IGNORED

Whitewall tires!

Lepapehermann

Anyone out there knows how to clean whitewall tires?

I am having trouble finding stuff that doesn't require a lot of hard work icon8.gif and will properly restore the whitewall on my bike's tires. No matter what I use there is still some yellow marks, along the outside perimeter, that I can't get rid of.

Thanks for your help.

Hermann

Guest Captain Video

Best thing that I found was not so much the cleaning solution (tried many) but the cleaning implement. Try fine steel wool with some type of cleaner. Do not use coarse steel wool as it may make tiny scratches which will look even worse when they get dirty.

I put the bike up on a stand and use SOS pads. Some will say that over time they will damage the white walls, but I don't find it to happen. Bike tires don't last long enough for it to show up. While you're doing this it is also an excellent time to check for tire trouble.

Just about any spray on white wall cleaner will do the trick. Just read the bottle before buying to make sure they are safe for our rims. Put the bike up on jacks and spry with the cleaner. I usually have to let the cleaner sit a minute then I wipe off with a sponge and rinse with a hose. Real easy.

I don't have my whitewalls yet (being shipped as I write) but I have raised white letters on my Excursion.

I've found that that Castol Super Clean is phenomonal on them and tires in general. I don't even have to touch them!

Before cleaning my wheels I liberally spray down the tire with a 50/50 solution. By the time I get around to the fourth tire I'm ready to spray off the first. You can actually see the stuff remove all the brake dust, oil, dirt as you spray it on.

I use a pressure washer to rinse it off. It really is like magic watching the letters go from grey to gleaming white in seconds. A normal hose requires scrubbing first. And no, the pressure washer alone doesn't make them near as clean. ;)

I'm hoping for the same results with my new whitewalls!

The cheaper no-name stuff from Wal-mart works almost as well but requires a bit more product (75/25) and a bit more sit time.

Posted this once before a while back, but some thought I was nuts after reading it...(But hey....I am nuts..ha)

You can use regular spar type BBQ grill cleaner..

Just spray it on, let is soak a minute or two, and wipe it off with water and a sponge...

I use it every time I clean my W-Walls.. :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the good suggestions for cleaning whitewalls tires and I am sure you all recommend working with caution and in a well ventilated area when using those products.

I will try the Castrol stuff first and if it doesn't work I will try the grill cleaning stuff.

The Castrol Super Clean must be really good.... look what the National Institute of Health says: :sick:

Acute Health Effects:From MSDS (Material safety data sheet)

Inhalation: Nasal and respiratory irritation, pneumonitis, and tissue damage.

Eye Contact: Irritation, redness, tearing, pain, conjunctival swelling, burns.

Skin Contact: Irritation, redness, extreme dryness and peeling, scarring.

Ingestion: Can cause severe irritation or burns to digestive tract.

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing skin disorders.

The grill cleaner must be very good too....

Acute Health Effects:From MSDS::stirthepot:

Inhalation: Hazardous in case of inhalation (lung corrosive). Inhalation of the spray mist may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by coughing, choking, or shortness of breath.

Eye Contact: Hazardous in case of eye contact (corrosive).

Ingestion: May be fatal if swallowed. May cause burns to mouth, throat, and stomach.

Skin Contact: Hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeator). Skin contact may produce burns. Harmful if absorbed through the skin.

icon4.gif

icon10.gif

Yep, I was hopeing you werent going to be drinking or bathing in it...

Thanks for the good suggestions for cleaning whitewalls tires and I am sure you all recommend working with caution and in a well ventilated area when using those products.

I will try the Castrol stuff first and if it doesn't work I will try the grill cleaning stuff.

The Castrol Super Clean must be really good.... look what the National Institute of Health says: :sick:

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing skin disorders.

The grill cleaner must be very good too....

Acute Health Effects:From MSDS::stirthepot:

Inhalation: Hazardous in case of inhalation (lung corrosive). Inhalation of the spray mist may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by coughing, choking, or shortness of breath.

Eye Contact: Hazardous in case of eye contact (corrosive).

Ingestion: May be fatal if swallowed. May cause burns to mouth, throat, and stomach.

Skin Contact: Hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeator). Skin contact may produce burns. Harmful if absorbed through the skin.

icon4.gif

icon10.gif

I had a set of Dunlop Cruisermax WWW's on my Road Star and one of them had the yellow discolouring that you're talking about. Nothing I could find would clean that off. I heard of some guys getting free replacements for this problem. I just wore them out and got new ones.

Posted this once before a while back, but some thought I was nuts after reading it...(But hey....I am nuts..ha)

You can use regular spar type BBQ grill cleaner..

Just spray it on, let is soak a minute or two, and wipe it off with water and a sponge...

I use it every time I clean my W-Walls.. :thumbsup2:

Curious did you ever check the ingrediants in the BBQ cleaner can. ? The reason I ask is some of these compunds can actually break down the quality of the rubber.

SO for all please read label before purchasing as it may not be good for Rubber or Aluminum (as Juggler Mentioned).

Brad

Curious did you ever check the ingrediants in the BBQ cleaner can?

The reason I ask is some of these compunds can actually break down the quality of the rubber.

SO for all please read label before purchasing as it may not be good for Rubber or Aluminum (as Juggler Mentioned).

Brad

The type I use doesnt mention anything about breaking rubber down.

I have used it on the last two sets of tires I have had, and never once had a problem with the rubber or any discoloring to the rim..

As I mentioned once before, I would not just spray it all over the tire where it splashes and gets on everything else...

I carefully spray it on a sponge, and then wipe the foam on the side of the tire. Let it sit on it for a minute or two, and then wipe it off with clean water and a sponge.

I never ever use the hose pipe to rinse it off either...dont want it all over the place...

It works good for me..

Yes...that Catrol can be some nasty stuff if you soak in it! Don't treat it like Palmolive! :D But boy does it clean!

I believe there is a lot of lye in it.

I bought some fancy whitewall cleaner at the auto parts store and I don't think it did as good a job as my wifes 409...just my 2 cents.

Maybe she did not scrub hard enough with the Fancy WWW Cleaner you bought for her :rotf:

Sorry could not resist.

Brad

Curious did you ever check the ingrediants in the BBQ cleaner can?

The reason I ask is some of these compunds can actually break down the quality of the rubber.

Brad

The type I use doesnt mention anything about breaking rubber down.

I have used it on the last two sets of tires I have had, and never once had a problem with the rubber or any discoloring to the rim..

As I mentioned once before, I would not just spray it all over the tire where it splashes and gets on everything else...

I carefully spray it on a sponge, and then wipe the foam on the side of the tire. Let it sit on it for a minute or two, and then wipe it off with clean water and a sponge.

I never ever use the hose pipe to rinse it off either...dont want it all over the place...

It works good for me..

Eck , you are officially a Southerner!!! :) Hehehe!!!