IGNORED

Shipping to Canada advice?

Snaggletooth

I've only dealt with shipping a package Canada one time and learned it can be expensive.

I've got a 20lb package 42" long and looking for the best way to get this thing headed north at a reasonable rate.

From what I've read it still looks like USPS is the most reliable way to ship, but looking at their International shipping web site it come up to $74.80 without adding any insurance fees.

Is there a better way to look into?

I'm open for advice.........

Thanks

Mike

For sure use USPS if possible.

The couriers charge a huge "customs brokerage" fee that could be 1/2 the price of the shipping plus taxes and duty.

Depending on where in Canada you might ship to a US member close to the border and have the person pick it up themselves.

Some of us ship to somebody close to the border and then we Canucks can go pick it up, or it can be delivered,,, good time for eating as well.

That idea has already been suggested to the person interested. Waiting to see how they respond to that.

I've done that before with another member. worked out well.

Mike,

We ship to Canada daily.

You may find that UPS or FedEx to be cheaper on the actual shipping however their fees to clear customs will be more than any shipping savings and the total bill will be higher.

Priority mail is really your only option for a 20 pound package through USPS.

I always ship my products going north of the border using USPS since they go by priority air (or land depending where at from Michigan) and are insured by at least $100-120, extra insurance can be bought. Shipping times are generally 7-10 days but can take longer.

The last lift adapter I sent to BC cost me $75 . Package was 20 lbs, 26" long, 14" wide, and 4" thick so you're not too bad for that long box you're shipping.

Larry

If you know someone that has a corporate UPS or FedEx account it can be cheaper for you, but there will be a large charge on the recevers end when delivered.

Ive bought quite a few things online and USPS is till probably the best way to ship up to us Canucks. ANYTHING shipped via UOS, FedEx or Any courier will have a huge brokerage fee added at delivery, ONLY USPS doesn't add this charge.

Most Canadians live within 90 minutes of the border so maybe find out where the guy is at and see if he could drive to a US members place for a pickup.

Edited by friesman

From the cold side of the border...

I recently ordered two pairs of Kevlar jeans at a very reasonable price through Amazon.com. When they arrived by UPS, I had to pay another $78.00. $54.00 of that was brokerage fees.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That is the last time I am ordering stuff to be delivered to my home from USA. So much for "Free Trade"!

I will find an address close to the border where I can get things shipped, and pop across to pick them up myself (as others have suggested). There are mail services that do that at this end of the 49th parallel, and I am sure elsewhere.

I recently ordered two pairs of Kevlar jeans at a very reasonable price through Amazon.com. When they arrived by UPS, I had to pay another $78.00. $54.00 of that was brokerage fees.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That is the last time I am ordering stuff to be delivered to my home from USA. So much for "Free Trade"!

I will find an address close to the border where I can get things shipped, and pop across to pick them up myself (as others have suggested). There are mail services that do that at this end of the 49th parallel, and I am sure elsewhere.

I add a note to any vendor to ship only by USPS or goods will be refused to avoid the stupid brokerage fees.

Ouch ,i was bitten once like that, never again .if you really need it delivered to your door USPS and theres a ton of places just over the border,at the crossings, that will hold your packages etc for a nominal fee .personally i use these guys in Abbottsford/Sumas http://www.myshiphappens.com/ .theres also one in Point Roberts, TSB i believe. best to order a few items to make it really worthwhile.

I always ship my products going north of the border using USPS since they go by priority air (or land depending where at from Michigan) and are insured by at least $100-120, extra insurance can be bought. Shipping times are generally 7-10 days but can take longer.

The last lift adapter I sent to BC cost me $75 . Package was 20 lbs, 26" long, 14" wide, and 4" thick so you're not too bad for that long box you're shipping.

Larry

And I was shocked that it got to me so fast, if you don't have a Carbon-one Stand why the heck not!

Sorry had to add that in here. Yes USPS is the only way to go.

I use these guys...

http://www.hagensofblaine.com/

Guest divey

I use Kinek Point. They are strategically located in border communities along the US/Canada. No fee to have an account set up with them. Excellent service and minimal charge for receiving items shipped to them. I'm only about 35 miles from them in Oroville, WA so works great for me. Doug