IGNORED

While I have the rear wheel off . . .

I'm changing the tires on my 2008 RSV with 22,000 km.

Is there any other recommended maintenance that should be done while I have the rear wheel off?

Thanks.

I pull the driveshaft and grease/lubricate everything up once a year. Not really needed that frequently but is a small job to do and makes me feel better. With 22.000 miles on the bike I would have a look at it . Don´t know if there is a write up on the site but if you want to do this and need info then send me a line and I can guide you through it.

The main thing is pulling the shaft from the hub, tightening the acorn nuts the right way so the axle bolt is completely loose and getting the shaft together at the front that can be a little pain to do if you don´t know the trick to do it (did it the hard way the first time and took me quite some time to get it to fit together).

I did mine at tire change last summer with about 10K on it. They didnt look to terrable, a couple bone dry and the rest were thankful I put grease on them as they were well on the way to dry. cleaned off with some scotch brite and emory cloth and lubed reinstalled.

Patience and a well rounded pleeding vocabulary worked for me. More the vocabulary than the other part. It can be a tricky deal. Especially if you let the front drive shaft coupler fall down. There is an access hole to put a probe/screwdriver in to hel hold it up. It just sort of snaps in, but between the wiggling of the front u-joint and the movement of the shaft it can make you wonder if its worth it. :080402gudl_prv:

The easiest way I have found to reinstall the drive shaft is to put the bike in gear that way you know your in instead of beside the U joint. Instead of trying to hold the whole rear end up and stab it I just pull off the drive shaft from the final drive. When removed you will see a spring sticking out of the final drive unit. I will then insert a large allen wrench into the hole on the drive shaft where the spring was and use the wrench to manipulate the drive shaft and have a better feel for the U joint. When it slips in and won't rotate with the bike in gear you got it. Then you can apply a little grease to those splines before you slip the final drive unit back on.

Access hole will be on the drive shaft tube with a rubber plug in it.

http://http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=75163&stc=1&d=1364441143

This would have been good for me to know last friday.

I had pulled the shaft and lubed it while I had the rear wheel off. I didn't know the drive shaft wasn't in the U joint until I tried a test ride.

I ended up pulling the swingarm like the Haynes book says to do.

Holding that U joint up from this access hole would have been MUCH easier.

Cause even pulling the whole swing arm I still had issues lining everything back up.

Edited by karlfitt

Patience and a well rounded pleeding vocabulary worked for me. More the vocabulary than the other part.

I've pulled the driveshaft on my '85 three times, on my '87 twice, on my '06 once, and on my VTX1300 once .... the above method has always worked for me. The VTX was the most difficult and I had to wiggle the u-joint with a screwdriver thru the boot to get the driveshaft in. Never had much problem with the others.

Karl , have you checked the TECH SECTION :think:

Yes I have.

But not when I ran into this.

This thread here would have worked.

But all I could think of at the time was "what does the book say"

So swingarm came off, and all is now good.

But knowing of that access hole would have been MUCH easier than taking off the exhaust, taking off rear cylinder exhaust headers, pulling swingarm then figuring how that was supposed to be easier and getting it all back together.

I think it was four hours my way.

That access holwe should have cut three hours off that. LOL

Yes I have.

But not when I ran into this.

This thread here would have worked.

But all I could think of at the time was "what does the book say"

So swingarm came off, and all is now good.

But knowing of that access hole would have been MUCH easier than taking off the exhaust, taking off rear cylinder exhaust headers, pulling swingarm then figuring how that was supposed to be easier and getting it all back together.

I think it was four hours my way.

That access holwe should have cut three hours off that. LOL

Live And Learn ! :)