IGNORED

Well...Dropped it yesterday

creole

I know....I know...it's not if but when it happens. I haven't dropped a bike in quite a while and certainly nothing this big. The first time was about 23 years ago when, on a small kaw 450 ltd, the dual stand got snagged in a rather bumpy relatively slow corner and drug us down. The last was about 4 years ago in my yard on wet grass. I went around a vehicle in my driveway on my v-65 magna, through the yard on a slope with wet grass and dumped it in the yard.

This go around was in my driveway with the RSV, wife and two brand new full sodas in the cup holder. I seem to have this nasty habit of allowing the toe of my boot to snag in concrete cracks, then my calf gets wedged under the wife's floorboard. We've noticed this a few times in the past and has almost caused issues. Yesterday's happened so fast I wasn't sure what happened. We were just starting to move and turn left at the same time to head down the driveway. All I knew at the time was it went over and I couldn't stop it. My wife stayed on and out of the way, letting the crash bars do their thing. I tumbled off with a ninja roll, and our cokes dumped all over everything. My sore left ankle this morning, is a pretty good clue, that I did probably snag the toe of my boot on the nearby crack in my driveway and pinned my leg under her floor board. Thus when I made my slight left turn to head down the driveway, expecting to balance with an outstretched left foot, it wasn't where it was expected to be and we went down......

Now, nothing was really damaged but a bit of pride and sheer amazement about how quick it really happens, and that sobering reminder that if this is all that happens.......we're really doing pretty good with this dangerous hobby we love.:bowdown:

To all those who are getting out and dusting off their rides for the nice weather.....Please be careful.......it happens and it happens quick!

Man, Really glad you are ok! So many things could made it worse than you say.

We noticed hundreds maybe thousands of bikes out this weekend. We can hear Route 66 from our place and I think there must have been an international HARDLEY ralley within 10 miles.

Cant help but think like you, people dusting the bikes off for the first time of the season.

Traveled 30 miles of Route 66 yesterday (4 times) and everyone that owns a bike was on the road.

Be safe now and if you make it up this way, give us a shout.

James

:sign yeah that: On blowing the dust off.

I almost dropped mine this morning when my feet slipped on the frost covered grass while I was pushing the bike backwards out of the shed and up the hill.

But OH MAN did it feel good to do the 22 mile ride in to work today even though it was only 31°F. It might even get close to 50 for the ride home.:big-grin-emoticon:

My skills set is rusty as all get out. I see some parking lot time in my very near future.

Even my skills of pushing the bike out of the shed need work.

So, how tough was it to get the RSV back up on two wheels again?

Honestly it wasn't bad at all. used the "but in the seat walking backwards method" and just walked it upright.

Funny thing is....we've been riding on the nice days. We're getting ready for a trip up north in a couple of weeks and have had some pretty good riding days off and on the last couple of months. Just for the life of me didn't see that one coming.

Thought about pulling the video from our security cameras, but really didn't want to see it all over again. :whistling: LOL

Man, Really glad you are ok! So many things could made it worse than you say.

We noticed hundreds maybe thousands of bikes out this weekend. We can hear Route 66 from our place and I think there must have been an international HARDLEY ralley within 10 miles.

Cant help but think like you, people dusting the bikes off for the first time of the season.

Traveled 30 miles of Route 66 yesterday (4 times) and everyone that owns a bike was on the road.

Be safe now and if you make it up this way, give us a shout.

James

I was going to post yesterday wondering the same thing. Woodward is a main thoroughfare and there was, like you say, a pile of bikes going through town. Must be something going on, but who knows where.

OKay, my two cents worth of "Dropped it" stories :whistling:

Two weeks after buying my brand new 2009 Venture I stopped at a five way country intersection that has a SEVERE slope before turning right. As I sat there I swear I've no idea what or how..we simply tipped over to the right and off we go into the grass and gravel. Scuffed the fairing slightly and no other damage except my ego. I bought from Big # 1 in Birmingham (cheapest location I could find) a new fairing outer piece and put it on. That was about $600 and that was the cheapest. I had no idea that Loctite came in several formulas and therefore some of those formulas should NOT be used on plastic types. In my infinite wisdom I loctited the bejeepers outta the fairing replacement. After all who wants their windshield to come flying off at speed/ :Laugh:

Now about 3 months later my sound system control head need work which of course requires separating the fairing. In order to remove the fairing the shop broke every mount point on the new fairing. $600 and a round trip to Big # 1 shot to $%^@. Luckily I still had the old scuffed fairing and used it as a replacement.

