IGNORED

GPS question.

Venturous Randy

I know some of you guys can spend the big bucks on a GPS, but I just can not convince myself I want to do that. A couple of years ago I bought a Magellan Roadmate that I got off one of the daily deal sites that was refurbished for about $50. It has worked real good, but now the speaker is not working. I am looking for a replacement or a speaker fix to at least salvage it.

One question I have is I see some advertised with anti-glare screens and wonder if any of you can say as to whether that is effective on a bike. I know that I sometimes have a difficult time seeing the screen on mine when then sun is behind me.

I know that there are motorcycle specific GPS's available, but I am hoping to find something that works ok without the big bucks.

RandyA

Randy

I just bought a Garmin 765T ("user refurbished") loaded with North America 2013 map (that alone costs $80 from Garmin) along with all originally bundled paperwork and accessories on eBay for $79. It appears new and works as new.

The reason I selected the 765T is two fold; the 765T has a 3.5 mm audio out and it accepts SD cards. I inserted a SD card loaded with music and the 765T has MP3 capabilities. The audio out allowed me to plug into a cassette adapter in my OEM cassette player, giving me a MP3 player playing music through the factory audio system. When Garmin Gertie talks to me it overides the music and her voice comes through my headset (or dash speakers).

The 765T is not motorcycle specific, so it needs a baggie or such to be waterproof, but for the price of even a used Zumo (starting at ~$400) I figure it would be fine.

+1 on the 765t Mine has worked great. Just wired in an ed-sets blue tooth harness to be able to use the blutooth function with phone if I want to. Check to see if your roadmate my have an audio out jack. Then like was said you can just plug it into the aux. As far as the anti-glare, there have been a few times it has been really difficult to see screen. But yesterday I was using the GPS in the car and I had simular issues. So I supose it can happen in any usage. The 765 does have an adjustment for screen briteness though. I personaly dont see a need to spend the $$$ for the Mc specific GPS units. Unless you got to have XM or something not offered on the "std" type GPS.

+1 on the 765t Mine has worked great. Just wired in an ed-sets blue tooth harness to be able to use the blutooth function with phone if I want to. Check to see if your roadmate my have an audio out jack. Then like was said you can just plug it into the aux. As far as the anti-glare, there have been a few times it has been really difficult to see screen. But yesterday I was using the GPS in the car and I had simular issues. So I supose it can happen in any usage. The 765 does have an adjustment for screen briteness though. I personaly dont see a need to spend the $$$ for the Mc specific GPS units. Unless you got to have XM or something not offered on the "std" type GPS.

Not to steal Randy's thread but I've been looking for a GPS for the bike. Have a Tom Tom for the car that does fair but can't use it on bike. Old ears can't hear directions over road noise. I found a used 765T with 2010 maps. ( I could update later if I felt the need ) Very good shape. Can I get this one to give directions over my Intercom? What do I need to do this? I can grab this one for very low price so updating maps later would still make it a good deal if I can get her to talk to me thru headphones. I'm not taking eyes off road in a lot of places to try and see screen I can't see that well to begin with.

Randy

I just bought a Garmin 765T ("user refurbished") loaded with North America 2013 map (that alone costs $80 from Garmin) along with all originally bundled paperwork and accessories on eBay for $79. It appears new and works as new.

The reason I selected the 765T is two fold; the 765T has a 3.5 mm audio out and it accepts SD cards. I inserted a SD card loaded with music and the 765T has MP3 capabilities. The audio out allowed me to plug into a cassette adapter in my OEM cassette player, giving me a MP3 player playing music through the factory audio system. When Garmin Gertie talks to me it overides the music and her voice comes through my headset (or dash speakers).

The 765T is not motorcycle specific, so it needs a baggie or such to be waterproof, but for the price of even a used Zumo (starting at ~$400) I figure it would be fine.

SO! IT WAS YOU!!! :whistling:

I was bidding on that one too , Good deal ya got there. Still shopping. I already have one 765T lookin for another. :thumbsup2:

i use the nuvi 760 on the bike and a 750 in the car both have fm transmitters so no need to plug it in. the 760 answers my phone with bluetooth and the 750 does not have bluetooth i just set the radio in the car and bike to fm88.7 and let the sd card play my mp3s .no need to ride around with the tapedeck door open with a wire hanging out if i get caught in the rain i put the gps in my pocket and the music keeps playing i get about 4 to 5 hours out of the gps battery before i need to plug it back in to the power supply

I just installed a mount that holds my iPhone. I then use a small mp3 wire (not in the pic) to connect to the Aux input in the dash. I can listen to music loaded on the phone while using the GPS app. The music will soften when the GPS app speaks. I also have the phone charger connected to the cigarette lighter input on the left side. You can see the charger wire (white) zip tied to the handle bar. [ATTACH]75956[/ATTACH]

Answer to hearing over bike speakers is YES. Switch to aux and plug into the jack by cassette deck. 765t has an SD card and you can record music and personalized routes on it. Playback music thru MP3 player built into the Garmin and directions will over ride it.

