IGNORED

Homade Headset

Winddancer

Well I ordered some parts for a winter project on this subject. I ordered a mic for a lap top that plugs into a 3.5mm jack and I ordered a 5 pin connector. I'll try to remember to take some pics and post when I get it done or as I go along. Let you all know how it works if it does. LOL

• 5 weeks later...

Parts arrived/ 5 pin connector and the PC mic. I ordered on like this. http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l180/pict/121102298146_1.jpgUsing the drawing I have for the 5 pin hook up I just pished in wires to the pins on the bike side and couldnt get anything. Is the mic plug the same as the earphone plug in the diagrham? Closest to plug is common (mic shield) then should be able to just connect the 2 other bands together in plug in rite? I am pretty sure I had the IC on, volume up but could hear nothing over the ear buds I had plugged in.

11/21/13 4pm Just confirmed the IC was up and I was on headset mode. I even thought possibility of maybe bad mic even though it is new. So I had another PC mic around and tried it. Same results Naada.

Edited by djh3

Yes headsets work fine. Matter of fact I added a cable from up front under the faring that I run a 3.5mm for ear buds back to normal headset connection. Everything works great. Just trying to figure out this mic deal. I may be barking up the wrong tree or something here trying to make something.

Yes headsets work fine. Matter of fact I added a cable from up front under the faring that I run a 3.5mm for ear buds back to normal headset connection. Everything works great. Just trying to figure out this mic deal. I may be barking up the wrong tree or something here trying to make something.

Is the mic you want to use a dynamic or condenser(electret) mic?

• 2 months later...

So, at the risk of opening up a dead thread... I'm wondering how this all worked out ... not that I understood a lot of it! From what I did grasp you are trying to use regular mini plug earbuds or speaker(s) and another mini plug to a microphone and put these two mini plugs through an adapter that connects it into the standard sound / intercom system so there are affordable options...?? Is that correct?

If so, thats what I'm looking for info on! Did anyone ever get this to work and produce a How-to? I might be willing to donate to the cause if that would help move this along. I'm not understanding any of the technical stuff, but I am hoping to get some guidance.

Thanks

I made the wife a single side headset adapter to use in our sidecar, with no helmet. She does not like to hear music so i wired this to capture the right channel only, when intercom is active it feeds both channels equally so I can have my music on the left and intercom on both, she only gets intercom. Over complicated but it works

Any way I used a standard 5 pin Din connector and wired a stereo type plug to it, capturing only the right output/ground, and mic input/ground. She uses a single side headset, I wear a helmet with standard setup. If you use a standard stereo headset you would wire the left also.

pic below is of the headset