I've since had the bike "triked" and I deliberatly kept the scuffed fairing. I call it my "P.A.R" (Pay Attention Reminder) and I've received several queries as to how I managed to scuff a fairing on a trike. :confused:

After we triked the Venture we rode around that road, stopped at that intersection and did not tip over....$15K vindication I guess :thumbsup2:

Creole, this is NOT meant to pick on you, but as a remonder to all riders...the very nano second that the bike "thinks" it wants to be moving forward...PICK UP YOUR FEET...and place them all the way onto the footpegs or floorboards.

I have viewed other riders doing this for 1000 year now (yeah, I feel that old), and it bugs me when I see a rider that drags his feet, uses his feet as outriggers...or slowly moves his feet from the ground to the footpegs/floorboards, as if he/she needed to keep the feet out there in case the bike would fall over, or until they get up to enough speed that they can finally pull those outriggers in.

If any of you old-timers have ever done..slow races...the slow balancing contests to see who can take the longest to get from point A to point B, the you know you can go SLOW, while having your feet up on the footpegs.

Every stop light or stop sign I pull up to I continue to practice the slow balancing of the bike.

And...when I know that it is time to pull in the clutch, engage 1st gear, and release the clutch...my feet are OFF the ground and all the way onto my footpegs in a nano-second. I do not allow my feet to dangle, dawdle, or meandor around by the ground area while I am moving forward, even at .314159 mph.

:backinmyday:

You realize that your little experience cost you $5.00 right?

And I don't mean for the spilt soda either!!!!

I mean the donation of $5.00 we all pay when we drop our bike.

My first year back in the saddle cost me $15!!!!!!

:mo money:

I almost dropped mine yesterday. I was leaving my girlfriend's house to go to work. I was turning around in her driveway. The bike lost some power through the u-turn and it started to go left. I put my left foot down right when the engine grabbed and my foot rolled back under the exhaust pipe. Luckily I straightened it out and my foot quickly came loose. The thing is I rarely put my feet down. I practice slow speed balancing like Miles said. I put my feet down at the last second when coming to a stop and quickly pick them up once the bike starts moving forward.

My lesson learned was wait until the bike warms up more before trying to ride. I was in a hurry to get to work and when I thought I was giving it gas in a tight turn, the engine almost stalled. Doh! 2 minutes more of warmup.

Creole, this is NOT meant to pick on you, but as a remonder to all riders...the very nano second that the bike "thinks" it wants to be moving forward...PICK UP YOUR FEET...and place them all the way onto the footpegs or floorboards.

I have viewed other riders doing this for 1000 year now (yeah, I feel that old), and it bugs me when I see a rider that drags his feet, uses his feet as outriggers...or slowly moves his feet from the ground to the footpegs/floorboards, as if he/she needed to keep the feet out there in case the bike would fall over, or until they get up to enough speed that they can finally pull those outriggers in.

If any of you old-timers have ever done..slow races...the slow balancing contests to see who can take the longest to get from point A to point B, the you know you can go SLOW, while having your feet up on the footpegs.

Every stop light or stop sign I pull up to I continue to practice the slow balancing of the bike.

And...when I know that it is time to pull in the clutch, engage 1st gear, and release the clutch...my feet are OFF the ground and all the way onto my footpegs in a nano-second. I do not allow my feet to dangle, dawdle, or meandor around by the ground area while I am moving forward, even at .314159 mph.

:backinmyday:

I haven't ( yet) dropped my RSV, however the PO did drop it, so perhaps that's out of the bikes system. I also practice at stop lights etc, to balance the bike, and use Miles style to lift feet off immediately. It was reinforced 30x with the ride like a pro class. I speak for myself when I say I am always drop preventive mode X 50, but sooner or later, it'll happen....