On the lifetime maps I dont think they sell a "lifetime map" version for the 765t. Shoot they probably figure the "lifetime" of the unit is done already as it is like 5yr old. Most newer units do not have any external connections for mic and aux output etc. I dont know why maybe they are trying to force us bikers to the $500+ type units.

If you want to build your own routes I suggest TYRE. Its free, works with Google maps and is a heck of alot easier to use than base camp and mapsource.

Not to steal Randy's thread but I've been looking for a GPS for the bike. Have a Tom Tom for the car that does fair but can't use it on bike. Old ears can't hear directions over road noise. I found a used 765T with 2010 maps. ( I could update later if I felt the need ) Very good shape. Can I get this one to give directions over my Intercom? What do I need to do this? I can grab this one for very low price so updating maps later would still make it a good deal if I can get her to talk to me thru headphones. I'm not taking eyes off road in a lot of places to try and see screen I can't see that well to begin with.

Helping you HiJack.

Yes you can, if the GPS has a headphone jack. At least on a 1st gen.

Assuming you're not using the cassette deck you can simply wire the audio out from the GPS to the cable from the cassette deck to the radio unit. Turns out a signal on that wire will cut off the radio and play through the amp just like the CB does.

If you want to be able to use the cassette deck I did a write up several years go on tying directly to the passenger intercom connection. That article should be in the electronics section.

I have the Garmin 765T and instead of paying the 69 bucks for a map update at Best Buys, Garmin had a deal for 89 Bucks to purchase a life time map update for my unit. I get 4 updates a year. That sure seemed like a good deal to me!

I took advantage of that same offer for my 665. I think it was a good deal.

Recently say last 3-5 months ocasionaly when I turn on my GPS as it comes on it has a message about maps not being current and needing and update. I have seen in my area and on e-bay people selling map updates for around $25-35. I'm woundering these must just be "burner" copies or something being Garmin wants almost 3x as much right? Will I really get anything or just a blank SD card? How much have the roads really changed? I know around here they dont even harldy fix the pot holes much less build new ones every year or 2.

Yammer, yes you can, IF you install some kind of interface between the 765T audio out (3.5mm plug) and the First Gen audio. You can utilize a cassette adapter as I did, works great for three seasons now. Or you get the MP3 interface for the First Gen from the Spanish outfit, called VentureAudioLink http://ventureaudiolink.wordpress.com/ or perhaps this: http://edsets.com/edsets_adapters . I have no experience with the edset adapter, so not sure how it works, but another First Gen rider tried it and he said it is OK. Or you can hard wire the MP3 input into the VR audio circuit, perhaps in the way Micarl suggested.

Just make sure whatever GPS you buy has the external speaker option (audio out). Several of the older Garmin had it (external speaker option) but hardly any of the current automobile specific GPS have it anymore. Seemingly, only the EXPENSIVE motorcycle specific Garmin GPS currently have the audio out jack.

On the lifetime maps I dont think they sell a "lifetime map" version for the 765t.

My Garmin 765T package came with Garmin nüMaps Lifetime™, "North America map updates for the life of your Garmin GPS".

However, when I tried to enter the product key (from the enclosed Lifetime Maps card) at http://www.garmin.com/activatenumaps the site told me that the unit was already registered. I have a message pending from the seller requesting that he transfer the registration to me (as some have suggested to try) but so far nothing.

Sorry Randy, I casnnot offer any advice on a GPS, other than the more expensive Garmin ZUMO models. To me, they are worth it. I do get it, why others are buying the lesser expensive models, and making them work. It makes sense. And I say, good for you.

I could update my Zumo 550, but I haven't. I could sell it for more money than what a brand new in the box Garmin Zumo 665 would cost me, and make money on the deal, but I haven't. In fact...I don't even listen to the sound of that lady that is stuck inside the little Garmin unit...always telling me "where to go". :shock3: I have mine muted, so no sound comes through. Personally, I find it to be an annoyance to hear her squeeky voice.

I say, keep the GPS you have, do not listen to the voice of the little lady hiding inside your GPS, and...go ride more miles.:whistling:

:backinmyday:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I couldn't make up my mind and ended up winning two GPS's off ebay. I got a Garmin 1300LMT and a Garmin 40LM. Good thing, because my old Garmin nuvi 260 died on me coming back from Myrtle last week. :usa: