IGNORED

Ready to wire trailer

wannarsv

I didn't cut it...I did get one of your harnesses. I guess I worded that wrong sorry...but that is normal for me. I guess what I need to know is where do I get the converter from I've looked around some & can't seem to find one. Part #'s would be good. I tried to search for info but couldn't find anything definite. O.K. this is the second edit...What the heck is wrong with me today.....I'm more of a goof-ball than normal.

Thanks Guys, Mel

Edited by wannarsv
add to it

I agree don't cut, now I like a 5 to 4 so I run a 4 flat. My trailer has a high center brake light that I wired up with some diodes and relays but I can plug it into anything else and pull it. What you want is the lights isolated , like the Hopkins 46255, autozone, walmart , farm and fleet. . . should have one that works

I just did mine today too. I used the Hopkins part#48895, from AutoZone, which will work with both LED and incandescent lighting. The way I did mine, I now have a pigtail in the rear for both 4-wire & 5-wire trailers. I like being versatile. Converter was $24.95.

The thing that will mess you up, is the bike harness colors are the same color, but different function.

Bike Harness next to battery...

Black=ground

Yellow=brake...This is where the red wire from the converter ties in.

Blue=tail/running light

Brown= Left Turn

Green=Right Turn

I bought this converter for my HF trailer and it works perfectly. All trailer lights run off separate circuit to protect the bikes wiring. I put a fuse in line with the red wire.

Good company to deal with and quick shipping. P and R Carriages on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Light-Isolated-Power-Supply-Converter-5-to-4-wire-PM32-/290660635436?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43acb9532c&vxp=mtr

Jim

I used the powered Hopkins 46255 converter from Amazon for around 38$. The only one I could find in local auto store (Pep boys) was 50$, none other had it or any other brand (autozone, advance auto, etc). I originally wired up a different converter I had laying around the garage but went with the powered model after I was messing with trailer lights and shorted one out which blew fuse on bike, no more of that. With the powered converter all the lights are also brighter on my HF (I added some additional LED's)

Thanks for this thread.

I have a "new" trailer that is hooked up "different" and my RSV is hard wired for Turn/Run Brake LED, and already wired for trailer. But not good with the new trailer.

(but the trailer works with my car.)

I have Steve K's harness and been emailing with him.

Will likely use the ebay (thanks Jcfolly) converter and do a fresh run from the harness.

Thanks, Mike G.

Mike G:

The converter worked great for me and it was cheap. R and P Carriages shipped right away and were great to work with. Would definitely purchase from them again. They also have some great LED lights ("safety chrome" to me) that are very reasonably priced and are good quality.

Jim

Mike G:

The converter worked great for me and it was cheap. R and P Carriages shipped right away and were great to work with. Would definitely purchase from them again. They also have some great LED lights ("safety chrome" to me) that are very reasonably priced and are good quality.

Jim

Troublemaker........

You had to mention R&P Carriages where I could see it. I had forgotten about them........

I want to make a run down there to get a new axle assembly with 7 inch electric brakes to add to my HF trailer. They seem to have a lot of stuff at good prices. You can never have to many lights.

Tonight (weather permitting) I am adding an 11 LED center brake light to my trailer with a controller circuit board to make the center brake light work correctly.

I bought this converter for my HF trailer and it works perfectly. All trailer lights run off separate circuit to protect the bikes wiring. I put a fuse in line with the red wire.

Good company to deal with and quick shipping. P and R Carriages on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Light-Isolated-Power-Supply-Converter-5-to-4-wire-PM32-/290660635436?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43acb9532c&vxp=mtr

Jim

Jim, Thanks again for that link.

Steve K had suggested an isolator to protect the bike wiring. But, also, my bike is wired for run/turn/brake and was complicating hookup to my new trailer. I got same isolator and, with Steve's harness, all is good.

I did put the isolator under the seat and, basically ran a trailer extension to the tail of the bike. And, yep quick turnaround from their Ebay shop.

Mike

Oh, Pics.

First two are the new trailer (new to me) 2010 Towblazer. (same unit as a model of Escalade, different seller)

I ran up to Jersey to pick it up in April. Have only towed it local but,,,, very nice.

On the rear/bottom is a LED light bar that made me rewire the bike.

Last pic is my Harbor Freight with Sears Cargo shell. I've had it a few years. Was time for an upgrade. Still in good shape. I will probably put it in the classifieds soon.

Mike G.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Mike:

Here is my trailer. I put the plug under the license plate which holds it in place. Just a zip tie to the corner of the plate frame to keep it tucked under when I am not using it. I had about 200 lbs in it for the trip to Don's MD and got 39 MPG @ 65 MPH. Ran most of the distance with the cruise.

Jim