IGNORED

Does anyone know where to get the "Pull Here" rubberbands?

Yes, I decided to replace mine recently and new ones were still available from Yamaha. I also replaced the rubber grommets that hold the side panels in place. Also, to eliminate the chance of loosing the rubber bands, I secured them in place with some small plastic ties.

Still available

41R-2179E-00-00 BAND

Try boats.net

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1993/VENTURE%20ROYALE%20-%20XVZ1300DE/SIDE%20COVER/parts.html

In a crunch you can get large O-rings from a hard ware store and hook it through the flange on the frame them pull it over the tab on the side cover.

Edited by Snaggletooth

Where can we get the Ball Studs we used to replace broken plastic pins?

Good question! I trimmed down some aluminum ball studs that were laying around in a shop drawer. No idea where they came from, but I had enough for my repairs. Now I'm on a lookout for same...just in case! BTW, there are ball studs at the ends of many small gas struts..... might even come close in size and configuration.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

In a crunch you can get large O-rings from a hard ware store and hook it through the flange on the frame them pull it over the tab on the side cover.

Great idea!! I would add a velcro pulltab to the o-ring, and glue the tab material back-to-back leaving either the fuzzy side or the hooky side out for better grip.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Still available

41R-2179E-00-00 BAND

Try boats.net

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1993/VENTURE%20ROYALE%20-%20XVZ1300DE/SIDE%20COVER/parts.html

So the Venture Royale is considered a boat? Just kidding, thanks for expanding my list of possible parts dealers. They beat Partzilla by almost a couple bucks.

So the Venture Royale is considered a boat? Just kidding, thanks for expanding my list of possible parts dealers. They beat Partzilla by almost a couple bucks.

Land Cruiser!!!

yep boats.net has been a reliable source for a long time. Partzillas been catching some flack lately.

I'm wondering what we are using the ball studs for on a Gen 1?

Yep, on the side covers there are two ABS molded studs sticking out that insert into the rubber grommets on the frame to hold them in place. They do get broken off at times.

Used to replace them with a plastic rod and epoxy. New way is drill out the mounting tab and install the ball stud. Must more durable. I found rubber grommets at the hardware store to replace the ones in the frame.

I am missing one of those, but where it is the front cowling would hold the grommet for it and that small plastic "loop" is broken off as well. I suppose I can make a new loop out of some similar plastic and then glue it on with some sort of glue. What do people tend to use for gluing up their plastics, I read a lot about cracked plastics?

• 2 weeks later...
I am missing one of those, but where it is the front cowling would hold the grommet for it and that small plastic "loop" is broken off as well. I suppose I can make a new loop out of some similar plastic and then glue it on with some sort of glue. What do people tend to use for gluing up their plastics, I read a lot about cracked plastics?

I have toooooo much experience fixing plastic on my 86. I use Devcon Plastic Welder, which is a two part epoxy in a self mixing tube. It;s good stuff and used to be about 2 bucks at WallyWorld. They don.t carry it any more but it is available at AutoZone for about $5. I lay fiberglass mesh into it also. I have also heard (and am about to try) ABS ground up and mixed with acetone to repair the plastic. It is essentially new ABS, from what I hear. I've also heard that you can mix it up in a mason jar and keep it molten as long as you keep it sealed when not in use.

Good Luck