

So what is the upgrade that can be made to my starter(s) ?

What starters will fit that are already a better (incorporate the upgrade) starter as an upgraded starter?

Edited by dna9656
missing info

Another issue for me anyway is confusion between Royal Star, Venture, Venture Royale, Royale Star Venture.

All seem to be discussed everywhere on the site.

Do Royal Star bikes have much in common with The Venture/ Venture Royale/ Royal Star Venture Bikes?

I'm trying to learn the differences.

DNA

1983 to 1992 Venture/Venture Royale 2 brush starter

1996 to 2002 Royal Star all models 4 brush starter

1999 to 2013 Royal Star Venture 4 brush starter

2005 to 2009 Royal Star Tour Deluxe 4 brush starter

All the above use the 1200/1300 v4 motor with some variations in the internals and carbs and transmission.

Hope this helps on the confusion.