IGNORED

vmax diff

have been thinking about a vmax diff for my 99 rsv outfit as you already know top gear is just a bit high .i figure tasmania australia if a bit far to ship for a swap over .so now i have questions

1 are all v-max diffs the same :confused24:

2 do you only have to change the gears [crown wheel and pinion ] i will be using my rsv housing :confused24:

3 are the drive shafts the same or do you swap and use vmax as well. :confused24:

apart from finding answers i think the worst bit will be finding a vmax diff they appear to be as rare as hens teeth

If you have some time to have the bike apart, send your rearend stateside and do the swap out

http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html

As far as I know, it is a direct swap. I dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but the lash has to be set on the gears if you try to change the ring and pinion yourself.

You can also use the rearend out of an FJR, it has the same gear ratio as the Vmax ones.

Hey Brad ? Is there anyway to mount our speedo hardware into an FJR rear end easy ?

Picture is of a 2004 FJR rear end on Tweety.

Boss on casting for speedo is present. Also shock bolt is not drilled on the FJR.

Make sure FJR final comes with the internal spacer, about 3" long. Pain to get if it doesn't come with unit.

Gary

Picture is of a 2004 FJR rear end on Tweety.

Boss on casting for speedo is present. Also shock bolt is not drilled on the FJR.

Make sure FJR final comes with the internal spacer, about 3" long. Pain to get if it doesn't come with unit.

Gary

Is there a pic or exploded view somewhere of this spacer ?

Is there a pic or exploded view somewhere of this spacer ?

Similar to attached picture, but different in flange area. This from an MKI.

In catalog cut from a 2004 FJR, it is the dashed part between 4 & 5.

Gary

thanks for all the info i will now start looking for a vmax or fjr diff .i would do the exchange one at sports max but i think the postage might just become a problem with the bank, but i will email them to check on costs. i have no trouble with changing the gears myself as i do all my own mechanical work :fingers-crossed-emo

Every time I see posts on the V-max rear end,,, I always get interested.

Does anyone ever install and wish they could go back????

Mike G.

and if there is let me know then i can buy the vmax or fjr of you. they are rarer than rockinghorse s#@t in the great southern land :fingers-crossed-emo

I am not sure if spacer is there. Spacers ID is same as OD of axle (almost). That hole looks to be the OD of spacer. I will try to find a picture of it later.

FJR drive shaft is to long for any Venture.

Gary

OK, so the spacer is in this one ? I don't know how you would tell as it looks like it internal

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKpcE3JY(ci49BN-BmEonVQ~~_12.JPG

Thanks Dingy. I am going to get one just wanted to be sure the spacer is there. Is it normally there or something you had to add ? I take it any year FJR will be the same as the vmax gearing ? I wasn't going to use the shaft. They just have that as part of the rear end I guess.

Mike G.

Mike I should have let you ride mine while you were here. You'd see why, IMHO, it is a one way street! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Mike G.

Mike

There was one person a few years ago who posted he did not like the extra torque and was changing back. That is the only post I have ever seen on someone not being completely satisfied with this modification.

MikeWa

Mike G.

I won't go back but if I ever trade Venture's the V- Max gears stay with me. I bought a rear end from a member who had Triked there's and had the gears installed in it. That way I can always swap it back if I trade or sale.

Has anyone done the rms gear exchange? If so does it include pumpkin only or pumpkin and shaft? I have taken my rear wheel off a few times and wondered the level of difficulty? Anyone have instructions on this? Their website states one step beyond a tire

Yes, I have done it as several others here have. If you've pulled your rear wheel off, you have done the hard part. It's very simple. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the pumpkin to the drive shaft tube, remove the one screw that holds the speedo sensor in and then slide it out. The hardest part is stabbing the front of the drive shaft back into the U-joint. That can sometimes take a few minutes. It includes the pumpkin only. You use your own shaft.