IGNORED

Views on a 89 Venture

Huggy

OK I'm looking at buying a 89 Venture Royale 1300cc bike with 8100 klms on it. The guy is asking $500. this going to be a complete rebuild if I buy it. Is there anything that I should know about this year and model that could pose a problem?

Think the 89's were pretty good. Someone with 1st Gen experience will chime in I'm sure. Very low mileage for a touring bike. $500 you can't go too wrong.

Standard stuff... check for cracks in the plastic, test electrical if you can, check dates on the tires....

Several 1st Gen members in SW Ontario that would be able to offer advice and assistance probably. There is a meet and greet at MarCarl's this Saturday in Brantford that you should attend if possible.

http://venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=328&day=2013-5-25&c=1

For known problems with 1st Gens, read the two threads here - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86

This motor has been around since 1983. Some early issuses were resolved by mid '85. Pretty much the same power plant to current models. The 1200-1300 V4 is a highly reliable and almost bullet proof platform and many running well over 100,000 miles and some over 200,000.

The low miles can be a plus or a curse. Bikes that have not been run for years tend to develop their own problems.

But like you said, you're planning on a complete rebuild of the bike so you have an idea what is ahead.

But for $500.00, I'd snatch in a second if it had not been badly wrecked with a lot damage or just plain neglected to the point of gonna need everything.

But if you're handy with the tool box and the bike has all (or the majority) of the parts it's just a project you will enjoy the results of. It's an outstanding bike to own and ride.

I see you already have couple of older rides so you're ready to do what needs to be done.

Just evaluate what you have have for a starting point.

And then again, you got this bunch.

:2BLUE: Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

You sure that is not a misprint and 81000km? That's 50,000 miles, not 5000 miles. Why would it need a complete rebuild? Are you making a show bike for trophies? The '88 and '89 are reportedly the most reliable of all the 1st gen bikes made.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

The 89s are the best of all. :stirthepot:

Check the plastic for breaks and cracks, check whether the air ride system works (key on acc). Check the cassette deck - can't have a Venture without cassette music.

If the plastic is good, $500 is well spent. Be sure about the mileage and if really that low find out why. Buy a case of Seafoam. Use it in the gas, the carbs direct, even in the crankcase oil. Lots of threads here tell how.

You will probably want new plug wires and plugs. Hopefully the coils are good.

If the air ride shows E4 it can be an easy fix. Mine was.

Have fun. Keep us posted with PICTURES!

It looks like you live in Turkey Point. That is not far from us. In fact we go through there a number of times during the season to do the lakeshore run. I'm in Caledonia and Carl is in Brantford. We both have 1st Gens and have been wrenching on them for quite awhile. even getting pretty good at fixing plastic. So if the bike is not totally trash it is worth getting and making her road worthy. You will absolutely love the bike once you get out on it. They are pretty much bullet proof mechanically so the biggest concern is cosmetics. With that low miles it would be interesting to see.. Don is right.. you should come to Marcarl's Venture Inn this Saturday. Really good time to meet some folks and maybe get a bunch of questions answered in person. Might even find some volunteers to help you...

Thanks for the reply and the input. The bikes still listed for sale. If I can get hold of the seller I'll will be checking to make sure of the millage. It seems low to me also. But I have come across a couple with low millage last year. They where just to far for me to go look at. This ones about two hours away. I'm pretty good with the wrenches my self but never too good that I don't need to ask for help. I have an 83 GMC 3/4 ton pickup that I have done an almost complete rebuild on. Replace all the body except cab hood and box floor. I have/ride at present an 83 Yamaha XJ750K that I resurrected. And also am working on a 73 Suzuki GT750K. I like working on the bikes more than riding. I'm not working due disc, knee and shoulder problems :backinmyday: so working on the bikes keeps me out of trouble!:whistling:

IF, the milage is correct, and the thing has been stored in a garage, and serviced at least now ant then probably a good deal.

But, IF, its been sitting " Out behind the Barn " for the last 15 years, ???? Well, I would be carefull. $500 is really cheap, so, I strongly suspect it has some kind of problems.

But, for that price, and if you want to do the work, maby a good deal,

The '91 is better! Especially the red one! :stirthepot:

I would agree that 91s are better especially the red/burgandy ones, but being that I laid it on the payment for a good 300 ft. There isn't much hope for it, if any.

So I'm going with the other 89s on this thread especially the Burgandy....