IGNORED

I'm Broke down

wes0778

Guest tx2sturgis
at Loves Truck stop in Batesville, MS. Anyone close that has a trailer? My charging system has quit working and the battery is completely dead. :(

Sorry to hear this...maybe if you put the location in the thread title it will bring the most helpful replies...

Keep us posted.

See if you can get a jump from someone to get it running.

Pull the headlight and driving fuses to save power.

You can use the donor car to put some charge into your battery.

Beat feet toward home.:fingers-crossed-emo

Have someone meet you part way to recharge as required.

150 miles is a long way on a battery.

See if you can get a jump from someone to get it running.

Pull the headlight and driving fuses to save power.

You can use the donor car to put some charge into your battery.

Beat feet toward home.:fingers-crossed-emo

Have someone meet you part way to recharge as required.

150 miles is a long way on a battery.

Sho' is dark out there on the superslab with no headlight :stirthepot:

Guest tx2sturgis
Sho' is dark out there on the superslab with no headlight :stirthepot:

He left out the part where you hold a little LED flashlight over the windshield.

:buttkick:

Have you checked the " Main " fuse's ????? might be blown.

Have you checked for " loose " bolts on the battery posts ???

Have you checked for " loose " nuts on the Solinoid posts ???

Go into a auto parts store. buy a volt meter, and disconnect the battery cables, and check the voltage level of the battery, If Low, buy a new battery. install it and go !!!

( or pull out the battery and have the guy in the auto parts store check it )

Battery being dead, does not proove that the charging system is bad.

Thanks Folks!!! I'm home, after a long two days!

My angel of mercy Dropped what she was doing and drove from Jackson to Batesville to pick me up last night and swapped vehicles with me. I reserved a U-haul M/C trailer for this morning but discovered that it is only 48" wide but the Voyager kit is 56" wide. :(

My across the street neighbors have a GW trike so his trailer is plenty wide. He INSISTED that I take it. So, The borrowed GMC Envoy, the borrowed trailer and I set out for Batesville this morning. Ran through several rain showers on the way but it was not raining when I got to the bike. Went in to "pause for the cause" and you guessed it, when I came back out it was :depressed:! Got the Frogg Toggs out to try to stay kinda dry. Hooked the jumper cables to the bike from the Envoy and let the bike battery charge for about 15 minutes. Bike cranked right up and ran fine so I could load it. Tied it down (did I mention :depressed: ) and headed for home. Largely uneventful trip back, other than :depressed: all the way. Home safe, bike is unloaded and the trailer and Envoy both returned to their rightful owners! Now off to bed to wait for the alarm to go off at 4:45 so I can continue my retirement's part time job... :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Edited by wes0778
Darn I cna't spell

Have you checked the " Main " fuse's ????? might be blown.

Have you checked for " loose " bolts on the battery posts ???

Have you checked for " loose " nuts on the Solinoid posts ???

Go into a auto parts store. buy a volt meter, and disconnect the battery cables, and check the voltage level of the battery, If Low, buy a new battery. install it and go !!!

( or pull out the battery and have the guy in the auto parts store check it )

Battery being dead, does not proove that the charging system is bad.

And some where there has got to be a terminal (plug) where the stator wires plug into the wire harness, check that terminal - I have had em with so much resistance in them that they actually melt the connectore.. You should also be able to unplug that terminal and do an ohm check across the connectors coming from the stator - if its a three phase (and I cant imagine it not being) there will probably be 3 wires at that terminal that are the same color - seems like the older models were white wires and 3 to 7 ohms checking across each wire 2 at a time.. Basically your looking for somewhere close to the same reading no matter which 2 leads you check across.. No reading means you have an "open" or broken wire, real high reading is a short..

Another check would be the voltage regulator,, cant remember right off hand how to check it but its doable, I know sometimes when they go they actually melt the bakelite right off the back of them..

Glad you got it home!!

Puc

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Good news and BAD news...

I did all the checks in Jeff's T/S procedure and all checks out :)

The good news is I found a slightly corroded/burnt connection for the black wire in the plug for the rectifier/regulator. Polished the pin and the socket and now the bike is charging the battery again!!! :cool10:

The bad news is that it seems to be OVER charging. The battery voltage with the engine off is 12.8. Crank the bike and have 15.2 volts at idle and 16.8 at high RPM, so NOW WHAT??? :confused24:

Ok, Good news and BAD news...

I did all the checks in Jeff's T/S procedure and all checks out :)

The good news is I found a slightly corroded/burnt connection for the black wire in the plug for the rectifier/regulator. Polished the pin and the socket and now the bike is charging the battery again!!! :cool10:

The bad news is that it seems to be OVER charging. The battery voltage with the engine off is 12.8. Crank the bike and have 15.2 volts at idle and 16.8 at high RPM, so NOW WHAT??? :confused24:

Sounds like the regulator/rectifier is shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the new rectifier/regulator from Partshark, only to find the failed one must have cooked the battery. So with a new battery too the charging system seems to be working properly now. :fingers-crossed-emo

This brings up a thought though. Since the regulator has to dissipate the access power not used, could the fact that I've replaced some of the lights with LEDs, could there be more power "not used" than the regulator can dissipate? Or is it that it was time for the 14YO regulator to give up?:confused24: