IGNORED

Clicking noise from rear end

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Yamaha does not seem to be able to fix it so far.

I have an 06 RSV with 30,000km that has just developed a clicking noise in the rear end. It only occurs when the bike is rolled backwards and only when the components are hot. Yamaha has dismantled the differential (rear end) replaced a suspect bearing, checked all the clearances but can not find anything wrong.

I told them about the drive pin clearance/lubrication issues (discussed on this web site) however they believe the noise is coming from the differential. They are reluctant to replace the differential becauase they have already replaced two correcting another problem. This problem was not evident until the new differential had done over 1,000km.

Has anyone heard of this problem?

Hey Marke,

I hate to hear about your problem with the rear end. I had similiar problems and from 16,000 miles to 28,000 miles I have had 5 rear diffs, a new swingarm and drive shaft. The only thing I can tell you is that yamaha should do whatever it takes to correct the noise no matter how many rear ends it takes. Good luck!

Hey Marke,

I hate to hear about your problem with the rear end. I had similiar problems and from 16,000 miles to 28,000 miles I have had 5 rear diffs, a new swingarm and drive shaft. The only thing I can tell you is that yamaha should do whatever it takes to correct the noise no matter how many rear ends it takes. Good luck!

Hey ediddy

What turned out to be the problem with yours? Rear Diff? Splines? Drive Shaft? Drive Pins? Were they able to tell you?

I don't really know the problem. At 28,000 miles yamaha sent a factory rep to look at my bike. He was puzzeled as to why my bike was eating up rear ends. He replaced the swing arm and every part from the swing arm to the rear including the rear diff and drive shaft. I now have a little over 30,000 miles and the bike is perfect. I am holding my breath hoping I don't have any more rear end problems.

My '07 RSV is doing the same thing when I push it out of the garage to take it for a ride. I am going to have my dealer look at it as soon as I can get away to take it to them. With less than 1k on the scoot, you wouldn't think the splines would be dry, unless they failed to proper lube them @ the factory.

Why is it that the 2nd Gens seem to have this problem, but not the first gens ???

Rear ends on them seem to be the same parts.

Any comments on this??

I had some clicking on my 89 around 20K, but greese, and retorqueing all the bolts, seem to fix it. No problems since then.

My '07 RSV is doing the same thing when I push it out of the garage to take it for a ride. I am going to have my dealer look at it as soon as I can get away to take it to them. With less than 1k on the scoot, you wouldn't think the splines would be dry, unless they failed to proper lube them @ the factory.

I own a 2007 Venture, my bike was doing the same thing (approx 5000kms). I took it into my dealer and their mechanic told me it was not a serious problem and further explained it is due to a lack of "quality" lubricant in the splines. "Yamaha" is aware of this happening with the Ventures. He repacked the rear wheel ( warranty claim ) and I haven't heard that noise since. Hopefully you will have the same result!

U take care,

Freebird is correct. It most likely is "dry clutch hub pins". As others have said, it's a very commom problem with RSV's and RSTD's. My RSV started doing it at about 4k miles. These bikes, for some reason, come from the factory with little or no grease on the clutch hub pins.

Yamaha is aware of the problem and has addressed it in their "Technical Service Bulletin M2005-015". If the dealer doesn't work on a lot of RSV's, they probably are not aware of the problem. They will try to tell you it's a bad wheel bearing (as mine did) and will want to replace it. I'd stay away from mentioning anything about dry "splines", as that will only add to their confusion. It's the "clutch hub pins" and the "spline" both that need re-greasing.

Just refer them to the aforementioned TSB M2005-015 and take the print out referenced by Freebird with you to the dealer. It's a procedure that should be done everytime you have the rear wheel off. It's a very easy fix.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I picked the bike up from Yamaha yesterday and it is now fixed. Clicking noise gone. The drive pins in the rear hub appear not to have been the problem (this time) and my dealer/mechanic was aware of the drive pins potential to create noise.

Initially they replaced the rear wheel bearings as Yamaha has some experience with a problem in this area but this did not stop the noise. Next they replaced the Collar associated with the left hand side wheel bearing. Noise gone.