IGNORED

Nitrogen filled tires

It's really odd that you mention that..I just today had my truck in the dealer for some needed attention and they had brochures about the use of N2 in tires. I would expect to get the same identical response out of motorcycle tires as truck & car tires. More stable pressure, better fuel mileage (not so much, because bike tire pressures are usually watched closer anyway), being inert you wouldn't get the interior degradation from oxidation (may not be a big benefit with this one either since we generally only get a few thousand miles out of tires anyway); I would guess though that temperature stability would be better with N2. And it might be worth a point or two on the wow-meter in discussions :whistling:. But, seriously, though....cost isn't too bad...I just don't like the idea of running to the dealer when I need some. Then there's the matter of the compressor in the corner of the garage. I need to use it for more than footballs and basketballs............................

I am curious, though; since you use it in your truck tires...what differences have you noticed since you've been using nitrogen?

Personally, I think helium would be much better! lower weight, better flotation, a LOT more fun tailgatin or when ya get a couple of beers under yer belt. Just mash the valve and play donald duck for the girls, till yer head hurts! or ya pass out:whistling:

autopilot

I have wondered what percentage of the air are they able to replace with nitrogen? I am not thinking there is any way to completely evacuate a tire. Maybe I just don't really get it, but I am not seeing enough benefit to justify the cost and inconvenience.

when I had mine done they purged the tires twice and I have not had to put any more in sense this is the second set of tires I have used it in and its great last set I had to put air in every few weeks after installing the Nitrogen I never had to put any in stayed right up till I changed tires and at 8 bucks for both tires and free top offs if needed its worth it to me

OK a lesson on nitrogen. I own a tire business so her is the truth. Dont waste your money. Keep in mind that the air you breath is 78% nitogen. Now take this into mind, unless when they put nitogen in you tires they vaccum out the air that is in it a number of times while hooked up you will never get more than 85 to 90% nitogen in it. They do this in Nascar because it is an inert gas which means it wont expand with the heat. Keeps the setup in the car mor consistant. Now keep in mind the real factor you need to fight is the moisture. Its the water in the air that is more of the problem. You can have just as much air in the nitogen too. Nitrogen will leak just as easy as air so now if you need a little more pressure you now need to go to the dealer to get it or you ruin all the ratios. I own a dealership and I dont use it as it is just a waste of time so I dont use it in my own vehicle. Sure Ill sell if if you believe the hype. Just check you tires regularly.

Ive thought of using it in my bike as it stays more consistant in outside temp changes but unless you can attach the equiptment and suck air out to a negative (you will have volume of outside air in there that must come out) and then install nitrogen to fill and mix with the volume of air left in there and then once again suck out the nitogen and not install again you wont get the 99% nitrogen that you need for it even to be effective. You dont just stick a hose on a tire and expect it to just be nitrogen. All I can say is unless you do the whole procedure its just a scam! Put a good line dryer (to remove the water) and check you tires.

Nitrogen makes the tyres run cooler.

I've also been told that bike tyres need to run as warm as possible to make the compounds sticky for better road handling.

Any thoughts???

What is in the tire has no effect on the temp of a tire. Its the outside temp and the friction on the tire. Proper inflation will keep the tire right no matter what is inside.

OK a lesson on nitrogen. I own a tire business so her is the truth. Dont waste your money. Keep in mind that the air you breath is 78% nitogen. Now take this into mind, unless when they put nitogen in you tires they vaccum out the air that is in it a number of times while hooked up you will never get more than 85 to 90% nitogen in it. They do this in Nascar because it is an inert gas which means it wont expand with the heat. Keeps the setup in the car mor consistant. Now keep in mind the real factor you need to fight is the moisture. Its the water in the air that is more of the problem. You can have just as much air in the nitogen too. Nitrogen will leak just as easy as air so now if you need a little more pressure you now need to go to the dealer to get it or you ruin all the ratios. I own a dealership and I dont use it as it is just a waste of time so I dont use it in my own vehicle. Sure Ill sell if if you believe the hype. Just check you tires regularly.

Ive thought of using it in my bike as it stays more consistant in outside temp changes but unless you can attach the equiptment and suck air out to a negative (you will have volume of outside air in there that must come out) and then install nitrogen to fill and mix with the volume of air left in there and then once again suck out the nitogen and not install again you wont get the 99% nitrogen that you need for it even to be effective. You dont just stick a hose on a tire and expect it to just be nitrogen. All I can say is unless you do the whole procedure its just a scam! Put a good line dryer (to remove the water) and check you tires.

Hear, hear!! All the hype that you hear about nitrogen getting you better gas mileage is just that, propaganda and balderdash. I wouldn't even use it if the tire shop puts it in free with the purchase of tires. They didn't get the stuff free; they're not going to give it away. You pay for it in the price of the tires. Don't fall for this stuff.

:rotf: :rotf:

I use 78.08% Nitrogen in all my tires... it is the extra 0.08% that does the trick!!!!

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

BTW, HERE is what Consumer Reports has to say about it...

After reading their article, I will contune to use a high tech mixture of 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, trace amounts of other gases, and a variable amount (average around 1%) of water vapor in all my tires.