IGNORED

What did I do?

While acclerating hard in 1st gear shifted at about 6500rpm. Instead a normal clean shift, nothing except a grinding noise. Tried shifting to third, same thing. After coasting to a stop, same grinding noise and no engagement in all gears, except nuetral. Any ideas as to the damage and feasibility of repairs would be appriciated. With 90000 miles on the bike it might be time to start looking on ebay again.

I wouldn't hazard to guess, but it doesn't sound good. The motor will start and run though? Unless something in the clutch system went, I can't imagine you scattering all the gears in the transmission all at once, but there is a 1st time. Drain the oil and see if there is a lot of metal shavings that come out. If there is, I would probably start to look for another engine. If thats the case, and you want to install another engine in your bike, I have an '85 parts bike with a complete engine in it.

Driveshaft stripped gears, i.e. coupling gear at final drive.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

You beat me Pete. I was going to ask if he has ever greased his driveshaft. That is what it sounds like to me.

RandyA

I have been thinking about it too and you 2 are probably on track. I have also seen where the shaft broke at the u joint coming out of the case, where the rubber driveshaft boot is.

My u-joint went, but fortunately, held together enough to get home! MamaYama wants BIG money for the "cross" pre-loaded in the yoke. If the yoke isn't torn up you don't need the whole thing, if it is you can probably find someone here with a spare. You can match the u-joint for less than $25, but it is a little loose. A friend of mine has a lathe so we widened the groove and put in two e-clips. That was over 60k miles ago and it's still pulling strong.

:7_6_3[1]:

Oh, be carefull if you pull the cap off the cross.....those little roller bearing can be a ***** to find! I'm just guessing, of course. :whistling:

A little more info.

Engine still runs. Sounds normal in neutral. Pulled Clutch and every thing seems ok. Grinding noise if placed in any gear. If the drive shaft u joint, and or splines went wouldn't you only get the sympton when releaseing the clutch in gear?

Appriciate the help.

Engine still runs. Sounds normal in neutral. Pulled Clutch and every thing seems ok. Grinding noise if placed in any gear. If the drive shaft u joint, and or splines went wouldn't you only get the symptom when releasing the clutch in gear?

It grinds if you have the clutch pulled and in a gear? If thats the case, it sounds more internal to me and something that you are probably going to have to break into the engine and check out. I would open the clutch cover 1st and look at the basket and clutch pack....

:2cents:

I would start by draining the oil and looking for metal. If it is internal there will be metal in the oil.

You can also try to spin the rear wheel by hand. both in neutral and in gear, and in gear with clutch pulled, this may help localize where the noise is coming from.

A little more info.

Engine still runs. Sounds normal in neutral. Pulled Clutch and every thing seems ok. Grinding noise if placed in any gear. If the drive shaft u joint, and or splines went wouldn't you only get the sympton when releaseing the clutch in gear?

Appriciate the help.

Not necessarily. It would depend on how good your clutch is releasing and when these engines are cold, they tend to pull a little in gear with the clutch pulled in. Put the bike on the center stand and put it in gear with the engine off and rock the wheel. You can also push the rubber sleeve back where the engine meets the swing arm and see if the drive shaft is turning when you rotate the wheel in gear. Another thing you can do is take the cover off the middle gear and see if it is rotating when you put it in gear.

RandyA

• 4 weeks later...

This happend 2 weeks before our annual "Quilt Shop Hop" My wifes solution was a new bike. So looked at Craigs list and purchased a 83 Venture with 40000 miles on it. We've put 1500 miles on it in the last 2 weeks. Great short term fix. With all the riding not much time to work on broken bike, but still inten

to fix problem bike. Took out clutch completely. Gears and shift retainer seem ok. In one direction felt clicking, in other direction didn't move. Put bike on center stand to remove rear tire to take out drive shaft. Clicking feel that was their with bike on side stand went away. When spining driven shaft or rear wheel all is smooth. Pulled drive shaft. All splines look good. Trying to get a good look at u joint, but even with rubber boot pulled way back cannot see real well. But, all clips are there, no evidence of movement on any of the bearings and spins freely when drive shaft or transmission is spun.

Although clutch seemed to be working prior to disasembly, once clutch pulled, clutch lever would not move. pushed on the actuating rod and lossened clutch slave and moved fine after that. Wish I had looked closer at the clutch assembly movement befor i romoved the clutch from the bike. Going to replace slave assembly and reassemble bike and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.