IGNORED

Homade Headset

Winddancer

Hi..

I am working on building a homemade headset, one that uses 2 3.5mm plugs, and can be swapped out cheaply, but I can't get it to work, and all my logical knowledge says it should, so I am asking for some help to see if anyone can see if I am doing something wrong...

I have the 5 pin din, and 2 female stereo 3.5mm phone jack.

I have read the pin out chart which says audio is on pins 1(L)-4®-2(G) for the MALE end of the plug..

the 3 conductor stereo plug is wired with (G) base ® middle (L) tip for sound..

and will be adding (G) base (+5v) middle (Mic) tip (+5v will be run on a separate wire thru a voltage regulator to power mic)

I have the sound wired and when I connected it to the bike, I get nothing, sound still goes thru speakers.. tried both front and back connection..

last time I was in the fairing all cables were connected in there too..

this is driving me nuts since it should just work as is..

any one have a clue???

what am I missing??:confused24:

thanks..

Edited by Winddancer

On the Venture , don't you have to select HS on the controller head to make it swap over to the headseats? I do not think it automatically recognizes that a head set is plugged in, because I have a set and I do not use the earphones , just the mic and listen to the CB thru the speakers, it never goes to HS mode when I plug it in, always stays on speakers unless I change it.

On the Venture , don't you have to select HS on the controller head to make it swap over to the headseats? I do not think it automatically recognizes that a head set is plugged in, because I have a set and I do not use the earphones , just the mic and listen to the CB thru the speakers, it never goes to HS mode when I plug it in, always stays on speakers unless I change it.

Right, if you can hear the audio over the speakers then the intercom is not active.

The intercom will work with the sound thru the speakers, but to get the sound in the headsets you do have to switch it in the controller. Hit the "select" button once, and the display should show HS (headset) or SP (speakers). The up or down arrow will toggle between the two.

The intercom has its own volume control, so you may have to set that up before the intercom will work. That's into the "select" button a few more presses, then set the "IC vol" to suit you.

Good luck, Larry

Let us know how much you got in that thing and how hard to do.

I will... so far I am into this project for a whole whopping $12.00 ..hahahha..

and the sound part works well...I was getting ready to wire up the mike , but my son dropped by with an issue with his car and brought the kids so I needed to shut down the soldier gun..

Have not looked at schematic in awhile. but if power is available off the 5 pin and your using a condensor mic, couldnt you get your power off there vs a stand alone (battery) power? I have been looking at building a headset also for my shorty. I built a splice in 5 pin connector and have run a seperate 3.5mm cable up for sound with the std 5pin. I plug in ear buds and it helps me actually hear the music especillay with the shorty helmet. They just seem to want a bunch of money for a shorty helmet set up that I just need the 5 pin plug (which I now know where to get) and a mic.

I don't see where any voltage is supplied on the 5 pin din..

I maybe wrong, but if the bike is setup to use a dynamic mic, they don't need power to

work, so I'm thinking no...

I wear a shorty also, and this is the type of headset I am using, cost me $6.00 shipped..

these are the ones I am testing with right now, and if all works, I have a nicer set in mind that has an adjustable back band..but these feel and sound good as they are..

http://images.getprice.com.au/products/BimgLogitech%20PC%20Headset%20120.jpg

Me too.

I have stereo BT headphones that have a mic for making calls. This means they have an BT audio input channel that is converted to analog audio and an BT output channel for analog spoken voice. One would think it could be connected to a 5 pin DIN male and plugged in to intercom system in place of a headset. The microphone channel would go to the intercom audio and the speakers would go to the intercom microphone input. Attenuating circuitry would likely be required for the speaker level output to mic input on both channels. Then would a BT headset interface to it correctly? When you spoke into your BT headset your voice would be converted to BT by the headset and sent to the re-purposed or DIN headset. The BT would be converted by the DIN headset into analog signal on (speaker out-->mic in)to be broadcast by CB. Analog signal produced by radio or CB would be converted to BT by the DIN headset and sent to the helmet headset which would convert it back to analog music or talk.

Would Sena or Scala interface/communicate with the DIN headset?

I thought about the buletooth idea when I got my bike.

BUT, it would be a rear PITA on trips with charging and battery life, so what we have makes much more sense.

With my Edsets, I made that Mic RCA adapter so, I have the actual unit in my UTOPIA Backrest Pocket, ONE wire comes up and plugs into the Mic, And ONE wire comes up for the ear buds. I actually used the passenger headset outlet my whole last trip so that I would even avoid wires up front.

OH, and when I wear My Shoei Full Face I can USe the EDSETS with the Ear Buds AND have my Bluetooth BLUEAUNT Interphone On, and listen to Music, CB Talk on the Phone, give commands to the GPS and Talk to my Passenger with the Blueaunt, A truck driver on the CB and another bike with the Blueaunt ALL at the same time. on just Two small wires! (The Blueaunt is wireless, 10 Hr Battery life but when used alone real use is about 6 HRS.) Thats some funny stuff, Should I add that I am dialing on the Radio, playing with my MP3, Punching up screens on the GPS, Comparing Google Maps on the Note 2 to the Garmin, Looking up deals on Hotels, AND switching out Cassettes!

Edited by IronMike

:worthless:

I thought about the buletooth idea when I got my bike.

BUT, it would be a rear PITA on trips with charging and battery life, so what we have makes much more sense.

With my Edsets, I made that Mic RCA adapter so, I have the actual unit in my UTOPIA Backrest Pocket, ONE wire comes up and plugs into the Mic, And ONE wire comes up for the ear buds. I actually used the passenger headset outlet my whole last trip so that I would even avoid wires up front.

OH, and when I wear My Shoei Full Face I can USe the EDSETS with the Ear Buds AND have my Bluetooth BLUEAUNT Interphone On, and listen to Music, CB Talk on the Phone, give commands to the GPS and Talk to my Passenger with the Blueaunt, A truck driver on the CB and another bike with the Blueaunt ALL at the same time. on just Two small wires! (The Blueaunt is wireless, 10 Hr Battery life but when used alone real use is about 6 HRS.) Thats some funny stuff, Should I add that I am dialing on the Radio, playing with my MP3, Punching up screens on the GPS, Comparing Google Maps on the Note 2 to the Garmin, Looking up deals on Hotels, AND switching out Cassettes!

:worthless: