IGNORED

Differential and Shaft

Just changed the wheel and tire and put it back together like I have 7 or 8 times before except this time I pulled the shaft and differential off to grease the splines and put it back together and when I tested it the wheel locked right up. I'm in the process of taking it all back apart but does anyone know what I might have done wrong.

Seems like the shaft is not in the Ujoint properly.

Had this happen to me when I thought I had the shaft in the Ujoint.

:whistling:

I felt like it was in there but your probably right. I just pulled it all apart and the shaft didn't come out with the pumpkin. It seems wedged in there. Don't want to break or bend anything to get it out. Any ideas.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone that responded. I tried wiggling and jiggling and nothing was working. I tried to look inside the boot and moving it to no avail. So as a last resort I wrapped some towels around the gear that goes into the pumpkin and tried turning it the opposite way and it worked. I was able to get it out with no damage.

It's not easy to line that sucker up and get it into the yoke or at least it wasn't for me. I could tell for sure when it went in though.

The whole time I was wondering why I ever did it but I wont have to do it again for a while.:)

Why are you taking the shaft out anyway. I have put over 10 rear tires on and after the first one never did anything but slide the tire and wheel out the bottom. Makes it quick and easy and don't have to worry about the shaft!

Why are you taking the shaft out anyway. I have put over 10 rear tires on and after the first one never did anything but slide the tire and wheel out the bottom. Makes it quick and easy and don't have to worry about the shaft!

The shaft needs to come out periodically to lube the splines going into the U-joint. Use Honda Moly60.

For those who haven't done this yet, there is a small rubber plug on the swingarm over the U-joint. Remove this plug and use a coat hanger or something similar to center the U-joint for insertion of the drive shaft. Be patient, it will go in.

Make sure the drive shaft is in the U-joint and not next to it. Most of us have learned this the hard way.

RR