IGNORED

Gun season for deer started yesterday

Hummingbird

I went to my local butcher shop to get a strip loin, didn't have any idea that gun season was upon us.

They had 3 guys inside butchering and one outside prepping. It was 4PM and they were still coming in. I counted 123 deer on the ground - haven't a clue how many had already been taken inside.

:95:

yeah, I know

I couldn't shoot one on a bet but our county is nearly over-run with them. We have an enormous amount of car/deer encounters on an annual basis. The sad part is our county population is only about 30,000, that's a lot less than the nearest city in Stark county

I understand, Hummingbird....just saddens me to see these beautiful creatures killed...:(

So what happens to all the meat? Is it all consumed or wasted? Would be nice if the meat was distributed among the poor and hungry amongst us.:confused24:

I brake real hard if a squirrel crosses the road in front of me....and look back in the rear view mirror hoping to see it sprint away. Just cant get myself to take a life....even the spiders...if i see one in the house, i grab it and with a tissue and throw it outside. Wasn't like that in my younger days. My dad was a professional hunter in Africa in the 40's and 50's and he just about has shot every type of animal you can think of. He bought me a little air rifle when i was about 10 or 12 and i took so many birds lives for which i now regret.:bang head:

I think what has softened me up is owning a little ****zu, that i have lived with for about 13 yrs now. Love the rascal..:178:

Sorry for my rant....sometimes i get carried away.:backinmyday:

:beer:

I don't hunt with a rifle any more.....haven't for over 10 years.

I still go up to the cabin in Northern PA with the same guys I've been hunting with for nearly 40 years now.

Not many deer left up there. The Game Commission "managed" them nearly out of existence.

In any case, here's a pic of the one I would've had if I'd been willing to shoot.

I watched him from about 250 yards out, and he came within 60 yards, offering a standing, broadside 60 yard shot. (Couldn't miss)

I enjoyed my "hunt" thoroughly, and am still part of the gang.

This pic shows him as he's walking away, but shows the horns pretty well.

:cool10:

I thought cleaning and preparing your game for the table yourself was all part of the hunting experience. These things teach character and the value of life. Now I'm not downing anyone who has a deer processed that knows how to do it. But I would be willing to bet that out of that many deer some young person missed out. There are programs for hunters to feed the hungry and they have provided a lot of nutrition for those in need. Better for that meat to warm someones belly than to rot on the side of the road. Not sure of the temps. there but down here half of that meat would be spoiled before 3 guys could take care of it.

Well.....I still hunt!!!! Crossbow during bow season, muzzle loader during gun season. :whistling: I dress out my own deer and so do my boys!!!:backinmyday:

We are over run by deer and as much as I understand the non hunters feelings and view of them being to "purdy" to shoot. The reality is if we do not hunt and consume them they will multiply to the point that they will die of starvation due to over grazing there food supply.:yikes:

So it is better to have a balanced population then a starving diseased population of deer. :no-no-no: Oh yea nice bunch of deer there!!!:group cheers:

I have nothing against hunting and would do it myself if my knees allowed it. Many years ago I had my one hunting experience. Four of us went out spread out in line. I came around an outcrop and there was a deer, about 50 feet away. Can't miss. It looked at me then came right up to me. No way could I shoot it. If it came down to survival that deer would be dead. I was chopping firewood one day with my radio blasting good old rock and roll. I turned around and darn near tripped over a big 4 point buck that was lying in the grass about 5 feet behind me. In Canada a 4 point is one that has 4 points on each side. I believe in the US that would be an 8 point?

So....Ground Hugger, going by your argument....if aliens came on earth human hunting, its fair game, eh?

After all, there is fear of humans overpopulating, isn't there? And fear of shortage of food is a real threat in the future, don't you think so? :confused24::stirthepot:

:rudolf::group cheers:

Hey, fact is wars, conflict, natural catastrophes and disease have always kept the human population in check it has been a normal method of controlling our numbers. It is a scientific fact that due to our improved medical practices, being heather and improved longevity along with fewer large scale conflicts has caused a problem the world has reached a point where we will soon be unable to support our population. And I fear the next global conflict is going to be over food not oil.

Due to us being a civilized race we will not nor cannot come up with a rational method to deal with this problem. We can not just eliminate people to solve the problem. So there will be wide spread famine.Then a great global conflict and those that survive will live. And with all the screaming about genetically altering food to feed the masses it is inevitable that this will happen.

And your alien scenario just could happen if they feel its the only way to reduce the population to a manageable number of humans. Of course the all out war that would result if they did declare an open season on us. And that would soon reduce our population to manageable numbers. But then I would hope that perhaps they would just move our surplus population to another planet.

Of course we are unable to do the same with our deer as they are thick as fleas on a dogs back and there's no place left to move them to. Oh and the huge numbers of deer are a result of farmers growing more foods that feed us people. :backinmyday: So we will shoot'em gut'em and eat'em!!! :group cheers: And if you want to pet them that's alright with me, to each his own!!!:whistling:

All of the deer lying there were to be processed by the butcher shop and as well, all of them HAD to be there to be checked in by the game warden. The hunters that intend to process their own never took them off their truck, just had them checked and left. The hunters have to buy a tag prior to hunting and affix it to their kill and check it in at one of many stations in the county.

I do agree that the herd needs to be thinned and I don't hold ill feeling to the hunter, I just don't have any desire to do it myself.

Somebody already said it - it's better to cull than to watch them die of starvation or get killed on the highway.

i went hunting last year with a venture bullet, got one 2! i hope everybody fills their tags this year! i don't want to hav ta use a venture bullet again, they are pretty xpensive! May not survive the next encounter! guy from firedept got the last one, so it didn't go to waste. i think they are neat to watch 2, but hope i dont have to hit one with the bike again!!!!:2133:

Got 1 with a bow, and one today with my rifle. My son got one also last month. We process our deer ourselves. I want to be sure my sons not only know how to hunt, but how to properly prepare them. We waste almost nothing. What isn't cut up for steak, roast and stew is ground and we make summer and breakfast sausage.

For those who are so against hunting deer... I can only assume you are vegetarians to which I respect your decision but not my cup of tea. If you think eating a big mac is more humane than eating venison... I suggest you visit a beef farm sometime..

Our local TWRA agent was telling us last year that TN is concerned about the rapid deer population growth. Youth hunting licenses have been on decline for many years and fewer hunters has led to over population is many areas.

In South Dakota, you can harvest your deer and donate it to help feed the needy. I think you have to pay the processing fee though. We dress out our deer that we harvest at our neighbors, then cut them up and freeze them until we can all get together and process them over a weekend. That way there is alot of help, good food, and commeraderie. Plus you know that you are getting your own meat. Doesnt get any better than that, its better than the actual hunt. Great time getting together. Although I couldnt work in a butcher shop, I can do what needs to be done when the processing comes around. And its great that this is being passed down to my kids. They look forward to it as much as I do. Another thing we can do together.