IGNORED

Saddle Sore 1000 started

Freebird

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left oberlin at 2:30 this morning. Somewhere just inside Georgia now. 640 miles so far. Planning to get somewhere into Florida later this afternoon and something over the 1,000 miles. Starting to get into some rain though.

Good luck Don. Make sure to check your gas receipts for location, date, and time. If the pay-at-the-pump receipt does not have this info, go inside to get it from the attendant.

RR

Thanks Bob. I googled it and was reading them. I've decided to take the Dragons Tail out of the route.

The route I was thinking of taking was

Montgomery, AL

Memphis, TN

Knoxville, TN

Lexington, KY

Louisville, KY

Sharonville, OH (parent's house)

Good luck Freebird on your 1,000.

Thanks Bob. I googled it and was reading them. I've decided to take the Dragons Tail out of the route.

The route I was thinking of taking was

Montgomery, AL

Memphis, TN

Knoxville, TN

Lexington, KY

Louisville, KY

Sharonville, OH (parent's house)

Good luck Freebird on your 1,000.

Think through how you will document this. You will need to get a receipt at each corner. It certainly can be done, but you want to make sure it gets properly credited.

RR

First of all, I will ask that NONE of you ever again do a "no-rain" dance for me. You totally did it wrong. It rained HARD for 200 miles after I last checked in. I mean so hard that the cars had their emergency flashers on so that they wouldn't get rear-ended.

Overall though, the day went well. It was about 50 degrees when I left my house this morning. It was close to 350 miles before it got up to 60. I didn't dress for that and was completely chilled. Once the sun came up, it was nice though and never got much above 80 the entire trip. Light rain off and on and then as I said, HEAVY rain for the last couple hundred miles.

I checked into a hotel in Gainsville, FL around 9:00 pm. That was after about 18 1/2 hours and 1079 miles. I expected to do it a little quicker but traffic in Knoxville and then HEAVY traffic going through Atlanta slowed me down a bit.

Anyway, it is done. Witnesses on both ends and receipts for the entire trip so I should have no problem getting the certificate.

Of course if I do another 425 miles tomorrow by 2:30 pm, I can also get the bunburrner award. Don't know if I really care right this minute though.

I also get to finally color in Florida on my ride map. :)

Had some very good Friends (Dave & Maria Gray and son Cody, and Dan & Jan Sherwood) that left yesturday to go on a week vacation in Florida. We have road many of thousands of miles on bikes together but this trip they were going by van. Tonight they made it, but just inside the Florida line at a Reststop, they ran into our Fearless Leader on his 1000 Mile Butt Ride. Dave was talking to Don, and tried to get ahold of me. Unfortuantly I was picking up the Grandchildren and had left my cell phone in the car.

Anyways, What is the Chances that some northern Michigan Friends would run into Freebird on his ride?

Don, so Glad you made it safe on your ride, and Great Job on Completing the 1000 Mile Iron Butt Ride!!! Later-James

P.S. next time No-Rain Dances by me, nope no way :depressed:

Don,

Glad you made it safely and get to color in your Florida map.

I've considered such long distance endurance rides but personaly won't do them.

Guess it's my personality, but I'm bull headed enough without adding a "must achieve distance". That would be adding fuel to the fire and would end up getting my butt in trouble. LOL...

Just be safe and make wise decisions...:whistling:

Had some very good Friends (Dave & Maria Gray and son Cody, and Dan & Jan Sherwood) that left yesturday to go on a week vacation in Florida. We have road many of thousands of miles on bikes together but this trip they were going by van. Tonight they made it, but just inside the Florida line at a Reststop, they ran into our Fearless Leader on his 1000 Mile Butt Ride. Dave was talking to Don, and tried to get ahold of me. Unfortuantly I was picking up the Grandchildren and had left my cell phone in the car.

Anyways, What is the Chances that some northern Michigan Friends would run into Freebird on his ride?

Don, so Glad you made it safe on your ride, and Great Job on Completing the 1000 Mile Iron Butt Ride!!! Later-James

P.S. next time No-Rain Dances by me, nope no way :depressed:

Yea, what are the odds. I was just inside the FL line when I stopped at the rest stop to decide where to find a hotel for the night. At that point, I was 10 miles short of my 1000 miles. Was talking to those two guys and mentioned that I had a Venture at home. He told me that a good friend of his had a Venture and used to go to some guys house in Ohio for a get together every year. :) Yes, he tried to call you while we were talking.