IGNORED

Has anyone remove their windshield?

homey1

I just picked up an '02 Midnight Venture and the buffeting above 50mph was terrible. I'm used to a small cruiser with no windshield, but needed a bigger bike for my lady to be comfortable on the back. I was considering removing the Venture windshield to see if that helps and I can get the wind in my face again without feeling like I'm going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson! :nanner:

There are several aftermarket windshields that can help. Or you can cut down your windshield. Wouldn't work well to completely remove it since it would leave a large slit at the top of the faring.

Baggershield has received good reviews and offers discounts to VR members. http://www.baggershield.com

Visit the VR Gold Vendor listing for more info.

RR

Welcome to the site. I hope you stick around.

Thanks! I sure hope so too. Just working on setting the 'new' bike up for me and my girl to our liking. We love the look of the bike and comfort of the seats.

Any other suggestions on heat shields for my feet? My left foot almost burned off on the way home from the dealer!

I got the 10.5" baggershield with the 6 inch extension. I am IN LOVE.

The air bobbles around me and the wife, not buffeting - even in strong head and crosswinds.

I have recommened the Baggershield to several others and they love it instantly.

I am 5'11" and wear a full face shield but always leave the shield open.

If is sit totally straight up the frontal air hits the faceshiled and knocks it closed. So the air hits me on the helmet directly between my eyes and the top of my head. - Since it is wider by 2" on either side you lose any wrap around buffet.

search on baggershield on this site - and remember to follow the instructions to take the old shield off - NO shortcuts. Ask if you have questions - we are all here to help - even us newbies that have only owned our RSV's since March.

Welcome to this great forum.

VentureFar...

Well, I took it off and went for a spin.

The results.....awesome!

Just what I wanted; the wind in my hair (on my helmet, actually) and no Tyson knockout punches. I got it up to 75 and it felt great. I normally don't break 55, so this is going to be perfect for us since we most often just cruise along on the two lane roads around 50 mph. And I am pretty psyched about the way it looks too, super clean.

Don't wear flip flops?:confused24:

Welcome to vr !

Haha! Thanks, brother...that is some good advice!

But I will definitely continue to wear flip flops on the shore.

Even my sock was black when I got home!

Welcome HMMM somewhere either here or maybe the Venture forms on delphi someone had a 10" I think clearview for sale at a decent price. I had an old memphis shades phats laying around from a previous bike. I layed my current RSV shield over the top after I figured how short I wanted it. Used a dremmel tool and cut it off. Its OK around town here but I'm looking at a 3500 mile trip and behind trucks etc the shorter one beats me to death. So I put the tall shield back on.

Watch out for " June Bugs " !!! And those other ones, even bigger !!

I got hit in the chest by one, back in 1969, knocked the wind out of me, and I almost crashed !! ( on the San Diego Freeway )

Also know of a guy took a Bee, thru the eyeball on I-80 in Nebraska back around 1973. Imbedded in his brain, dead beside the road.

I wear a face shield , and have a full windshield. On 4 hour ride today, I took a large bug hit on my face shield, just to the right of my right eye. Had to stop and wash off the mess !!

Just a few things to think about :whistling: :whistling: :no-no-no:

If is sit totally straight up the frontal air hits the faceshiled and knocks it closed. So the air hits me on the helmet directly between my eyes and the top of my head. - Since it is wider by 2" on either side you lose any wrap around buffet.

Is this with the extension up?

Thanks!

RevJonG

I bought a couple of 10" dark windshields from Bike Bandit 3 or 4 months ago. They had them on sale for $50 bucks each with free shipping over $100. So I bought two. One for the '07 and one for the '99. Ran 07 at freeway speeds to 70+mph and it worked great...

I just put a 6" dark smoke Slipstreamer on mine Sunday afternoon. Haven't gotten in a lot of riding yet but love it so far, and it looks GOOD! Probably going to cut down my stock windshield a little bit too, just to have for cooler weather. Just be careful when you remove the chrome trim, it's kinda easy to break the tabs. UPDATE: I just added a couple of new pics to my album, one of the new 6" windshield and one of the air cleaner mod I did over the winter. Next project is doing something with them tall antenna's! Thinking about a hidden antenna for the radio in the fairing, and removing the CB antenna completely since I don't use it. It's always something to get your $$'s!!!

Edited by Wrench

Rode 50 miles yesterday without the windshield and enjoyed it. I do wear a full face helmet so that takes care of most bugs. I have had a bug get caught under my sunglasses when I had my shield up, so that was scary. I put it down when I start moving about about 25mph.

I am planning on cutting down the stock shield. After learning where it should be in regards to my height, I believe its too high. I may also try a shorty, say about 3-4" high.